Thinking out Loud!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking out Loud!

I've been out of the loop for the past three weeks, went down to Tucson for the birth of my first grandbaby! Curtis David, Edison named after three of his great-grandfathers. So I haven't been quilting, knitting but not quilting.

When I came home this weekend, I had 15+ videos I recorded from PBS- Fons and Porter, Quilt in a day and Sewing with Nancy. What I decided was... I really like Jenny's videos best because she gives us the pattern, she gives us the layout and explains it, she doesn't use fancy rulers for the most part, she doesn't make me feel bad if I'm not using a cutting glove, and she talks to me like an adult not like an adult talking a child. I like that she uses precuts and shows us the shortcuts.

After each PBS video, I thought "NO, not doing that one." Probably only took me 45 minutes to watch, fast forward and delete 15+ videos.

Back to Jenny and MSQC videos! My money and my time will go to the MSQC!

Carrie
    PS My dad was a wise man..."God made babies for young people, 'cause old people can't keep up!"
    Carrie

I cut it twice and it was still too short!

Re: Thinking out Loud!

I agree! I got tired of freezing the recording to see if I could MAYBE figure out what were the dimensions of the cuts.
    I know there is money to be made by us quilters, but there's also an "art" to passing on and sharing your knowledge and I think Jenny & MSQC own the "gallery" on that. I think all we would ever have to do is ask, "What is the measurement of that cut?" and we'd get the answer....willingly.
    I still DVR them, but it doesn't take me but a split second to delete them....just not the same as the warmth that comes from Jenny.
    Barbara
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/CraftySweetPeas

Comment

Marketing seems to be the gift of the Doans. I agree about the F&P videos. They act like figuring out the pattern is a state secret so we will buy the pattern. The Doans figured out that if they give us the pattern, we will buy the fabric from them.
      Cindy

Comment

I totally agree.... Jenny is the best....deservedly so.... Most of the others are too gimmicky....and that glove thing...it's a total fake... Just something more to sell... I think it is the one thing that makes me want to use unladylike like words.... They all make such a point of pulling the stupid thing on... It's probably in their contracts... I think they try to guilt us into using those clunky gloves...

I really don't like it when the only way to make a quilt is yo use the designer's doe isl...and very expensive...rulers...

Yes... Jenny treats us like the intelligent adults we are... Her instructions are clear, and she had fun... And... She teaches us how to use those wonderful precuts.... She has opened a whole new world for thousands of us... I don't feel the need to subscribe...and psy for....any other instructor....

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

I love Jenny,too, but I also love Eleanor. She is such a good teacher. I hear her voice in my head when I'm trying to get pieces put together right. The other one, not Nancy, don't care for as much. Like Nancy too.

Comment

Congratulations on your first Grandson.I hope you had a wonderful time with your Grandson.
            :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

Jenny has my vote too. Just referred my hairdresser to the M* website today.

Comment

Originally posted by seaturtle View Post
                Marketing seems to be the gift of the Doans. I agree about the F&P videos. They act like figuring out the pattern is a state secret so we will buy the pattern. The Doans figured out that if they give us the pattern, we will buy the fabric from them.
                That "secret" thing is one if the reasons I seldom watch F&P videos.... Quilting Quickly is really bad about this.... The host makes a definute point if NOT revealing any measurements........ I never watch the "previews" or trailers of the other shows......since I don't have a subscription.... And don't intend to buy one....

Misdouri Star is so generous with us.... They have proven that the more you give, the more you receive... Genius...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

I like watching Jenny's videos because her instructions are easy to understand. Plus her voice carries through without straining your ears to hear her. I have watch other videos and get aggravated because their voice drops to a lower tone, and they are harder to understand (and I am not hard of hearing).

Comment

I agree about F&P videos. IMO they still do everything the hard way. After subscribing to their magazine for several years I cancelled it. I am a huge fan of Quilty magazine, but that has been discontinued. However, they put an occasional special issue out.
                    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Regarding the Klutz glove, I think it's a great product when teaching children how to quilt.

I watch all the mentioned videos. Fons and Porter's business mainly focuses on the selling of their quilting supplies, their magazines and their videos. The whole purpose of their tutorials is to get you excited about what they are making so you'll purchase their patterns and their supplies. Why would you expect them to give you all the info. for free? Eleanor Burns' business is like Fons and Porter. She's also mainly in the business of selling books and patterns. (They sell fabric but fabric is not the main focus.)

If you view a tutorial that you like and want to make that quilt, I think the price Fons and Porter charges for their digital magazines is quite reasonable considering how many patterns their are in each issue. Good grief - I think they are charging less than $7 an issue. It's also so nice that one can order any back issue as well. You can easily spend way more than that just for one pattern when you look at what others are charging for their quilt designs.

Jenny's company is mainly in the business of selling precuts. That has always been the whole purpose of her tutorials. She shows you how you can use them so you'll purchase precuts. They are very clever to have started publishing their pattern books. In a way they ARE making some money on their patterns. The books are enticing and many of us are purchasing them so we have many of their tutorials on our bookshelves.

I, for one, am very happy that we have so many demos on quilting right at our finger tips.
                      Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; July 12, 2016, 10:44 AM.
                      Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Working...
                      X