Should I purchase a long arm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Should I purchase a long arm?

I think I owe you an apology for my very long post that probably did not help a bit with the question you asked! I do feel a stand up machine is best for me anyway as I can handle "driving the machine" around as opposed to moving the fabric around. The only pain I have in doing that is my legs and back do get tired if I stand there too long and that only happens if the quilt is pretty big then I may need to break it up, rest, and finish later. But I am also almost 68!

There is a learning curve but there is with moving the fabric around to quilt on a domestic machine too.

I got so enthused about telling you life is too short and you're worth it that I didn't really address anything you asked! Sorry about that! I hope you end up with what makes you happy and causes you the least amount of pain doing it!!

Comment

Thank you very much for your advice. I have decided to go for it and purchase the Babylock Coronet. I have six quilts already waiting to be quilted! I love making things from start to finish and did not want to send off to someone. Again thank you to everyone for putting up with my questions!

Shauna

Comment

You will love it. I love Babylock machines!

There are several members here that have the Babylock Tiara. I'm thinking the main difference is a couple of inches of throat/harp space. But you should still be able to quilt large quilts on it. I have the Espire and it has a 7" harp and I was able to quilt a 90" X 108" quilt on it and you will have more that twice the space on yours.

I just remembered how I made a quilting design that I used on that quilt. I took Liz Porter's idea of using freezer paper to make a snowflake type design then ironed the freezer paper to the quilt top and drew the outline with a chalk pencil. Worked like a charm.

What all are you getting with your Coronet?
        Vonnie

Comment

Originally posted by JaniceR View Post
          I think I owe you an apology for my very long post that probably did not help a bit with the question you asked! I do feel a stand up machine is best for me anyway as I can handle "driving the machine" around as opposed to moving the fabric around. The only pain I have in doing that is my legs and back do get tired if I stand there too long and that only happens if the quilt is pretty big then I may need to break it up, rest, and finish later. But I am also almost 68!

There is a learning curve but there is with moving the fabric around to quilt on a domestic machine too.

I got so enthused about telling you life is too short and you're worth it that I didn't really address anything you asked! Sorry about that! I hope you end up with what makes you happy and causes you the least amount of pain doing it!!
          Janice in the beginning I had a bit of a problem with back and shoulder/neck ache and I noticed , I think it was Walters used a particular back brace she used and sold them too. I purchased it and wore it for probably a week when quilting. It really helped alter my posture while quilting. It actually gave me a "memory" on how to stand during the quilting so I rarely even put it on now. I think I used it for a week or two. I think the price was somewhere between $35 and $50 but not sure. Also, like you've learned I do stop and walk around a bit so I'm not standing in one position for long periods. Usually I move around about every half hour for about 5 minutes if even that.
          https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
          Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

well I don't particually like to tell my age but last year at the great age of 66 my husband bought me a longarm and I love it !!! its has a computer and I do mostly E2E designs on it, will it pay for itself, never but that was not the reason he bought it,he knows how much I love quilting and this is just another aspect of making a quilt. For what he spent I would never live long enough to pay for it just figuring how much I will spent on having them quilted, but that's ok, yes if pretty much filled my nice large sewing room but that's ok too, I love it and hope to be able to use for many more years. I say if you want one and have the money and space then go for it.

Comment

I have the Babylock Crown Jewel longarm. It will never pay for itself, but I love it and it brings me great joy! I can do so much more than I used to! I only finish about 15 or so quilts per year, but before that it was 1 -2 quilts per year! I do not regret it one bit! I love making quilts for others and charity. It definitely is not a business for me, but a hobby. I am blessed to be able to have one and also that my family supports me with my hobby!
              Happy Quilting!

Comment

Working...
              X