A SOLID question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A SOLID question?

Wondering if any of you are like me! My goal is to begin building a "stash" of solids... Other than white and beige or grey.. are there any other suggestions of a color to buy in bulk to help us up my print fabric stash... I have lots of JR's , charms and Layer Cakes to use as well.... just wondering?? Share your thoughts if you would... Thanks... GB
    "Each day well-lived and Happy;
    that's all there is to Life!"

Re: A SOLID question?

I keep on hand white, black, grey, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple. I have thought about keep on hand some brown. Usually pinks are very hand to match so I don't keep that color on hand. I don't have time now but later can list out which ones that I do keep on hand. I make children's pillowcases and children's quilts which generally have bright colors and have found the color shades that I keep on hand work perfect for those items plus quilting in general.

Comment

I guess you need to thunk about how you normally buy and use fabrics.... Do you use lots if precuts? Or, do you prefer yardage...

Then...buy solids the same way you would buy...and stash...any other fabric....

Fpr instance... I prefer to work with precuts.... Mostly jelly rolls and charm packs... So... If I wanted to build up a STADH of solid,mu'd probably look for charm parks and jelly rolls...plus, I thunk dome yardSge...or fat quarters...

Good luck...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

I would suggest you take a look at your precuts, pick a color, I tend to keep marbles or fabrics with a slight color variation in my stash, reds, blues, browns, gold/yellow and of course black.
        Beth

Procrastinate. It frees up time to quilt!

Comment

I would blend your solids to go with whatever pre-cuts you already have.

Comment

I use red & white the most

Comment

FQ bundles from Craftsy. Check out this one
              http://www.craftsy.com/supplies/robe...c-bundle/30579
              Preeti
              http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

I would evaluate the precuts you have on hand and think about what types of colors and styles you are drawn to. Is your stash small florals? Civil war or 30s reproductions? I think the answer would be very different depending on what you have already bought. Do you buy clear true colors or do you have mostly toned collections?

Comment

I do not stash prints, only solids. It's a bit tough to stash colors if you are the type that wants to match colors exactly.

What I have found I adore are shot cottons, or anything that reads with some texture. Because most shot cotton is woven with two different color threads, there is a unique color shift that occurs and I find they coordinate a lot better than regular solid cotton.

I go for chocolates, plums, earthy greens, water inspired deep turquoise. I'm not the "matchy matchy" type, I tend to look at the big picture and figure out what shows off the prints the best. I really find a nice surprise every time I go for something unexpected. I love white but get so bored working with it, I just don't stash it now. Plus, white is like red - it's never the right shade and you have to go buy the right one anyhow,

I'm not even big on stashing solids, it's just nice to often have a background fabric ready to go when I buy some new precut. My tastes change over time, I don't want a room full of colors I no longer have a passion for or don't go with the current quilting industry color trends.

Comment

I always have a goodly stash of 'Pepper'. It is an extremely dark navy which I use instead of black - unless you put it next to real black it can pass as black. I find black too harsh.

I can't find my colour charts but it either Kona or Bella.

Comment

I love color so for me it would be bright rainbow colors and some pastels. Of course some black white and cream.
                      sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                      Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                      Sigmund Freud

Comment

I've been buying black honey roll strips. They are good for sashing and borders. For me, my solid go-to's are white and black. They go with most every precut I have. I buy two shades of white though, one is more eggshell.

What I have been doing though is buying a yard of coordinating fabric whenever I buy a precut. Then I'll have border material. I learned this the hard way trying to search for old fabric or find something that works for a border.

Comment

I would consider medium to medium-light greens and blues. Also, black! I also like the mottled or tonal fabrics instead of the solids - but I'll get a solid if I am getting it for a good price.
                          If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

My only beef with black honey buns is all the little pieces of fabric from the pinked edges. Messy! But they are so handy to use. I use wide masking tape to pick up all the lint from my ironing board & wherever the fuzz lands.

Comment

Originally posted by JCY View Post
                              My only beef with black honey buns is all the little pieces of fabric from the pinked edges. Messy! But they are so handy to use. I use wide masking tape to pick up all the lint from my ironing board & wherever the fuzz lands.
                              Oh my goodness, yes! And the white honeybuns are just as bad.
                              If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

Working...
                              X