advice about buying new sewing machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

advice about buying new sewing machine

Hi, I need a new sewing machine and can spend up to $500.00. I piece, quilt and sew a few clothes on my machine. I would really appreciate any advice about which machines are the most reliable. Would like a computerized machine this time around with some of the bells and whistles if possible.

Re: advice about buying new sewing machine

My only advice is if you buy a computerized machine, get the extended warranty with it. Mine is for four years. It covers cleanings as often as I want and checkups. For $150, it was very worth it. I had to call yesterday about Jack, my Juki TL2010Q, which is not computerized and we did not get an extended warranty for it. Yesterday my friend was using it and it would not sew. I could not get him to sew either. After letting it sit by himself for a while, his attitude changed and he started working. I did call the shop we bought him and learned a checkup was $179 and you paid for parts on top of that
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Deonne....my advise would be this....go to sewing machine dealer stores that carries different brands that you would consider and "test drive" the machines in the dealer stores. This way, you can understand how each machine works, what features they have and you can see these functions perform. Then, you can also find out about pricing and financing; you can also see if any of the dealer stores you visit have any special deals or, huge discounts on any machines the store is wanting to decrease in their in store inventories......

I own a Brother Simplicity SB3129...great machine with lots of features...top of the line. I got mine with trade in for under $500.00. I also own a Janome Craft 9700. I got a deal because the dealer was discounting to get space for other inventory.. It's great for embroidery, sewing and quilting. Massive functions!
      Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

Figure out which functions you can't live without and create a wishlist. Go to the manufacturers websites, determine which machines fit your wishlist, and go to the dealers and try them out. Have fun.

Comment

Do all of the above....then google the brand/model you want and see what others have to say. PatternReview.com is one I use....I do think you have to sign up to see the machine reviews.

Comment

I'm partial to Janomes but that was the popular machine in the guild where I used to live. I have been very happy with mine.

Comment

Deonne,

I have purchased several machines since I have been piecing quilts. I went to a good reputable dealer and talked with him. I purchased one of his used machines, and got started. I found I got more machine for the dollar by purchasing a used machine, I realize I didn't get the fun of unpacking the machine and being the first to use it, but have enjoyed the bells and whistles I got. I soon decided I was ready for a "Better" machine and went back. My dealer offers a one year parts and labor warranty on his used machines. I told him what features I wanted and he showed me what machines he had available in the price range I wanted. Again I selected a used machine. He gave me what I paid for the machine I was trading in off the machine and I have repeated that twice.

I now have a Janome 6600 Professional which has all the bells and whistles I want and I still haven't put out as much money as I would with purchasing a new machine. If you hang around the forum for a while you will meet Jean Sewing Machine and I blame her for my trading for the 6600. She went to a work shop at my dealer (she traveled from St. Louis to Versailles MO about 2 or 2.5 hours) and saw the machine and when we had lunch that day she told me that she almost bought it herself.

I can't stress enough to find a good reliable dealer. I had to go 45 miles from home to find this dealer and I'm lucky that I found them. I had seen their business for years, it is out in the country on their farm. They are Mennonites. He is a Bernina dealer and has a large facility. I can call and get him on the phone and the couple of times I had trouble with my machine and take it in he saw me pull up in the lot and came out and carried it in. He sat down and worked on my machine right then and carried the machine back to the car for me.

Good luck on your quest for a new machine and I wish you many hours of stitching fun. I hope to see a lot of you on the forums. There are so many great people here that will befriend you and share their wealth of quilting in a heartbeat.

Comment

Originally posted by BobW View Post
                Deonne,

I have purchased several machines since I have been piecing quilts. I went to a good reputable dealer and talked with him. I purchased one of his used machines, and got started. I found I got more machine for the dollar by purchasing a used machine, I realize I didn't get the fun of unpacking the machine and being the first to use it, but have enjoyed the bells and whistles I got. I soon decided I was ready for a "Better" machine and went back. My dealer offers a one year parts and labor warranty on his used machines. I told him what features I wanted and he showed me what machines he had available in the price range I wanted. Again I selected a used machine. He gave me what I paid for the machine I was trading in off the machine and I have repeated that twice.

I now have a Janome 6600 Professional which has all the bells and whistles I want and I still haven't put out as much money as I would with purchasing a new machine. If you hang around the forum for a while you will meet Jean Sewing Machine and I blame her for my trading for the 6600. She went to a work shop at my dealer (she traveled from St. Louis to Versailles MO about 2 or 2.5 hours) and saw the machine and when we had lunch that day she told me that she almost bought it herself.

I can't stress enough to find a good reliable dealer. I had to go 45 miles from home to find this dealer and I'm lucky that I found them. I had seen their business for years, it is out in the country on their farm. They are Mennonites. He is a Bernina dealer and has a large facility. I can call and get him on the phone and the couple of times I had trouble with my machine and take it in he saw me pull up in the lot and came out and carried it in. He sat down and worked on my machine right then and carried the machine back to the car for me.

Good luck on your quest for a new machine and I wish you many hours of stitching fun. I hope to see a lot of you on the forums. There are so many great people here that will befriend you and share their wealth of quilting in a heartbeat.
                Yay, Robert! 6600 still my all time favorite machine!

Comment

I suggest sewing on several brands to see which machine you like.
                  Don't forget to look at used machines, they are great deals.
                  It's doubtful you will get a good brand machine for only $500.
                  A good machine will last a lifetime and be dependable.
                  I prefer Bernina machines.
                  Cheap machines are disposable and will only last a few years.
                  I prefer to buy a name brand machine that lasts a lifetime,
                  instead of several disposable machines every 5 years or so.
                  I would recommend a computerized machine, with the option
                  Of different needle positions and a knee lift is also a great option.
                  Take your time and read information on the machines you like.
                  Consumer comments are a big help.

Comment

I'm pretty sure all the big names have something in your price range. You may not get all the bells and whistles- so try to figure out what you really want and don't want. Pfaff makes some nice machines in that range. Start looking for sales too- it's getting to be that time of year when the "latest and greatest" come out and dealers try to move inventory to make room.
                    If you don't ask, you don't get. Ghandi

Toni

Comment

Originally posted by shermur View Post
                      Deonne....my advise would be this....go to sewing machine dealer stores that carries different brands that you would consider and "test drive" the machines in the dealer stores. This way, you can understand how each machine works, what features they have and you can see these functions perform. Then, you can also find out about pricing and financing; you can also see if any of the dealer stores you visit have any special deals or, huge discounts on any machines the store is wanting to decrease in their in store inventories......

I own a Brother Simplicity SB3129...great machine with lots of features...top of the line. I got mine with trade in for under $500.00. I also own a Janome Craft 9700. I got a deal because the dealer was discounting to get space for other inventory.. It's great for embroidery, sewing and quilting. Massive functions!
                      Sherri, this is my 3rd attempt to post - obviously, I am an idiot. I have a SB3129 and hate it for FMQ. If you do FMQ could you provide machine settings, thread wt, needle type/size and any other info? Have been working on FMQ over a year and I do not want to ruin my top. For piecing the machine is fine, bit wish I had gotten something better. This is my last attempt to post... I give up. �� Thank you.

Comment

@ [email protected]

I sent you a private message, sweetie! Call me.....
                        Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X