How Do You Manage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How Do You Manage?

I live alone and some days still don't find time to sew. I've only started quilting a few years ago after my divorce, and grown children moved out on their own. Since I still work outside the home and spend 2 hours traveling back and forth to work, some days during the week, I get absolutely nothing done when I get home. (Like today, I am so tired, I'll probably go to bed really early once I get home.) I remember reading on this forum earlier this year, that even if it's just 15 minutes, it can still be productive sewing. So, I try to fit it in when I can and don't worry when I can't. I definitely do not produce the number of quilts that some do, but that's OK. I'm not in a contest with anyone. Other times, I just enjoy cruising this forum to see the beautiful things others are making and be happy for them. I've also learned to carve out me time, and not worry about the house being spotless, although I am making an effort to de-clutter, in hopes of maybe one day downsizing.

Comment

I think everyone has to decide what works for them, their family, their household. Having things super neat & dusted is not as much a priority for me now as it used to be when I was younger & had more energy & when I was a stay at home mom. I worked swing shift for 18 yrs. after DH became medically retired & disabled, so that made a big difference. We rarely have visitors--it's just DH & me. No one "drops in", so I don't feel like my house has to be white glove presentable at all times. If I want to sew, I'll go sew. I don't have as much time to sew as I'd like, primarily because I'm caregiver for DH. I pretty much have to do most things around here now, since he no longer is physically able to do much of what he used to do. But I still carve out time for sewing/quilting. I feel good if I can work at my quilting 1 hr. a day. Some days it doesn't happen at all, but progress still is made. I don't put myself on a guilt trip because the furniture needs to be dusted, or boxes need to be sorted. I keep up with the important stuff.

Comment

How do I manage?
        Haphazardly
        Chaotically
        Messily
        Poorly
        Preeti
        http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

ohh, that is me!!! I just returned home to AZ after a couple months in Illinois. My trip home with 2 dogs, two sewing machines and all the fabric I bought along the way was wonderful. The restocking (fridge), cleaning, unpacking, and putting away is coming along... slowly, very slowly. Laundry is piling up and I still have flannel sheets on my bed. I am GLAD to be home; my house, my mess!!

Comment

Sometimes, a quilters house falls to pieces! I used to be more like the ant in the fable about the grasshopper and the ant. Now I am a little of both.
            Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

I grew up with a stay-at-home mom that was fanatical about cleaning house. The beds were made everyday, we dusted and vacuumed every day. At 20 we started supper for my dad who would be home at 50 and immediately eat. Saturday mornings were shopping for groceries and necessities. Laundry was done twice a week. Sewing happened when the house was spotless, ready for drop-in company at any time. It all seems nauseating to think about it now. I just need to be at home. I actually accomplish more sewing and housework,laundry etc when I'm home for the day and work it all in together. I can start the long arm or the embroidery machine and then start the washer, dryer and dishwasher - then sit down and sew or cut something out as my reward. We live in the country, on a farm no less. Spotless doesn't happen. People call before dropping by. I have a roomba that does the vacuuming that helps with the pet hair. DH does not complain and helps very little with house chores. He considers my sewing therapy and knows it's cheaper than actual therapy and healthier than the occasional freaking out. I have an outlet for stress and anxiety and he supports my crazy. It's easier to keep the house marginally presentable without kids in house now that they've grown and gone. And with a few hours of extra cleaning it can be ready for visitors. Sewing makes me happy, calm and agreeable. Fanatical housecleaning does not.

Comment

I use the timer on the stove sometimes.....when I really need to do housework. Half hour of work and the next half hour to play and sew.
                "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
                Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

Well, I get pretty anxious if the apartment isn't clean and stuff picked up. Unfortunately my knees make it hard to stand long enough to do much cleaning not to mention negotiating the flight of stairs I have to take stuff to the garbage or the car if I want to get rid of anything. Unless someone comes over to help (which they do once a month), only the "real" garbage gets thrown out. Even getting up and down from the sewing machine is difficult. So my place is messy. I'll be getting a knee replacement soon (hopefully before end of summer if insurance can get their act together) and oddly enough the first thing I am looking forward to is being able to clean. Truthfully I hate housework, but I also hate clutter. But one thing I have learned (and hope is now ingrained in my mind) is that no one really cares about the mess. You know, I've been to my friends houses and some of them are worse, some are better, but none are spotless showcases of domestic perfection. So when I can clean again, I hope I don't get back into "spotless" mode. Sewing is much more fun, you know :-)

Comment

Working...
                  X