How Do You Manage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Do You Manage?

I am missing my sewing room so bad that I can hardly stand it. I am taking a short break from cleaning house because the ol' back is killing me. Had company all last week including a precious 3 year old and now I am cleaning up the mess and trying to get some laundry done. I see all of your posts and it seems to me that you all manage to spend way more time in your sewing rooms than I do. I cook lunch for my husband every day which does take time and I have to run errands but I try to do that one day a week. I really think I am organized but it seems that so many things keep me away from what I LOVE to do. I saw a really great post on here one time where a lady said that she spends an hour or two every day with housework, watering her plants, and planning her meals for the day. Then she is free to spend the rest of the day in her sewing room. I am seriously going to try that. Quilting and sewing are great stress relievers for me and I need it. However, I cannot be happy in my sewing room when my house is messy and dusty.

Re: How Do You Manage?

Take a break. The "mess" isn't going anywhere. It will wait for you to gt back to it. And any reason hubby can't get his OWN lunch?

Comment

Well, maybe a question to ask is "which makes you happier, having a spotless house or spending time sewing"? One or the other usually gives.
      I am Sew Blessed!
      Alina

Comment

I put a limit on the amount of time I spend on gardening and housework daily. And I only cook for myself, so leftovers are OK. So is carryout. I'd rather have my walking time with my dog, talk time with friends, reading time, and sports on the tv while I sew. I make sure my schedule gets me what I want. And if one day is a bust, well, there's always tomorrow.

As to cooking lunch, my mouth is agape. Admittedly I am divorced from a complete pain of a guy, so I know what you face. But. Teach a man to fish.....

Comment

I do the basics... Bathroom, kitchen.... Some laundry, etc... Even when my husband was alive, housework wad never a big priority.... If I feel like sewing, or reading, or watching a good movie on my iPad, that's what I do.... relax, and head gir yiur sewing space...

Sorry, but it really is time for your husband to learn to prepare his own lunch... holy moly.... Maybe he coukd even make you done thing to munch on while you sew...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

It is not easy carving out time for myself so I know how you feel. My dh works from home, I work 25 hours a week outside the house (2nd shift), and work as his secretary about two hours a day usually in the morning (sometimes more of he has alot of typing). I only vac 2x week bc we have a dog who sheds. I keep the dishes washed, beds made, bathrooms clean 2x week, and we hate clutter so we both stay on top of that. I don't dust until I can write my name in it!! (Never did like dusting) I hq so I can make progress on things in the evening while watching tv with my dh and so he won't feel like I am always shutting myself off in my sewing room. I find I just have to take it a day at a time. Does not work for me to say ok I will sew tomorrow from 9 till noon bc invariably that's when something comes up and I won't get in any sewing at all. This possibly explains why it sometimes takes me a year to complete a quilt!!! The slowness of it really doesn't bother me bc I love each and every quilt that I make. But I am constantly amazed at the number of projects everybody else on the Forum can crank out--I just can't. But at least I don't feel guilty about it.

Comment

Maybe try using the timer, I do that sometimes. Set it for 15 minutes or whatever and clean for that amount. Like yesterday I spent 10 min going through old clothes. Then it was a 1/2 hr doing dishes. I hate towel drying dishes so today I will put them away. I like to break up jobs instead of spending so much time doing it all at once.

My SIL's dh had two strokes in a row so she does most of the cooking. They eat out a lot! So I won't get on you about making lunch because we don't know your situation.
              🌺 Lorie

Comment

I saw a suggestion once to set a minute timer for doing various tasks. This could work either way for you. You could time your housework, then do some sewing. Or you could time your sewing, then move on to housework. I think the important point is to schedule time for activities you enjoy. If you just try to fit it when everything else is done it probably won't happen. Is housework ever truly done?

Hula moon beat me to it! Hers posted while I was typing. LOL

Comment

It is your choice. The only one keeping you from sewing and being happy is you. If a clean house is making you happier, than do that. Your choice, you decide.
                  Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

The good thing about it is, we're not in a contest to see who can get the most stuff done.

Comment

I recently went back to work, prior to that I did all the chores both inside and outside the house, which was fine for both of us. At first DH assumed things would be the same. (NOT) By some miracle I refrained from nagging him about helping, and he started to come around on his own. We trade kitchen chores, if you cook the other cleans up, and he started feeding the fur babies and doing his own ironing. He's also done the grocery shopping on occasion, and helped with the gardening sometimes. That has been the extent so far. I'm not sure he even knows where the vacuum is. Baby steps...
                      I feel your pain. Anyway, the timer thing is a great idea. Sometimes I "time" myself in the sewing room by the buzz of the washer or drier. I've also downsized my projects and tried finishing up UFO's that I've put aside for one reason or another instead of starting something new. And I am a very messy person in the sewing room, organizing it and keeping it that way has helped me a lot. A little progress once in a while will still get the job done. Oh! And i learned the hard way that "easy" and "you can finish his in a day" don't apply to the speed I work at, so I try not to worry about it.

Comment

I grew up in a home where all work was done before anything else, so I still fight that deeply ingrained tendency to put sewing off till everything is perfect. I also have a hubby that works exceedingly hard so that I could always be home with our children. I feel it is my "job" to keep the house just so and have hot meals, cold drinks, and fresh baked cookies ready at his beck and call. He appreciates that I make home life pleasant and comfortable and I appreciate being home. It works for us, even if many would see it as so old fashioned. I know I am happier and less stressed if I get to sew and quilt a bit each day. He wants me happy. But life often gets in my way, so I understand how you are feeling completely. Since I am not sewing and quilting as a business, I try to keep it in its place and let it be a creative and fun hobby and love. I am still trying to find balance in my life. I struggle with never enough hours in a day. I just try to do a bit of everything each day and know that occasionally I will have a whole day here and there to spend in my studio.

Comment

In my moms day Saturday was cleaning day. It was just her and I and all the cleaning and laundry for the week was done Sat morning. Sunday morning the linens were changed and washed. After that relaxation and a nice Sunday Dinner. Or an afternoon spent with her sisters.
                          I started that routine but after I went to work fell behind. Soon Mom had to move in with us and we were back on track with her helping. When Mom passed away I went to work longer hours and told hubby he had to help clean. It certainly is not done on any routine basis as we both hate it but it gets done when needed .He does dishes on the weekends. I make his lunch if we are home or pack it if its a work day. My husband does not cook. Its fine I sew when I can. Mornings before work, my day off or the weekends. My house my rules, No family left so no visitors to try and impress...and if their were and my house isn't clean enough well by golly the door is right there and don't let it hit you in the backside as you leave. This is not the 50's and I refuse to be a slave to a neat as a pin house. Life is too short and I want to enjoy some of it.
                          sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                          Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                          Sigmund Freud

Comment

I have lupus so I never have enough energy to do everything I want to do. The timer idea is very helpful to me. I can do housework for 15 minutes then take a break. I try to schedule sewing time regardless of the cleanliness of the house or else it would never happen. And I try to take a walk every day. And I try to see one friend once a week. I know it doesn't sound like much but sometimes it is more than I can do.

Jeannette

Comment

Another thing to do is using commercial breaks. I DVR almost everything so I can skip over them, but sometimes I let them run and do little things. They are perfect timers since there are so many dang many. lol
                              🌺 Lorie

Comment

Working...
                              X