Feed Sack Swap Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feed Sack Swap Anyone?

I have a couple of old bulk flour/sugar sacks that are not whole anymore, but was wondering at the quantities of these beauties in your sewing stash. I really like vintage cloth and was wondering if anyone else does? Would anyone be interested in some kind of forum/group swap if I started one? Any input is greatly appreciated!
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Re: Feed Sack Swap Anyone?

All my feed sacks are paper or plastic.

Comment

Originally posted by shirleyknot View Post
      All my feed sacks are paper or plastic.

mmmmmmmmmm
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

Seriously, horse feed.

Comment

I love the reproduction prints from the 1930's and would love to have a stash to trade with. I have a couple of plain white feedsacks and that is as close as I have come. Maybe someday I will get lucky enough to come across some of them.

Comment

Ebay seems to have them, but they are more expensive than new fabric. I want to but my stash if feed sack poor.

Maybe if you start it and have a long lead time it will allow those to gather.

Comment

If I had feed sacks, I would probably want to keep them unless I had an unlimited supply of ones that look the same. I saw a couple at an auction, but the auctioneer passed right over them instead of auctioning! I would have bought them!

Comment

I love the reproduction prints. I remember the feed sacks as being pretty coarse, not what we would normally want for a quilt or clothing, in modern times. My mom made dresses for me out of feed sacks. The nostalgia is better than the reality was. (as so many things are, haha)

Comment

Perhaps a 30s repro fabric swap would be easier. I will start a new thread and pose this question.
                  Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

I don't understand the interest in feed sacks. Who even has them anymore? Back whenever, I think people used them for quilts because they were commonly available, pretty, & because maybe they couldn't afford fabrics & they were frugal & wanted to use what they had. This is the most beautiful feed sack quilt I ever saw, which was at a quilt show.Long. Quilt Guild Show - Oct. 2014 033.jpgLong. Quilt Guild Show - Oct. 2014 034.jpg I believe the quilter designed this herself.

Comment

I know I wore some feed sack dresses when I was little.

Comment

If I had feed sacks I would be hoarding them. I don't think they are that easy to come by and you need pretty many to make a quilt.

Comment

That is a beautiful quilt!

Comment

While I do have some original 30 fabrics including feed sacks, they were collected from my husband's family. I have plans to make him a special quilt with those prints, but wonder if I have enough. I am sorry to say that I would not be interested with a swap of these precious prints.....no matter how much I adore them and would love to have more or a greater variety. There is just something so sweet, simple, frugal......just precious to me about that difficult time period and how women got through it. I didn't live through it, so I am sure that colors my view.

Comment

I have a double wedding ring quilt top/flimsy that is made with feed sacks. It was hand pieced by my great grandmother. Some of the fabric pieces have dates stamped on them from the 1920's-1930's.
                              It is beautiful and not coarse feeling at all!
                              I have plans to finish it (to hand quilt it, of course) some day.
                              I do need to repair a few areas that are moth or mouse eaten though.
                              I found it in the attic after my grandparents died. No one else wanted it! (Had to be passed over by my 9 aunts & uncles, and older cousins for me to have gotten it!)
                              Happy Quilting!

Comment

Working...
                              X