Flannel Rag Quilts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flannel Rag Quilts

I have some large flannel remnants and also quite a bit of clearance purchased yardage that I've been hoarding to make a rag quilt or two. I've got the snips already, so I just need to get cutting and sewing.

I'm wondering how many here have made flannel rag quilts, and what size you chose to cut your squares or blocks. Did any of you do strips or long rows instead? Did you use batting (cotton?) or flannel inside, or have you made one without batting?

I don't have anyone in particular in mind to give these to, so I'll just wing it as far as size and color are concerned. I'd like to try one without batting for myself because I experience frequent "personal summers", even in cooler weather. If I decide to gift it later, I 'd like to know that it would work out okay. I'm also having a batting supply crisis at the moment (pretty broke) and need to work with the scraps I have or nothing. I don't think that the poly batt scraps are a good idea for flannel, are they? I stopped using 100% poly when my quilting improved, but still have lots of trimmings from my first quilts stuffed in the bags they came in.

If anyone would like to chime in with their rag quilting experiences, I'd appreciate it. Aside from the snips and a 1/2" seam, are there any other must haves or must dos? Anything you wouldn't do again?

Re: Flannel Rag Quilts

I usually cut my squares at 7" (6" finished) I also like using flannel as the batting, because it gives an extra layer to rag and makes it fluffier. You can assemble it any way you prefer, but I always do mine in rows. You can also make your squares any size you want, it is after all your quilt. I have even seen them made in strips. Just have fun with it.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
    sigpic

Comment

I have made a few rag quilts. One was all 8" flannel squares, front and back, with 7" squares of cotton batting. I sewed 1/2" seams to the front of the quilt and ragged them.

Another quilt was made of 8" flannel squares alternating with a 4 square patch made from four 4.5" flannel squares (with 3.5" cotton batting). This also took 1/2" seams to the front. (I have another one of these to finish!)

Before sewing the squares together, I stitched an X across each square to hold the flannel and batting together.

I would use either cotton batting, or more flannel for the middle layer. Because the flannel is so warm, I think batting with polyester would make the quilt too warm. (Unless, it is meant for someone in the northern climes in the winter.)
      Last edited by Sylvia H; July 1, 2016, 10:56 AM.
      If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

I making my first one now. 7 inch squares with an x across each square. 1/2 inch seams. I used flannel for the batting for the reasons above.

Jeannette

Comment

I made one with flannel front, chambray back and warm & natural batting. That thing was super heavy. I made my daughter one with 3 layers of quilt store quality flannel. It too was heavy and ragged really well. Those squares were cut at 7 inches, with an X sewn to stabilize the layers. If I make any more, I will use quality flannel on the exterior and pre-shrunk, cheaper flannel in the center so that it is a bit lighter in weight.
          K is for Karen 😊​..................
          Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
          T - is it TRUE?
          H - is it HELPFUL?
          I - is it INSPIRING?
          N - is it NECESSARY?
          K - is it KIND?

Comment

I make my rag quilts with super thin poly batting and they are very light. I have mixed cotton and flannel squares in the same quilt and sew the x across the square to hold the batting in place.

Comment

Hmm, if even the flannel makes it heavy, I wonder if muslin might work. I wish I had a washing machine in my place and could make up a test piece, but I have enough trouble getting to the laundromat as it is...

Comment

Decent cotton on top, muslin on the back, and flannel for the batting. Any size square I feel like. Latest one uses a layer cake from MSQ.

Decided to use sashing instead of ragging edges. I mostly FMQ a motif to hold it all together. No one except the cats in the family likes flannel. They will wear cotton nightware and fleece shirts. I prewash the flannel.

Comment

For 9/11 our group made hundreds of rag quilts for the families who lost police, fire or em workers. I found the ones i liked best had thin poly batting that was cut 1/2 smaller than the flannel squares. Assembly the layers, sew a big X and then join the blocks in rows. I made a few from all cotton squares, top flannel and back cotton works well also - so use up your scraps.

Comment

I used 5 inch squares. My best recommendation is to use garden snips to do the ragging. Got mine - by Fiskars - at Home Depot for about $12. They are still really sharp, 4 years later. Also, you might want to plan to do the snipping a little at a time, or get a bunch of Ibuprofen before you start...

Comment

I have a lot of information about making rag quilts in my User Notes. Just click under my picture here, then click on Profile and then User Notes.
                      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Barb, thank you so much for the info on rag quilts. It's good to know I can wash it at home and I don't have to go out to a commercial laundry.

Sally, what a brilliant idea to use garden snips!! I have some Cutco ones that would be just perfect!

Jeannette

Comment

I've made 5 rag quilts. I make them with 10" squares which makes it easy to use a layer cake. I use this tutorial and find it very easy. I also use the quilting she uses in the tutorial instead of the usual X. http://bloomandblossom.blogspot.com/...-tutorial.html
                          The one flannel rag quilt I made was flannel front, back and I used warm and natural cotton batting. It is nice and warm but it was for my Mom who was always cold. As the link states, I make the flannel squares 10" and 10" backing but I cut the batting 9". Sew at 1/2". I also bind mine. Great easy fun quilts that make fast gifts. If you google rag quilts images, there are some really cool ones out there that I'd like to try next. My finished ones are in my albums if you'd like to peek.
                          I am Sew Blessed!
                          Alina

Comment

Working...
                          X