Oh dear, another lot to hide!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh dear, another lot to hide!

I merrily came home from fabric shopping this morning, delighted that I had bought the last of the fabrics I needed for my first ever Bargello. I put the car away in the garage, put on my sloppy 'around the house" clothes and slippers, turned the heater on, left my umbrella on the porch to dry and smiled at the bucketing rain outside, content in my purchase euphoria and excited anticipation of an afternoon of cutting and planning. Until...............oh no, someone has come into my sewing room whilst I was out and completely changed the colour shading of my already purchased last week fabrics! My new fabrics, (all $50 worth I might add) don't match, blend, complement or smile nicely at my existing fabrics AT ALL. And what's more, the gremlin who changed my fabrics in my sewing room also obviously changed the colours and shades of the little samples in my bag that I took to the shop too because looking at them I am left scratching my head and wondering...."What the heck was I thinking of and looking at" when I was in the store buying the fabric that I came home with this morning! Ah well, off to find room in my deepest darkest cupboard for the offending parcel of new acquisition......maybe I can use it one day....maybe......

Re: Oh dear, another lot to hide!

Oh dear. How dare someone go into your home and do these awful things to your fabric. THE NERVE!!

I hope you find a new project for those 'other' fabrics.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

This made me laugh - thank you
      I have been reorganizing my stash - most of it, I still love. Some of it though.....

Comment

Well, I was going to suggest taking a sample of your fabrics with you as you shop, but I see you did that. Could it be the lighting in the store brought out more yellow or grey in all the fabrics? Try looking at them again on a sunny day, and see if they blend better. If not, stick them back in the closet.

Comment

I'm not one to tell someone not to add fabric to their stash, but don't be so quick to put that new stuff away. Rainy day lighting is different for one, and sometimes in a bargello, a strip only needs to get along with the strips that touch it on either side. Just like in painting, if they blend too much, you end up with mud. Contrast is a good thing!

Comment

I have to agree. Look at them again and put them out altogether. They may look better than you think.
            Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
            Terry

Comment

I have often been less than happy with some of my choices, but went ahead and used them anyway. Guess what? It all works out in the end and I end up loving it.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the commiserations. Alas, I have had another look at them all under morning light and am no closer to feeling enamoured by them than I was yesterday. sigh......now if only DH would buy another motorcycle, or thingummy for the garage...well then.......I wouldn't feel so bad! haha

Comment

Take a photo and post it. We will let you know if they match or clash

Comment

Following everyones advise about taking a black and white photo of my fabrics to check the shading (thanks everyone) I also printed out a picture of the quilt in black and white to get a better idea of the shading required and after the debacle of recent purchases I'm scared witless and so I've decided to just stay with the 13 fabrics I've got and do a much simpler bargello with just a simple order of darkest to lightest for my first effort. Time down the road to attempt the 24 fabric one with all its changes in shades and colours. So here's my final selection for my beginner bargello. The lightest fabric is actually a very palest grey with soft pastel blues in a floral....looks as though its not in the right spot but I'm happy with it "in real life"! Yeah, don't know what happened to the bottom of the black/white photo...meh...stuff happens.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by just4me; July 2, 2016, 03:27 AM.

Comment

That will make a gorgeous bargello!
                      Peggiep
                      "I don't need to get organized, I just need a bigger sewing room." :)

Comment

That is going to be gorgeous, I love your selection for the blue colors, Have fun and post picture when you get it done. Better still, take a picture of it laid out with your camera and then look at the picture. I can always see if something isn't quite what I envisioned when I look at it through the camera lens.

Comment

Working...
                        X