I'm a bad girl....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a bad girl....

We've gone I liar threads, but I can't resist starting another one,,, I'm having a good day...

What quilty thing have you done...or not done that would definitely bring down the wrath of the Quilt Police?

I'll start...

I do this sll the time......

I spray baste everything....and I do it on my design wall...(the floor is a little taachy)....that's not the problem...the problem is that I . I have only one window in my sewing room, and I can't reach it.... So.... I spray away, without properly ventilating the room....I fo it all the time... .... I know I shouldn't do that, but there's no where else to baste a decent sized quilt.... I also know there are odorless sprays, but I can't always get them...

Today is nice out, so I do have other windows open, but that hasn't always been possible ... Never had any problems. And, it helps that I live alone... The little digs don't seem to mind, either..

Whose next?

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Re: I'm a bad girl....

I also spray baste without ventilation. It's not bothered me in the past. Although I am usually at the church so it's a very large space.

And I am just tickled to say that on the last two quilts (61 x 95 banners for the church) I only spray basted and quilted on my Janome and got NO PUCKERS ON THE BACK!!! Yes, I'm "yelling" because I can't believe it.
    The trail is the thing----Louis L'Amour

Comment

I often - very often - cut my fabric without ironing it first. While I don't mind ironing, it is inconvenient right now, so I take the chance that the fabric is lying very flat when I cut.
      If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

OK, let them come get me. To save a point I will narrow that 1/4 seam to a 1/8 if needed. My fear is my quilt will fall apart in the wash! But it LOOKS good. LOL
        Diana Grey

Comment

I adjust my seams too Grey Lady. I'm also very bad for squaring up blocks before I sew them into rows. Sometimes I square up my quilts, but not all the time.
          🍄 Heather🍄

Comment

I don't always square up my quilts. If it's way off I will, often involves ripping, so I guess I'm just forgetful or stubborn. Not sure which.

Comment

Spray baste indoors. No ventilation. There, I said it. And now I know I'm not alone! Thanks, easyquilts and trailer dancer!

Comment

I prewash NOTHING!

Comment

I cut paper with my good scissors and rotary cutters. I rarely square up a quilt. After I finish quilting I fold the quilt in half. If it's close to square looking I bind it and move on.
                  :icon_happy:

sigpic

Comment

I'm guilty of most of the above. However, can't use spray baste without ventilation because I have asthma. I continue to pin quilts which is a real pain.

Comment

I use paper. Paper, paper, paper! I start my seams with paper. I stabilize my fabric with paper. I pin paper to my quilt top and trace it with my Juki/Little Gracie. I make sample blocks out of colored paper just to see where seams will meet. I am a paper nut!
                      Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

I sew over pins and cut paper with my sewing scissors.

Comment

Originally posted by Carolnnc View Post
                          After I finish quilting I fold the quilt in half. If it's close to square looking I bind it and move on.
                          I do this too!

Comment

Paper scissors vs. Fabric scissors - What's up with that? If it cuts, I use it!

I don't always change my sewing machine needle after every project as I'm usually working on several at any given time.

Comment

OMG, this is a great thread, thanks for starting. I do most of the above especially with scissors. I spray baste with a ceiling fan right over my cutting table and I wear a mask so I do not directly breath in the fumes - it is glue. Not sure what that glue would do to our lungs over time. p.s. please don't tell my nurse daughters lol. I try to remember to change my needles. I try to remember to take out the pins.

It is so good to hear we are all guilty little quilters. We do not ever need the quilt police to show up.
                              Karen
                              Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

Working...
                              X