Martelli Blad on Regular Mat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Martelli Blad on Regular Mat

Thinking of switching to a Martelli cutter.

Because it purports to be so much better at cutting through many layers, will it eat up my Olfa mat? I plan to get a Martelli mat when it's time to replace, but have about another year left on my Olfa mat.

Thanks.
    Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link: :icon_woohoo:
    http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Re: Martelli Blad on Regular Mat

I am not sure my mat is an Olfa - but I do know it is not a Martelli mat. However, I have used my Martelli cutter many, many times, and the mat does not seem to have been affected in any way.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

I think you'll be fine. The biggest difference between the Martelli cutter and my Olfa cutter is the ergonomics. It took me some time getting used to the Martelli cutter, but now it's fine. I did not notice any issues when cutting on my Olfa mat with the Martelli cutter.

Comment

It works just fine on the Olfa mats...you are going to love the cutter!! It does take a short time to get used to but once you do you won't go back.
        sigpic

"May there always be work for your hands to do"

Comment

I use my Martelli on an Olfa mat all the time. I've never seen any evidence that Martelli is tougher on the mat than a Fiskar or Olfa cutter is.

Make sure you watch the Martelli cutter how-to video on YouTube. I loved my cutter for many weeks, then I saw the YouTube video, and THEN I REALLY started loving that Martelli.
          Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

thank you all
            Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link: :icon_woohoo:
            http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Comment

Opposite question.......can I use a regular rotary cutter on the Martelli mat?

Comment

Originally posted by SuzyQue View Post
                Opposite question.......can I use a regular rotary cutter on the Martelli mat?
                absolutely, I do all the time
                K is for Karen 😊​..................
                Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                T - is it TRUE?
                H - is it HELPFUL?
                I - is it INSPIRING?
                N - is it NECESSARY?
                K - is it KIND?

Comment

Thanks, Karen. I will order tha mat today......birthday gift for me done! Thanks, honey. SWEET!

Comment

All blades are similar. Unless Marteli makes a magic blade it's probably no different. Manufacturers can use harder steel, more precise grinding, grind the edge of the blade at a slightly different angle, but yeah there is nothing wildly different about any blade. I only buy Clover blades now because they come with a protective cover (and I have enough Olfa cases to use for disposal for a long while). You can bet there are people who use cheap Harbor Freight blades in their Martelli cutters.

I think the Martelli cutter just ensures with good ergonomics that your blade stays upright and doesn't wiggle and lean. It's harder to make nice and thorough cuts when you wobble and don't use good technique.

I think a dull or nicked blade isn't going to be good for any mat and will wear it out faster. In my opinion the most important thing is to make sure the blade is changed when necessary or before. I balk at the cost of blades, but they're still cheaper than stitches and bandages after the cutter jumps and hits a finger. As well, fresh blades help you cut faster and more accurately, which makes for more pleasurable quilting!

Comment

Working...
                    X