Calculating yardage for border

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calculating yardage for border

Hi everyone, how many times has this been asked? I'm sure you're getting a little tired of it. If only I could find a "guide for dummies" on calculating yardage for borders, or any part of the quilt for that matter. They seem to print "guide for dummies" on everything under the sun except for this important thing. So let me ask my friends here and you have always helped me on any issue with my quilting. I'm ready to buy fabric for an outside border. My top measures 36"x47.5". How much yardage do I need and how many strips to cut and would I cut from selvage to selvage? I always go with mitered borders.

I've been quilting for many years but still consider myself a beginner. I seem to have memory lost since I've had my little stroke. You all have a good restful night. What would I do without you????????
    sigpicLinda :icon_wave:

Re: Calculating yardage for border

I like the calculators included on this site. The one fact I saw missing from your message was how wide do you want the border to be. This site below has an option for mitered vs. regular corners.

http://www.quiltersparadiseesc.com/Calculators.php
    Karen
    Spring, TX

Comment

I use the same calculators as Karen. I visit that site frequently.
      Cindy

Comment

Originally posted by KarenC View Post
        I like the calculators included on this site. The one fact I saw missing from your message was how wide do you want the border to be. This site below has an option for mitered vs. regular corners.

http://www.quiltersparadiseesc.com/Calculators.php
        I thought a 4" border. Sorry I forgot to mention that. I will check out the online calculator.

Comment

I use the Robert Kaufman quilt calculator app.

Comment

You would need 5 4-1/2" strips, 5 times 4-1/2 is 22-1/2". This would be 2/3 of a yard. Some stores ( M* is one of them ) don't sell 1/3 yard cuts so go up to 3/4 yard 27" just to make sure you have enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
              You would need 5 4-1/2" strips, 5 times 4-1/2 is 22-1/2". This would be 2/3 of a yard. Some stores ( M* is one of them ) don't sell 1/3 yard cuts so go up to 3/4 yard 27" just to make sure you have enough.
              I followed quilters paradise calculator and I came up with 2/3 yard also, then I figured for the binding and came up with 1/2 yard. Like you said, always buy a little extra to be on the safe side. That little online calculator is awesome. Thanks again.

Comment

I use the Robert Kaufman app on my smarter-than-I-am phone.

Comment

Working...
                X