• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    stitchwishes

• stitchwishes
    replied
    Re: Ikea + dollar store = sewing storage

That is really great! Plus you can figure out if that style of storage really works for you.

I think I'll do the same! I haven't been able to move into my sewing room yet and am struggling with temporary storage just for the things I want immediately at hand. My mother gave me what's suposed to be a big shoe organizer, and the cubbies are too deep and mostly it's too hard for me to reach down to floor level to pull out fabric. I think I'll keep using the top row od cubbies and look for some bins like this to place on top. Maybe there is even something that will fit inside the cubbies that I can pull out.

Leave a comment:

• songbird857

• songbird857
    replied

Originally posted by sewUK View Post
    Do you know about this site - fascinating.

http://www.ikeahackers.net/
    LOL... yes - I am planning to add some furniture feet/legs to the unit eventually

Leave a comment:

• sewUK

• sewUK
    replied

Do you know about this site - fascinating.

http://www.ikeahackers.net/

Leave a comment:

• songbird857

• songbird857
    replied

Originally posted by toggpine View Post
    What if you used the $ store one as a pattern and made some yourself from pretty fabrics from your stash or make your own fabrics by sewing all of your scraps together.
    I tried sewing scraps to used dryer sheets and that worked alright as a very thin stabilizer. Oooh! I have some jeans that can be recycled too!
    That's a great idea! I do plan on making some from my stash - I just needed something 'now', if you know what I mean... my sewing room was in such disarray from moving other furniture around - this was a great way to corral everything so I can actually sew again!

Leave a comment:

• easyquilts

• easyquilts
    replied

You did well!

Leave a comment:

• toggpine

• toggpine
    replied

What if you used the $ store one as a pattern and made some yourself from pretty fabrics from your stash or make your own fabrics by sewing all of your scraps together.
    I tried sewing scraps to used dryer sheets and that worked alright as a very thin stabilizer. Oooh! I have some jeans that can be recycled too!

Leave a comment:

• stationarymom

• stationarymom
    replied

Originally posted by lots2do View Post
    I bought a few and want to make a front panel to attach to the front to change the look. I'm still mulling over what will be the best way to attach them. I'll use the back that doesn't have the handle. Any suggestions, anyone?
    What about velcro? then you can change the front if you want

Leave a comment:

• seaturtle

• seaturtle
    replied

Looks great and you can't beat the price!

Leave a comment:

• giig21

• giig21
    replied

great idea !!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• cv quilter

• cv quilter
    replied

Originally posted by songbird857 View Post
    I've had the Ikea cubby for a while. I bought some fabric boxes at the dollar store. Now, mind you, these are CHEAP... I mean CHEEAP... they were a dollar after all. As a matter of fact, some of the thin fabric pulled away a bit as I was organizing. The shelf on top of the Ikea piece is a shoe rack
    BUT I spent only $10 on all of them - they solved a storage problem, and I can upgrade as I'm able
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]132596[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]132597[/ATTACH]
    Gotta get to a Dollar Store.......:O) Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• CraftySweetPeas

• CraftySweetPeas
    replied

I have some that are neon green and (maybe??) navy blue I will send you if you'd like....

Leave a comment:

• lots2do

• lots2do
    replied

I bought a few and want to make a front panel to attach to the front to change the look. I'm still mulling over what will be the best way to attach them. I'll use the back that doesn't have the handle. Any suggestions, anyone?

Leave a comment:

• MayinJerset

• MayinJerset
    replied

Originally posted by Bubby View Post
    That's a great idea. Talk about saving a bundle of $$.
    And it looks so nice too!

Leave a comment:

• Bubby

• Bubby
    replied

That's a great idea. Talk about saving a bundle of $$.

Leave a comment:

• lauratreky@comcast.net
    replied

Originally posted by songbird857 View Post
    I've had the Ikea cubby for a while. I bought some fabric boxes at the dollar store. Now, mind you, these are CHEAP... I mean CHEEAP... they were a dollar after all. As a matter of fact, some of the thin fabric pulled away a bit as I was organizing. The shelf on top of the Ikea piece is a shoe rack
    BUT I spent only $10 on all of them - they solved a storage problem, and I can upgrade as I'm able
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]132596[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]132597[/ATTACH]
    I bought the CHEAP fabric boxes to organize my hall closet. Never thought of using them for sewing storage but I will now!! It is great storage at an even greater price! Well done!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X