Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Review of my trip to the Missouri Star Stores!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Review of my trip to the Missouri Star Stores!!!

For my 50th birthday, my husband arranged for me and my sister to go to the Missouri Star Quilt Company. Let me say - IT WAS FABULOUS!!!!! We arrived at 9:45 and left at 4:49. My feet were killing me by the time we were done. Here are some of the highlights:

STAFF EVERYWHERE - There are plenty of employees to help you with anything you need.

SUPER HELPFUL - We didn't find an employee who couldn't answer one of our questions.

AMAZING STORE DESIGN- Each store you walk into has an individual personality. I don't know who they have working behind the scenes, but they do a fantastic job. From the refinished floors to the unique light fixtures, every store tells a different story.

FABRIC - Great selection. AND if they are short on what you need, they can call the warehouse. If it is in stock - they will bring it to the store later in the day.

BATHROOMS - they are in each store.

JENNY - Like Waldo - we didn't see her - but we met her husband. He was out watering plants.

Now - for lowlights

Fat quarters - I love fat quarters. I make more spontaneous purchases on fat quarters. However, they do not have fat quarters precut of the fabric. They do have the fat quarter bundles, but not individual quarters of each fabric.

Quilt kits - My sister would have liked to have quilt kits available to purchase. If not kits, maybe the same quilt done it 2-3 different fabrics as examples.

We had an absolutely AMAZING time. We stayed in Excelsior Springs at the Elms Hotel. That is a wonderful hotel - very luxurious. I can't wait to plan my next trip.

Re: Review of my trip to the Missouri Star Stores!!!

So cool. Where did you eat? How was the food?

I hope to go myself some day.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Glad to hear you had a nice time. I agree with all your points, their staff is just great, both when shopping in person or on-line- have used the live chat a couple times and that was great to!
      I too would like to see some kits, maybe a couple different colorways for each tutorial as they come out. I know it is easy enough for many to just pick a pack (charm, layer, roll) and get the necessary yardage to go along but I know I am not always great at it.
      Beth

Procrastinate. It frees up time to quilt!

Comment

We ate at the burger place - get the ranch fries. It was great. They have a nice sit down restaurant, but we didn't want to take that much time out of our shopping.

Comment

This has been added to my bucket list!!
          ~ Debby

It's my life, it's now or never. I ain't gonna live forever. I just wanna live while I'm alive. It's MY LIFE!"

Jon Bon Jovi
          :icon_hi:

Comment

I would love to have the experience to visit someday! On my bucket list, too!
            Carol

Sewing Mends The Soul ~ Author Unknown

Comment

I would recommend going with a list too. I made sure that I knew exactly what I was planning on buying. I did buy 3 yards of Hungry Caterpillar fabric (which I have no clue what I am going to do with) but everything else was on my list.

Comment

At last count I heard they have 14 different shops, is that right? I know one is all solids only but what is in all the other stores? How are they different from each other??

Comment

Sounds like a great trip, one I hope to make! How far was the hotel from M* time wise?
                  If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

Originally posted by jjkaiser View Post
                    At last count I heard they have 14 different shops, is that right? I know one is all solids only but what is in all the other stores? How are they different from each other??
                    I think the count includes all store fronts which includes the retreat center. I don't know what is in most but I believe there is a batik shop, one with licensed fabrics and one with civil war type prints. I can't remember what I have read is in the rest of them.

Comment

Florals, baby, modern, backing, seasonal, machines, yarn, what else am I missing? My favorite is the licensed, such darling fabrics in that one!

Comment

Don't forget the batik shop! Sounds like a great trip.
                        *~* Myrna *~*
                        *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

So glad you had a good time. I agree with your lowlights too - fat quarters of the fabric bolts would really be great. I think FQ would sell quickly, as they are a great impulse buy - as if we needed an excuse to buy pretty fabric! lol

I typically don't buy kits, but I know many do. I know MSQC is offering the From Couch to Quilt kit, maybe they will expand and offere kits on the tutorials they have done. I do like to see different fabric variations of the patterns.

Let's see.... 14 stores....

1. Main store - samples of the other stores
                          2. Mercantile - Civil War and 1930's reproduction fabrics
                          3. Batik Boutique - batiks
                          4. So Seasonal - holiday fabrics
                          5. License to Sew - licensed fabrics (sports, cartoons, etc)
                          6. Man's Land - rest area for those not shopping
                          7. Penney's - solids
                          8. Trims & Backing - backing and trims to finish the quilt
                          9. Kids & Babies - for the babies in our life
                          10. Modern - fresh fabric from the latest designers
                          11. Primitives & Wool - homespun fabrics and wool
                          12. Floral - Spring is eternal here
                          13. Machine Shed - notions and Baby Lock machines
                          14. Sewing Center - retreats and classes

Is that correct?

Comment

Holy cow! (a phrase used alot in Wisconsin where I live)--sounds like Disneyland for quilters. Thanks for the extensive list. Hope to go there myself someday!

Comment

You have a great husband for planning this trip for you(make sure to keep him).I'm glad you had a good time.I want to go there some time but when I mentioned it to my husband he gave me this strange look(like you really want to go all the way to Missouri to see a shop,he just doesn't get it)
                              :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

Working...
                              X