Cutting mat versus ruler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cutting mat versus ruler

There was a discussion on why not to use the markings on a cutting mat when cutting your fabric that you should always use a ruler. OK-- then someone tell why Jenny uses her cutting mat for measurements ???

Re: Cutting mat versus ruler

You know, I always wonder why this comes up. My rulers and mat's match up. I use my mat all the time. Jenny licks her fingers like I do too. lol. Made it okay for me.
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

For me, I find measuring with a ruler is easier and I am more accurate. You should do what works best for you.
      Wendy
      http://www.pinterest.com/wlrich2/boards/

Comment

I agree with "what works best for you". I've always used my rulers, and so far it's working.

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
          You know, I always wonder why this comes up. My rulers and mat's match up. I use my mat all the time. Jenny licks her fingers like I do too. lol. Made it okay for me.
          I agree with everything said here. I also wonder why this topic comes up since my rulers and mats are right on the button matching. licking fingers to separate fabric just like papers and plastic bags.
          sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
          Time spent with cats is never wasted.
          Sigmund Freud

Comment

One reason to not use the mat is the possibility of making a groove where you cut very often. If you use a ruler then the cutting area would move almost every time you cut. Most are self healing but I am sure there is a limit to how many times they will heal.

Comment

Claire, I know for a fact that that is true. I have started using the mat for one direction and the ruler for the other. Gives my mat less stress. However, I was gifted some little mats and the measurements are way off. The woman who gave them to me said they were misprints and she bought them up and was giving them away. They are fine for small projects and a ruler.
              Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
              Terry

Comment

1) Jenny has the Midas Touch -- everything she touches turns to gold.

2) It is probably faster for her to cut using the mat lines (fast over accuracy is better for videos) -- and notice how we don't see her cutting ALL of her pieces during the tutorials because she always "has a stack over here already cut that we can put together to show you" -- so we don't know how those were cut.

3) I would think she could afford to buy matts more regularly that most of us could AND she its a business expense for her -- so no worries about making permanent grooves in her mat after the self healing feature is lost

4) Like some above -- she may prefer the grid lines.

I always cut with the ruler -- and I have taken to cutting with my 15 x 15 whenever possible because the farther out from my cut line that I can square my fabric, the better.
                Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link: :icon_woohoo:
                http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Comment

But what do you do when you cut pieces bigger than your ruler? I do a combination of both, use the ruler when cutting smaller pieces and the mat for larger pieces.

Comment

My new mat is 30x42, so it's rather expensive. I will be using my ruler most often to avoid cutting repeatedly on the same grid lines.
                    It's one reason, in fact, the only reason I won't buy a loc block ruler. They have no lines on them.
                    Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

I see Jenny use both.
                      Everyone should use either or. Its more important to be consistent throughout the one project. Thats why you should only use one ruler per project if possible.

Comment

Since this conversation has risen more than once, I took a ruler to my Olfa mat and the measurements are perfect. I use my mat all the time.

Comment

When I cut using a ruler, all of the material being cut is flat under the ruler. When I use the lines on my mat, the material may, or may not, be completely flat. If it is not completely flat, then I am probably getting an incorrect cut. This would be similar to the 'bows' we get in our jelly roll strips when they are not cut correctly.
                          If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

I do the same thing Jean does, using the mat for larger pieces and the ruler for everything else. I use my Stripology ruler as much as possible.
                            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I was taught to use my rulers, so I wouldn't be dependent on a mat... It works for me.... So... I thunk everyone should do whatever they are comfortable with....just be consistent, and there won't be any problems...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Working...
                              X