Bargello

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bargello

I have a Bargello pattern I really want to do but it asks for 24 different fabrics. I only want to use one colour and I am struggling to find 24 different shades/patterns in the one colour that I think would look good. My question is, could I use less fabric choices so that each set of 24 strips I sew together has a repeat of the fabrics? Would this muck up the effect? My head hurts trying to visualise it and I'd appreciate some opinions.

Re: Bargello

It's times like that that I get out my graph paper and coloring pencils!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I have yardage of some gradient or ombré fabric. All you have to do is cut strips once, then stagger them, and sew them back together once. That would eliminate so many different fabrics.
      Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

All the different colors of fabrics is what "makes"
        a great Bargello quilt. Using one color would not give
        you the same results. This pattern uses a lot of fabric
        and a lot of work. A good quilt requires Contrast.

Comment

Could you use 12 different shades? 2 of the same shade together as you stagger them?

Comment

I love bargellos and have completed over 20. I fear you will lose the impact of the design if you less than 24 different fabrics. Have you considered a different bargello design that calls for less than 24 fabrics? Which pattern are you doing?

If you really want 24 fabrics all one color it can be done. In your color family pick 3 very light (practically white), pick 5 light, 8 medium, 5 dark, and 3 very dark (practically black). You can mix cottons and batiks, The three very darks will probably be the hardest to find. Within each value make sure you pick prints that are easily discerned from one another. For example in the 3 very light pick one tone on tone, one small scale print, and one medium scale print.

Happy quilting
            Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Denise, that was an excellent explanation on how to choose fabrics. Very thourough
              Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
              Terry

Comment

Here's what I would consider a one-color bargello. If you study it you will notice that it really isn't just one color. Scroll down to see the green bargello I'm referring to. http://blog.shopmartingale.com/quilt...-with-a-twist/

If it were me I'd pull in another color or two but use mostly the one color you have in mind. I think you'll find that your quilt will give you the effect you want even though you've included other color(s).
                Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Oh, how good you all are at this Bargello color thing.. I have to look at a color wheel and try to pick out fabrics.. sometimes a jelly roll or two has given me my best results.

I have another Bargello quilt on my to do list. So easy, but you get great results!!
                  Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
                  :icon_wave:

Comment

If you really want a one color effect, you could do an analogous color scheme and select fabrics that blend. I would want a color wheel/tool at my side to do this well. But perhaps a simpler bargello pattern with less than 24 fabrics?

Comment

Thanks everyone for all the great advice, you have made it all much clearer for me and I feel more confident now to go back and have another go at selecting my fabrics. I appreciate everyones input. I have gone back and had a closer look at my pattern and realise there is in fact 3 different colours incorporated in it which at a quick glance leaves my eye just seeing it as "one" colour. It is obvious to me now that I have clearly misinterpreted what I need and this correlates with what you have all pointed out to me. Insert "slapping my forehead" here!

Comment

I just picked out 10 colors for a bargello I'm going to do. It is basically two colors and I chose blue for the first color. It isn't easy. Here are my choices

2016-06-24 17.20.42.jpg

Comment

Rightio, armed with everyones' advice I trotted down to the fabric shop today after work; doh...wouldn't you know it, their 40% off everything sale finished yesterday ....and picked out 12 of my 24 colours. What do you think of them? I now have to decide whether to continue with the blues in the purchase of the other 12, or maybe buy some mint green/jade type fabrics to mirror the blues and perhaps connecting with the blues via the palest blue which looks as though it would sit nicely with mint green. What do you think?
                          Attached Files

Comment

[QUOTE=just4me;887209]Rightio, armed with everyones' advice I trotted down to the fabric shop today after work; doh...wouldn't you know it, their 40% off everything sale finished yesterday ....and picked out 12 of my 24 colours. What do you think of them? I now have to decide whether to continue with the blues in the purchase of the other 12, or maybe buy some mint green/jade type fabrics to mirror the blues and perhaps connecting with the blues viaor the palest blue which looks as though it would sit nicely with mint green. What do you think?[/QUOTE

The fabrics you selected are very nice - good work! As to adding a different color line, I think that would work. BUT - don't get all of the remaining 12 colors in a different color. Rather, just 5 or 6, and get the rest in more blues. You will see more movement in the colors if they are not evenly balanced.

I am collecting fabrics for my first bargello. My colors are blues, purples and a bit of lime green. I need 20 fabrics, so I am going for 10- 12 blue, 3 lime, and purples for the remaining 5 - 7. (I got some great fabrics from Connecting Threads discounted fabrics.)
                            If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

On making a bargello - 1. Ask kgrammiecaz. She has made several bargello quilts. 2. There is a class on Craftsy.
                              On choosing color - 1. Look up Jinny Beyer. She has a free tutorial.
                              Preeti
                              http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X