Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shirleyknot
    replied
    Re: Taking a poll what would you charge?

Originally posted by AlohaSandy View Post
    Wait wow i wasnt getting offended i was just stating a fact with Hulamoon. I ask for opponions because i love this sight and take your oppionions to ❤. Sorry if i offended anyone lesson learned. Mahalo
    (((HUGS))) dear. YOU aren't offending anyone.

Leave a comment:

• AlohaSandy
    replied

Originally posted by auntiemern View Post
    If you agree with this, and understand the economy there, better than us mainlanders...then why ask for opinions, then get defensive when they are offered? Some of us were simply stating that the labor involved in the construction of this quilt is neither intensive, nor elaborate. You apparently know the market there, so price it for however much you think you can get...higher profit margin for you.
    Wait wow i wasnt getting offended i was just stating a fact with Hulamoon. I ask for opponions because i love this sight and take your oppionions to ❤. Sorry if i offended anyone lesson learned. Mahalo

Leave a comment:

• auntiemern
    replied

Originally posted by AlohaSandy View Post
    Thank you for this you and I both know the truth lol
    If you agree with this, and understand the economy there, better than us mainlanders...then why ask for opinions, then get defensive when they are offered? Some of us were simply stating that the labor involved in the construction of this quilt is neither intensive, nor elaborate. You apparently know the market there, so price it for however much you think you can get...higher profit margin for you.

Leave a comment:

• Alpha O
    replied

I've already turned down opportunities to start a business. I can design and sew a certain type of tunic. I just don't want to be bothered with being on a schedule that drives me crazy. I'd sooner clean bathrooms and be done with one day's work when I'm done if I need extra money. Stuff is not hanging over my head. It gets done when it gets done. On MY time.

I also don't enter contests or auctions. I really don't care. I'm the only one the work has to satisfy. I've been pestered for that, too and always refuse. I also don't label quilts. When it's done, it's done and after it's been given away whatever the new owner does with it is his/her business, not mine. I just move on the the next one.

Leave a comment:

• AlohaSandy
    replied

Originally posted by Alpha O View Post
    If I liked the fabric, the pattern and the person, I wouldn't charge. If I don't like the person, the amount I'd quote would be exorbitant enough to make them look elsewhere.

I look at it this way - I don't have room for many quilts, I don't need many quilts and I won't do charity quilts. But working with someone else's fabric and pattern gives me a chance to play with new techniques, perfect old ones all at no cost to myself but time. And that I have.
    Wait when you are doing it as a business you don't know the person lol and I hardly have time these days to make any quilts for myself or my family or charity. Although I did donate a tshirt quilt for my GD Cheer banquet as a raffle prize and let me tell you that it had the most tickets of all their other 10 raffle prizes and made me feel really good that I donated.

Leave a comment:

• Alpha O
    replied

If I liked the fabric, the pattern and the person, I wouldn't charge. If I don't like the person, the amount I'd quote would be exorbitant enough to make them look elsewhere.

I look at it this way - I don't have room for many quilts, I don't need many quilts and I won't do charity quilts. But working with someone else's fabric and pattern gives me a chance to play with new techniques, perfect old ones all at no cost to myself but time. And that I have.

Leave a comment:

• AlohaSandy
    replied

Originally posted by grammaterry View Post
    Deciding what to charge is the dilemma we all go thru. I need extra income and so since I like to sew I don't want to lose the opportunity to make a little extra. I , just yesterday, accepted a job that I know I am underpaid to do. The man brought me an older quilt top about 75 x 90 that is just plain ugly and not well done. He wants borders, backing and batting and quilting . I told him I'd do it for $200. Now that I have it and have tried to get it squared up (not going to happen) I put a border on it and I have sandwiched it. We'll see. But, I think if I had asked for more money he would have balked, so you just have to be sensitive to the market conditions.
    I'm glad you said this because I kinda did the same thing on a tshirt quilt I wanted to charge $195 it was a small quilt only 8 shirts she balked I texted her back a few weeks later asked what she wanted to,pay she said 150.00 I took it because I too need the income SS SOCKS LOL

Leave a comment:

• AlohaSandy
    replied

Originally posted by SallyO'Sews View Post
    1. I love this; the fabrics are beautiful!
    2. Figure out what the materials cost you. Don't forget batting and thread!
    3. Figure out how long this took to make, including cutting the fabric. Multiply hours times at least $20, and add to materials cost.

Last summer, DH and I went to Ithaca, NY, for a wedding. While there we went into an artisan gallery (i.e. not just paintings). There was a lovely crib-size quilt made of gorgeous batiks. It was $700.

DH freaked out and wanted to know who in their right mind would charge - or pay - that much. But once I pointed out how expensive the fabric probably was, plus time involved in the piece-work, plus $.02 per square inch for the quilting, PLUS the fact that whatever the shop paid the artist, they had to double that price, and he agreed that $700 was about right.

Which is also why the buyer at the gift shop that carries my pillows & table runners and I agreed that I won't be bringing them any actual quilts...
    I will try and keep better track of tim, fabric i know how much I've spent.

Leave a comment:

• AlohaSandy
    replied

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
    In defence of Sandy, we both live in Hawaii. It's expensive to live here and a very tourist based economy. I think $200 is totally fair.
    Thank you for this you and I both know the truth lol

Leave a comment:

• AlohaSandy
    replied

Originally posted by auntiemern View Post
    I have to agree on the labor part. Does not seem like this would take much time to put together. It is very pretty, but I can't even see the quilting. I guess the price would depend on the market for such an item...where I live...I don't think you could get $200 for such a simply pieced quilt, that is only lap size....IMO
    there is at least 9 pieces to make this turtle and no it doesn't have a lot of quilting the turtle has a blanket stitch around each piece of the turtle. One of the boarders is 2" pieces around but yes pretty simple as far as quilting.

Leave a comment:

• tnmtgrl
    replied

I charge by what my materials cost....fabric ( the top , bottom and binding), batting, thread, take that and add it to labor....calculated by taking the sq.in. of the quilt X .025. On a quilt this size 60x60= 3600 sq. in. x .025 = $90 just in the quilting/labor, then whatever your supplies cost you...so I agree with the others $200 sounds about right especially being in Hawaii where the cost of living is a lot higher.

Leave a comment:

• snippet
    replied

So the only stitching you see on the backside is the blanket stitch of the turtle? Or did you also stitch in the ditch along the frames?

It's a cute quilt, but where I live I doubt if it would sell for $100. A lady in my church loves Asian fabrics and her quilts don't sell well here. It's not because the quilt is poorly made, it's just a matter of what the people around here prefer.

What do other quilts of that size sell for in your area? Are they heavily pieced or appliqued? How much quilting in in the quilt? Really intricate quilting will increase the price. Little or no quilting decreases the price.

Where are you planning on selling it? I hope it sells quickly!

Leave a comment:

• grammaterry
    replied

Deciding what to charge is the dilemma we all go thru. I need extra income and so since I like to sew I don't want to lose the opportunity to make a little extra. I , just yesterday, accepted a job that I know I am underpaid to do. The man brought me an older quilt top about 75 x 90 that is just plain ugly and not well done. He wants borders, backing and batting and quilting . I told him I'd do it for $200. Now that I have it and have tried to get it squared up (not going to happen) I put a border on it and I have sandwiched it. We'll see. But, I think if I had asked for more money he would have balked, so you just have to be sensitive to the market conditions.

Leave a comment:

• SallyO'Sews
    replied

1. I love this; the fabrics are beautiful!
    2. Figure out what the materials cost you. Don't forget batting and thread!
    3. Figure out how long this took to make, including cutting the fabric. Multiply hours times at least $20, and add to materials cost.

Last summer, DH and I went to Ithaca, NY, for a wedding. While there we went into an artisan gallery (i.e. not just paintings). There was a lovely crib-size quilt made of gorgeous batiks. It was $700.

DH freaked out and wanted to know who in their right mind would charge - or pay - that much. But once I pointed out how expensive the fabric probably was, plus time involved in the piece-work, plus $.02 per square inch for the quilting, PLUS the fact that whatever the shop paid the artist, they had to double that price, and he agreed that $700 was about right.

Which is also why the buyer at the gift shop that carries my pillows & table runners and I agreed that I won't be bringing them any actual quilts...

Leave a comment:

• Hulamoon
    replied

In defence of Sandy, we both live in Hawaii. It's expensive to live here and a very tourist based economy. I think $200 is totally fair.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X