Spring Rain Quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spring Rain Quilt

I started the Spring Rain Quilt today. I am using the Prairie layer cake by Moda. I thought I would share with you some of what I learned about this quilt while sewing the blocks. Be sure to thumb through whatever layer cake you choose to be sure that there is an equal number of darks and lights. Contrast is important with this quilt. There are lots of 2-1/2" strips to cut so I am using my Stripology ruler that I got as a gift at Christmas. I LOVE this ruler. It is tons faster than using my regular ruler. My strips are straight and an accurate 2-1/2". I chose to buy 3 fat quarters of the Prairie fabric to cut 10" blocks from. I did not care for the gray in this layer cake so I am substituting with coordinating fabric 10" blocks. This quilt is fun!!! Would love to see pics of your quilt if you have it finished.

Re: Spring Rain Quilt

Good luck with your quilt,I haven't made that one yet.I find one of the problems with precuts is you can't always tell what you are getting.I usually only buy them if I can see a pic of each print.
    :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

Re: Spring Rain Quilt

One of the reasons I buy pre cuts from M* is because they let you see the prints included. The other reason, I have found, is that other places "short" you on the number of pieces. I won't name names, but if you look at other stores precuts, they are often only 18, 20, or sometimes 30 pieces. Most precut based patterns assume the precut package is 42 pieces, and at M* they are.

Anyway, I sometimes mix precut packs to get the right light/dark mix, or use yardage.
      I also started precutting my own from my scraps. If I have a piece that has both selvages, I cut it into one or 2 strips. If it's smaller, I make dimes or nickles out of them. Then when I need just a few more squares, or strips, I just poke through my precut stash.
      There is a special container to store strips in. That's where I keep my orphan [left over, or self cut] strips. I also have a 12" container for the dimes, and 6" one for the nickles.
      Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

Working...
      X