sort of disappointed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sort of disappointed

I finished a quilt -Turning Twenty-and took it to a long arm quilter. This person was recommended by a quilt shop and they said while she was sort of new to this she was very good. I went to pick it up and all she did was stitch in the ditch and put a few circles in it. The pattern is very flowered and very patterned so she thought putting to much of a pattern in the quilting would maybe conflict with the material. I was cutting the batting and backing off- which may have been a mistake-and was looking at it and became a bit disappointed. If I had not cut the stuff off I may have been able to take it to someone else to improve it. It will stay at my house so I guess no big deal but I am a bit disappointed. Lesson to learn here-do a little more research on your long armer or voice you opinion a little more.

Re: sort of disappointed

Awe, I feel bad for you. When I first went to one she got out a pad and pencil and drew out a design so fast right in front of me, I was like wow. Guess I got lucky on finding her. I agree to be a little more prepared and voice what you want too.
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

Were you disappointed with the quality of stitching or with the design she chose?

Comment

What a shame you're so disappointed. You're not alone. Every once in a while, someone here on the Forum voices disappointment with a longarm quilter. Is this the typical procedure that takes place when a person works with a longarmer? It doesn't sound very professional to me. I think a longarmer would be remiss in not discussing a plan. I would want to know about the type of quilting. Will it be an all-over design and what design would be used? Will it be a custom job? - If so, I would want to see a drawing of the design planned for each section of the quilt? In my opinion, it's a lot of money to pay for custom quilting to just let someone have at your quilt without any discussion as to the quilting plan - especially if it's someone you have never worked with before. A lot of time and money goes into making a quilt. A casual attitude about the quilting would be a red flag for me that this longarmer may not be a good choice. I'm sorry this happened to you.
        Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; June 22, 2016, 08:33 AM.
        Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Originally posted by Snip Snip View Post
          Were you disappointed with the quality of stitching or with the design she chose?
          More design she chose altho some of the stitching could be questionable probably if I was more knowledgeable.

Comment

So sorry about this. As a longarmer, who has not yet committed to doing quilts for others, I have always read and been taught in some classes, that you should always have everything written down, and have the discussion between the two persons regarding what they have in mind, thread choice, price, etc. I have done only one quilt for a customer, and it was an old appliqued top that she wanted quilted with an allover design. I did feel obligated to tell her that I did not recommend doing an edge to edge over beautiful 10 inch appliqued roses. Together, we decided to outline the roses, and then do a meandering rose design in the background. I was so happy when she cried tears of joy upon receiving it. Needless to say, I was extremely nervous the whole time I was doing it, and I did my share of ripping. In the end, I didn't make much money, but her satisfaction was worth it.

Comment

I would never let someone else work on my quilt without seeing their work first, and I would DARN sure pick what pattern I wanted. Too much work goes into a quilt to allow someone else to make it unloveable for you.

Comment

So sorry for your experience with the LAer. The lady who does my large quilts is very experienced. She uses those pantographs. She has a large storage cupboard area of pigeon holes in which she keeps her rolled up pantographs. She pulls out 2 or 3 as suggestions & lets me decide which design I like. We also decide on thread color. She writes it all down on the order form. I've never known a LAer to do just SITD. Next time, be more assertive & discuss patterns, thread, etc. & come to an agreement of what you want done to your quilt. Also, I'd find a different LAer! Was she cheaper than sending your quilt to M*QC? I've heard nothing but positive feedback about their quilting.

Comment

I'm sorry this happened to your quilt. I agree with rebeccas-sewing and shirleyknot. A reputable LAQ would go into detail with you before starting your quilt to make sure you are both on the same page. A lot of time and money go into a quilt. I would think they would ask for honest feedback so that they could improve their work or explain to their customer what happened if it was something they didn't have control over.

I feel your pain. I had 2 charity quilts quilted by LAQ about 10 years ago. The first one was done by someone that did absolutely beautiful work. When I made the 2nd quilt to be quilted by LAQ the lady who had done such wonderful work was back logged far out. I needed this quilt done before then because it was a raffle quilt. So at the suggestion of a local quilt shop I chose the 2nd lady. We did discuss the pattern she would use for the quilt but the quality of her work was ... OK, just OK. It was a disappointment. Non-quilters thought the quilt was lovely.

Comment

Originally posted by rebeccas-sewing View Post
                    What a shame you're so disappointed. You're not alone. Every once in a while, someone here on the Forum voices disappointment with a longarm quilter. Is this the typical procedure that takes place when a person works with a longarmer? It doesn't sound very professional to me. I think a longarmer would be remiss in not discussing a plan. I would want to know about the type of quilting. Will it be an all-over design and what design would be used? Will it be a custom job? - If so, I would want to see a drawing of the design planned for each section of the quilt? In my opinion, it's a lot of money to pay for custom quilting to just let someone have at your quilt without any discussion as to the quilting plan - especially if it's someone you have never worked with before. A lot of time and money goes into making a quilt. A casual attitude about the quilting would be a red flag for me that this longarmer may not be a good choice. I'm sorry this happened to you.
                    I so agree with this. There is only one longarmer I've used because I kind of hate turning my quilt over to some one else to finish. The one LAQ I've used has taken a look at the quilts and immediately "sees" what would be nice with it. But she always discusses it with me to make sure this is what I want.

Comment

Oh that's disappointing for sure. I'm sorry her quilting wasn't what you wanted. I hope she was cheap. But if you liked the stitching, I would consider returning. But the next time I wouldn't leave without an agreed upon design, maybe even a rough draft of the quilting.

Comment

Working...
                      X