X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grammaterry
    replied
    Re: Long-Arm rentals

Karen, the quilt you did for us for the raffle is absolute perfection. I know nothing of LAQ but what I saw in the quilt that Shirley sent you and you quilted, lets me know that you are a professional. I don't know how long it took you to do that quilt but it surely is beautiful.
    Originally posted by KarenC View Post
    I agree $17.50 / hr is a good deal. I had looked into this a few years ago, and when I got ready to take the certification class, the shop was no longer doing rentals. Found a few other places, but realized, I am not always in the mood, so in the end I ended up buying my own machine. The first year, I stuck to pantographs with edge to edge quilting. It was after a full year, before I got up the courage to try free motion quilting from the front of the machine (margarita helped). I do have to admit, that I find it more fun quilting from the front, but sometimes you just need to get it done, therefore I still do pantographs for those.

Leave a comment:

• snippet
    replied

I took a LAQ certification class just last month. It was $75 and included the zippers to sew onto the quilt top and backing. Rental includes thread and the pantographs. This particular store has a notebook full of them, but if you have a specific one you need, they will buy it for you for $10. They also have batting at a reasonable price too, or you can bring your own.

I haven't actually quilted anything outside of the class yet. But now that my schedule is clear, I'm fixing to call and reserve some time.

Leave a comment:

• Wende
    replied

I've rented a long arm at my LQS and they provided everything except the quilt/batting/backing. The first time the certification part took place during the first 2 hours and then I stayed to finish my quilt. I rarely use a pantograph and usually just FMQ. At first I chose thread to blend into the quilt so that my mistakes weren't so obvious. I also worked on quilts that weren't complicated and didn't take me a long time to piece. It takes a lot of practice so if I was a perfectionist then I would have been frustrated the first couple of times. It can be a lot of fun as long as you know what to expect!

Leave a comment:

• KarenC
    replied

Originally posted by laura44 View Post
    Our local store charges $100 for the certification, then you can rent the machine
    for $17.50 an hour, which includes the thread and the pantograph patterns.
    I am considering taking the class for some of the larger quilt tops I have. I have never sent out
    a quilt, just too expensive. I have free motioned some smaller quilts on my own, but would love
    to quilt a big one. I think $17.50 an hour is a deal.
    I agree $17.50 / hr is a good deal. I had looked into this a few years ago, and when I got ready to take the certification class, the shop was no longer doing rentals. Found a few other places, but realized, I am not always in the mood, so in the end I ended up buying my own machine. The first year, I stuck to pantographs with edge to edge quilting. It was after a full year, before I got up the courage to try free motion quilting from the front of the machine (margarita helped). I do have to admit, that I find it more fun quilting from the front, but sometimes you just need to get it done, therefore I still do pantographs for those.

Leave a comment:

• laura44
    replied

Our local store charges $100 for the certification, then you can rent the machine
    for $17.50 an hour, which includes the thread and the pantograph patterns.
    I am considering taking the class for some of the larger quilt tops I have. I have never sent out
    a quilt, just too expensive. I have free motioned some smaller quilts on my own, but would love
    to quilt a big one. I think $17.50 an hour is a deal.

Leave a comment:

• LindaKay75
    replied

Few years ago I took a class to learn how to quilt on a long arm. Let me tell you, after going thru that stress I decided it's worth the .02 cents. I paid $35 for a 4 hour class standing on my feet and bending over and sweating like a pig because I was so nervous. I actually did pretty good for my first class but I decided no more, it's just too hard on me. So I pay the 2 cents and I'm happy. Now that I have some knowledge of what it's like I appreciate the M* quilters more. It's not easy!!

Leave a comment:

• bubba
    replied

Several of the shops around here offer machines for rent. You take their class first, which is about $100 or so. Once you take the class, they rent for about $20 - $25 per hour. I've not done this, but I know Dolores has.

Leave a comment:

• SuzyQue
    replied

I have never done this, but all of the places near me require lessons first and hourly payment as you quilt. I think my answer would depend on your level of perfection and what you are quilting on. If you just want to quilt a baby quilt or a throw and are not particular of the stitching and you just want to play and have the experience.....go for it. BUT if you are perfectionistic, or it is a huge king sized quilt, or you spent a lot of time and or money on the quilt top.......I would opt for someone else to do the quilting. I purchased a long arm almost 2 years ago and I still won't quilt for anyone else. Shoot, I have quilt tops of my own that "I don't want to ruin" and haven't quilted yet. Yes, I am very particular, maybe a little perfectionistic, but trust me, I found the learning curve steeper than I thought it would be! It is easy enough to meander and do loops, etc.......but to get them in all directions, evenly sized and shaped, borders, etc.........it takes time to perfect these skills. It is fun......don't let me dissuade you.......but it really depends on your expectation level!

Leave a comment:

• Spiff
    replied

One of my local quilt shop's has long arms you can rent but you must first take a class (which has a charge) to learn how to use the machines. I haven't really looked into it yet.

Leave a comment:

• MRoy
    replied

I haven't rented a long-arm but I think you usually have to take a class first to learn the basics. You might be able to start out using a pantograph to get the feel of the machine before going totally free motion. I use pantographs on my short-arm setup. Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• SallyO'Sews
    started a topic Long-Arm rentals

Long-Arm rentals

On my bucket list is learning to quilt on a long- or mid-arm machine. I understand there are places where you can rent a long-arm for a day. Have you done that? Did you have to take a class first, or buy your materials at the rental place? I assume you must bring your own thread - what about needles? And how did you do? Is it easy enough to do that you could learn fast enough to finish your project and be happy with it? Also, was it worth the $$, or do you think it more economical to pay a professional by the square inch?

It just sounds like so much fun, BUT.... 1) I am a total chicken-heart, and 2) I'm terrified of messing up and ruining a quilt top that I spent time and $$ on.

What say you??
Working...
X