Comfortable height for a cutting table?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comfortable height for a cutting table?

I'm going to have my husband make a cutting/measuring table for me. What is a good, comfortable height? I'm 68" tall. Currently, I'm using an old dining room table. My neck and back starts to hurt after a little while. I guess because it's too low. Could anyone tell me about cutting tables or perhaps share where you might have purchased yours?

Re: Comfortable height for a cutting table?

I understand that a table at the height of your bent elbow is the correct height for you. Stand up, bend your arm with the elbow at a 90* angle and measure from the floor.
    I am sure there are lots of things on youtube or elsewhere on the internet with ergonomic information.
    Give that DH a big hug for making you a table.

Comment

I'm 64" tall (or short) and I put my cutting table on risers from Walmart - I can't believe what a difference it made for my back! How wonderful that your husband is making one to 'fit' you. You will love it!
      Cindy

Comment

I'm 69" tall and my cutting table is 36" high. The table top is slightly below waist-high on me. It's a folding banquet table with 12" long PVC pipe extensions slipped onto each leg to make it higher. It's very comfortable for my use.
        *~* Myrna *~*
        *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

I use an old kitchen cabinet, the drawers make for nice storage. Super easy to make, just put your cutting mat on and you are good to go. I love the height.
          Beth

Procrastinate. It frees up time to quilt!

Comment

I have a table with sides that drop down due to space restraints. I got it at joann's with a 50% off coupon maybe 5 years ago. It's held up well and no issues with the laminate or the wheels. It is 35" high, perhaps just an inch or so too low for me. I'm 5'6". I've been hesitant to buy the bed riser things to raise it up because there are 6 wheels and I do close the table at times and that would be a hassle. If space is an issue, this is a very good option.

http://www.joann.com/sew-essentials-...+table&start=1

"

Comment

I measured my table and it is 29"! Yikes! I hurt my back recently and there is no way I can work on that low of surface anymore. My elbow fall at about 41 inches, so we are going to aim for that. We can cut legs down if we need to. Thank you for your input. It was most helpful!

Comment

If your table has legs that will fit in plastic pipe you can cut that any length you want. That is what my husband did for my folding tables. First I used bed risers but they weren't quite high enough. The pipe you can make any height you want.
                This certainly doesn't address the height but might help others.

Comment

Bellybutton heights is normally good for most quilters.
                  sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I just bought this table and supporting easels at Ikea, it is a top placed on 2 easels. The easels are adjustable by 6 different heights, I bought third easel for better stability.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80150095/

I just love it and if we ever need a spare dining table for a large group I can lower it to standard height.
                    Sew sew sew.
                    So? So? So?

Comment

I had a table like that and it worked great. But the wasted empty space underneath where the legs were drove me crazy. I bought 2 Sterilite 4 drawer plastic units, took the legs off the table, and put the top on the 2 4 drawer units. I bought a 32X57 cutting mat to put on top of the table top. Voila! I had a perfect cutting/work table with 8 storage drawers underneath. It is just the right height as the storage cabinets are 35 1/2 inches high. I did this after I realized I never moved that table on its wheels, I never needed to get on the other side (it was placed against a wall), I could use that storage space.
                      Just another idea for you to consider. Can quilters ever have too much storage space????

Comment

Originally posted by Claire Hallman View Post
                        I understand that a table at the height of your bent elbow is the correct height for you. Stand up, bend your arm with the elbow at a 90* angle and measure from the floor.
                        I am sure there are lots of things on youtube or elsewhere on the internet with ergonomic information.
                        Give that DH a big hug for making you a table.
                        I made my last cutting table at this height, and it was just a tad too tall. At this height, you don't take into account holding a rotary cutter, which can be another 2". I found that I had to raise my shoulders to cut. I suggest using this formula, but subtracting 3-4" to allow for having tools in your hands....
                        Tenacity: The quality or fact of being very determined; determination.

Comment

Originally posted by cindirae View Post
                          I made my last cutting table at this height, and it was just a tad too tall. At this height, you don't take into account holding a rotary cutter, which can be another 2". I found that I had to raise my shoulders to cut. I suggest using this formula, but subtracting 3-4" to allow for having tools in your hands....
                          The table that I had made to that height had to be reconfigured for our new house. It is now resting on a 36" bookcase. I have not used it yet for cutting and was a bit worried that I might have a problem. Good to know that it should be fine.
                          I am itching to start a new project but really need to finish up a couple of things before I cut anything new. I might make it there late next week.

Comment

Belly button height 😊

Comment

Originally posted by APatchy View Post
                              Belly button height ��
                              Belly button height IF your elbows aren't longer than your belly button....which mine are.... I've got some serious long arms, lol!
                              Tenacity: The quality or fact of being very determined; determination.

Comment

Working...
                              X