frustrated sewing on sequins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

frustrated sewing on sequins

I am making the flower girl dresses for 3 of my granddaughters for my daughters wedding. My daughter decided she wanted some "bling" on the dresses so I am now sewing sequins onto the lace that goes on the bodice of the dresses. It is driving me crazy. I keep losing the thread off the needle and have to rethread --- driving my eyes bonkers. I changed to a little bigger needle but then sometimes the seed beads don't fit down the needle. I also seem to be getting a lot of loops and knots in the thread which leaves extra thread hanging and I then cut off the sequin and redo it. Also, I guess because of the loops and knots, some of the sequins end up hanging and I either redo them or add more stitches to the sequin and bead to anchor it better. I have 3 of these dresses to do and I have not even completed one sequined bodice yet. This is going to take me forever. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to sewing sequins on?

Re: frustrated sewing on sequins

How about using fabric glue?
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

I used fabric glue with one my daughters wedding doing beads and sequins and worked great and they did not fall off. I think the brand is Beacon and it is called Gem Tac. I also make Renaissance costumes and have used it on things for it.
      If you can't find it let me know , I have gotten it at Joanns.

Comment

Also, if you just let the needle and thread just hang down every so often it will unwind itself so you don't have those tangles.
        :icon_rolleyes:

Comment

All I can suggest is remember that each and every one of those frustrating stitches is a stitch of love for your daughter and grand-daughters. My heart goes out to you and my eyes, my fingers and my patience!

Comment

Jean might have some ideas ,she made costumes for a local play group.
            :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

There are a lot of sequin trims and fabrics out there......that is what I would do!
              ~Kathy~

Comment

I am with JeanMarie, let it dangle, and invest in beading needles for those small holes in the sequins. Good Luck x

Comment

If your thread keeps falling off the needle, then the needle eye is too big. If the loose thread is knotting too much you most likely are cutting the thread too long. Only cut about 20 or so inches at a time - the length from your fingers to your elbow is a good estimate.

Can you skip the seed bead and do a french knot instead?

Comment

Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions. Since I had already started sewing the sequins on, I persevered and finished up the first bodice in a couple of days. image.jpgimage.jpg
                    Now only 2 more to do!!

Comment

They look great! What a labor of love.
                      Lori

http://sewtimeforme.blogspot.com/

Comment

They look wonderful really made a difference it would have been bland and now they have bling. Great Job

Comment

OOH - that looks so pretty!
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
                          http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
                          http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

Working...
                          X