X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PrettyCurious
    replied
    Re: Make an Easy Starburst Quilt with Jenny

I went ahead and posted these layouts, and a 4th one on my blog. I hope this helps everyone who wants a bigger starburst quilt.
    Jenny’s Starburst Quilt Enlarged

Leave a comment:

• PrettyCurious
    replied

Ok here ya go for those who want to make this bigger

Jenny's quilt is 58x58 including a 4.5 in border [49x49 without border]. It uses 16 Layer cake pieces. She has 8 rows and 8 columns.

I designed the same quilt using 36 LC pieces based on it resulting in a 6in block. With same size border as Jenny's it will be 81x81
    [72x72 without border] I also colored the original 8 rows and 8 columns of blocks differently to help visualise the added on rows. There are 12 rows and 12 columns.

Picture_Quilt_Starburst_81x81w4.5border_36LCs_6inBlocks.jpg

Color option to make the blocks that do not form the elongated diamonds blend with the border

Picture_Quilt_Starburst_81x81w4.5border_36LCs_6inBlocks02.jpg

Here is the same thing, but using 49 layer cake pieces to make 93x93 with the 4.5 border, or 84x84 without. There are 14 rows and 14 columns.

Picture_Quilt_Starburst_93x93w4.5border_49LCs_6inBlocks.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Andrea C
    replied

I am using baby 3.5 inch 1/2 square triangles and would like to add additional rows- does anyone have instructions or a diagram to add two more rows? Thanks

Leave a comment:

• reg8
    replied

This pattern is fabulous! I see there's already been some discussion of how to make it bigger. I'm wondering if you could draw it out and then just continue the pattern around, or if it will need more "spokes" if you expand out. I'm making a ton of HSTs from batiks right now and would love it if they'd work for this.

Leave a comment:

• peggiep
    replied

I love this pattern, so I decided I would make it as a table topper instead of a quilt. It is almost finished and I think it works well.2016-06-24 07.37.18.jpg
    I am just about finished handquilting but had to share to let you know that using a charm pack works too!

Leave a comment:

• iluvbaking
    replied

Originally posted by stationarymom View Post
    Thanks Annika.I love this one too I just hope I can remember which direction to place each hst.
    Be sure to print out the PDF to have by your side! Under video, click on title and you'll find link to supplies. Included on that page is the link to the print-out.

Leave a comment:

• stationarymom
    replied

Thanks Annika.I love this one too I just hope I can remember which direction to place each hst.

Leave a comment:

• bhaggerty
    replied

This was a design submitted by one of the MSQC employees for IQ2 (iron quilter 2)
    It was with the lovely line and the background was purple.
    It was gorgeous!! I like it better than the one in the tutorial !!

Leave a comment:

• sew-what2015
    replied

Originally posted by Midge View Post
    Hi sewwhat! Sorry to hear you don't like the captioning. I think it's pretty good and readable, too. Maybe something with your computer? Judging by the number of posts you have, you seem to be a newer member of the forum. You may not be aware that on the YouTube screen if you click on More beneath the video window a drop down list appears that has Transcript. You can follow along with the Transcript, and I believe that M* has gone back and created transcripts for all the past videos too. Also below the box is a link to click on supplies. That returns you to the M* page for that video that has the PDF file you can print out with all the pattern info as well as the fabrics & tools.

The HSTs created by using Jenny's Method will be 6.72". Look in my User Notes and you will find a chart with the HST sizes already calculated using Jenny's method. I have to say I did not do this math, and sadly, I didn't think to write in the person's name who did this when I put it in my user notes. I wish that person would say she did it so I could edit my note. A real time saver!

Hope this helps.
    Hi Midge.
    That is just what I needed to know. Thank you. I appreciate the help.
    The captioning on my computer was mixed up. Some of it made sense but not all of it.
    When I read your message, I remembered that I had seen a transcript on another of Jenny's videos but had forgotten that transcripts are provided. What a great idea and so helpful for me.
    I will also check out your User Notes.

Leave a comment:

• seaturtle
    replied

Jean Marie, I started with a 10" square.

Leave a comment:

• Jean Marie
    replied

So Cindy, what size square would you begin with?

Leave a comment:

• seaturtle
    replied

I played around with the numbers. Doing HST the way Jenny does gives a 6.25 finished block. She has 8 across for a total of 50" plus 4" of border on each side. I could add 2 rows to the left side and top and maintain the 4" border and get a 83" square. Or if I make the HST the traditional method (2 per block), they are 9.25" so I could go with the original 4 block pattern and end up around 82" square.

Leave a comment:

• seaturtle
    replied

Originally posted by Claire Hallman View Post
    It would be nice to make it a little bigger, I guess the pattern messes up when you add in the HST from the rest of the layer cake. Perhaps a 4 patch border using the balance of the LC might work out. I do love the b/w look.
    I would also like to make a bigger one. I don't have the wall space for a 58" square and it's not quite big enough for a throw (at my house). Four together would be too big. I have a B/W layer cake from Jennifer Sampou - just don't know how to enlarge it.

Leave a comment:

• easyquilts
    replied

This one us a definute winner! How big are those HST's?

Leave a comment:

• Midge
    replied

Originally posted by sew-what2015 View Post
    Thanks. I have severe hearing loss and captioning is awful.
    I am still having trouble with block size. Is each HST about 4.5" unfinished size?
    Hi sewwhat! Sorry to hear you don't like the captioning. I think it's pretty good and readable, too. Maybe something with your computer? Judging by the number of posts you have, you seem to be a newer member of the forum. You may not be aware that on the YouTube screen if you click on More beneath the video window a drop down list appears that has Transcript. You can follow along with the Transcript, and I believe that M* has gone back and created transcripts for all the past videos too. Also below the box is a link to click on supplies. That returns you to the M* page for that video that has the PDF file you can print out with all the pattern info as well as the fabrics & tools.

The HSTs created by using Jenny's Method will be 6.72". Look in my User Notes and you will find a chart with the HST sizes already calculated using Jenny's method. I have to say I did not do this math, and sadly, I didn't think to write in the person's name who did this when I put it in my user notes. I wish that person would say she did it so I could edit my note. A real time saver!

Hope this helps.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X