Thinking about consolidating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking about consolidating

I have a Janome Artistic SD Quilter and an 8900. I'm thinking about selling both and purchasing one machine that I can piece, sew, quilt, and embroidery with. Where do you ladies find the best places to sell your machines safely?

Re: Thinking about consolidating

Do you belong to a quilt guild? I have had luck selling to people within the guild. You have a captive audience and they know the value of the machine. Maybe put it in the guild newsletter. Maybe you could put a flyer up at your LQS (if they don't sell machines).

Comment

You might want to think this thru a little bit more. If you get rid of both machines to get one that will do what they both will do, you will only be able to either sew or embroider at a time. With two machines, you can sew, and also embroider a design that could take several hours. Just something to think about.
      pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I was going say what Pat said. I have an all in one, a very good one and if that's running I would have to break it all down just to sew a hole in something. I would keep an extra around.
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

If you decide you do want to sell your machines, I would not be afraid to try Craigslist. It is a great resource when trying to sell something, and you will get a much wider spectrum of possible buyers than more niche groups.

A few years back my husband and I decided to sell our very nice deck boat. He tried to sell it for two years by listing it on various boat sites and in various boat listings. Zero luck. Finally we were facing having two kids in college that year and we needed the money for tuition. So one week while my husband was out of town, my daughter and I went up to the storage lot hooked the boat up, brought it home (I had never towed anything in my life), cleaned it up, listed it on Craigslist and had two buyers vying to buy it by the time my husband got home on Thursday. We put it out on the lake on Saturday, and took both buyers for a ride. Both wanted it, and we actually sold it for more than we listed it for.

The thing about Craigslist is, yes, you have to be careful. But really, back in the day when we had to pay to list something in the classifieds, the dangers were exactly the same. Just be careful. The guy that bought my boat paid me in cash, and I met him at my bank, where he handed the money over to the teller who checked it for counterfeits. Everything went very smoothly.

I've also found wonderful items for purchase on Craigslist, but I've been very, very careful about where I go and taking someone with me, etc. Don't trust anyone, and if it sounds good to be true, it is. Move on. Good luck.

Comment

It looks to me that you have the best of both worlds right now. I love having two machines up so I can move back and forth without changing all the time. I can see if space is limited one might need to go the single route .

Comment

We recently bought a log splitter on Craigslist. MM, the grandboy and our daughters hauled wood for two weekends and it all had to be split. The splitter is our son in law who is deployed right now for a year. I was researching log splitters online then went searching on Craigslist and found a brand new one somebody was selling.

MM got home from work and we headed to the mans house. He did not want to go alone for safety reasons. We got there and the man was there with his wife and another man who was walking around in the background! They were the mans safety net and we all laughed about it. We got a great log splitter out of it.
              pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

That's funny Pat. Can't be to careful these day's. I have used Craigslist to find handy persons and I live alone. But this island is a dust speck, so I feel pretty safe.
                🌺 Lorie

Comment

If you downsize to a single machine, what will you do when it goes in for service? I really like my Viking but service takes about six weeks. I took it in for an annual maintenance and I lasted about ten days without it. I ended up buying a Juki to keep me busy - I'm too addicted to this habit to go without! I LOVE my Juki, btw.

As far as Craigslist - There have been several robberies in Nashville recently involving people selling things on Craigslist. The Nashville Police Department has suggested that if you are selling something that is small enough to put in your car, plan to meet the buyer at the closest police station parking lot to sell it. There are all kinds of cameras and if someone is up to no good, they probably won't show up at the police department! Good advice for all of us, no matter where we live.

Liz
                  Last edited by LittleLiz; June 16, 2016, 07:58 PM.

Comment

I will give you my experiences. I've successfully sold and purchased on Craigslist, sew it's for sale - a free yahoo group for sewing and quilting items and on Quilters Classified - another free group on Facebook.
                    First, set up a free email account from gmail or yahoo that you only use to sell items. This makes it much easier to quickly respond to potential buyers offers or questions. It won't get buried in your regular email. If you decide to go thru Craigslist definitely pick the option to have responses go thru Craigslist first ... They can't see your email address. If you use the other 2 groups to sell, your email addy will be visible. So, if you do get some weirdo you can just delete that email account and not affect your normal email address. If you go thru Craigslist, you'll want to accept cash only and I like a previous posters response to meet at a bank to make sure you aren't receiving counterfeit money. At the very least, make sure you meet in a public place during daylight hours only and take someone with you. Now when I sold my first machine on Craigslist I did all the opposite things I just told you. I did get some folks trying to offer way less than what I was asking along with a sad story. I just had to say I'm sorry and move on. Then I had a lady email me with all the right questions ... Things only a quilter would know to ask. We eventually exchanged phone numbers and in that phone conversation she revealed what guild she belonged to and again asking me questions about the machine only a quilter would care about. I did allow her to come to my house, with my husband in another room. I kept my front door locked until I saw her and her husband get out of the car. Do I recommend that? No. The next time I tried to sell on Craigslist I eventually emailed the buyer and cancelled the transaction. She wanted to meet at odd times and then cancelled twice. It just started to feel odd. Remember it's not your job to make friends thru selling .. If it doesn't feel right, do not ignore that little voice.
                    Selling thru the yahoo group or the Facebook group: set up a paypal account. They do take a small percentage out of your sale but it does give you and the buyer some protection. Some sellers will take a personal check and only mail after 10 business days. As a buyer you have no protection if the item never arrives or comes damaged. If you use either of these groups you will need to be prepared to ship your machine either thru UPS, USPS or FedEx. Or you can state in your ad "local pickup only" or "willing to meet within X amount of miles from XXXX city". It's totally your choice. Be prepared with lots of photos of your machine and any accessories and be willing to email said photos to potential buyers. State in your ad if you're a non smoking home or pet friendly home .. No judgement here .. But some people are very allergic and will only buy if they know that upfront. Pictures sell. If people can see at least one great picture they will start asking questions and you will sell your item.
                    The yahoo group is very specific on how you structure your ad. It's not hard but more like Roberts Rules for writing a paper. It does help you to present your item in a very organized manner. The Facebook group Quilters Classifieds does not have rules on how you write your ad ,,, but I will tell you that anything I've offered for sale there has sold in 30 minutes because I tend to follow the same guidelines as the yahoo group. If you decide to go with either or both the yahoo or Facebook group, I highly recommend joining them and watching the ads to get a feel for how the group works.
                    And my last piece of advice: if you are wanting a sewing quilting embroidery machine and both of the machines you have are Janomes ... Why not use them as trade ins towards a Janome 15000 which will do all 3 things you want? When you sell a used machine you will probably only get half of what you originally paid... Maybe a little more depending on your area of the country and how old these machines are ,,, and have they been regularly serviced ... And so on.
                    So I know that's a lot of information and I'm not trying to overwhelm you but just give you things to think about. Good luck on whatever you decide to do ...
                    Hope this helps,
                    Sherrie
                    Life ain’t always beautiful
                    But it’s a beautiful ride - Gary Allen

Comment

This is my little story, I had a Janome 6600, a 350E (embroidery only), and a Jem Gold. Took a class at the LQS (a Janome dealer) and used the 15000. Well, I had to have it and thought at the moment I could trade all three in for the 15000 and save a bunch of money. The owner told me to re-think that, did I really want to give up the 6600? She offered to take the 350 and gave me what I paid for it 3 years prior as trade in. She said to keep the 6600 and if I wanted to sell it later, she would buy it. I took her offer, got the 15000 and kept the 6600. BEST MOVE ever. Some embroidery designs take a while to stitch out....some way over 30 minutes. You can get a lot of sewing done in 30 minutes so I use the 6600 while embroidering on the 15000. So I would suggest you think about it before selling or trading in both of your machines. Maybe just go ahead and buy the 15000 (a great machine by the way) and see how you use it and then you can always sell one or both of your machines later. The 15000 is a lot of money, but I got mine with a no interest for 4 year "easy payment plan". Have not had one moment of regret! Love both my machines and can't imagine life without both.

Comment

Working...
                      X