Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Singer Featherweight - 221K (4) - DOB 4th March 1953 -What is it worth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Singer Featherweight - 221K (4) - DOB 4th March 1953 -What is it worth?

I am new to quilting and new to sewing machine collecting! Yesterday my brother gave me a featherweight. What a cutie! He said he thought it might be worth a few dollars. I have seen them mentioned by quilters on various sites. Can anyone give me an idea of its value? My brother says it works well. He used it for mending, taking in trousers etc. (his ex did not sew). It has a few wear marks on the base and the inside of the case is a little tattered, but its decals are still crisp. I am looking forward to firing it up tomorrow! Cheers Jan

Re: Singer Featherweight - 221K (4) - DOB 4th March 1953 -What is it worth?

There is only one way to find out what something is worth. Sell it, and whatever you get for it, is what it's worth. If you're keeping it, who cares, as long as you're happy with it.
    Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

Congratulations! You will love sewing on a Featherweight. I have a Featherweight that was "born" August of 1947 that is in excellent shape. It has all it's accessories, booklet and box which were all in good condition. A library patron knew I quilted and kept asking me about buying her but he wanted $500 which was way above my budget. After 6 months we finally agreed to $300 plus some books I had that he could resell. In my area the Featherweight goes for $450 and up on Craigslist. When I hear someone say they found a Featherweight at a yard sale or the thrift store for $40 or $50 I want to fling myself on the floor and cry since I never have that kind of luck.
      :icon_happy:

sigpic

Comment

They do vary in price. To you it will be priceless. Congratulations, I have 2 of them. One I paid $140 and the other was $40.
        Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Carolnnc is flinging herself on the floor right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Snip Snip View Post
            So am I! I got mine from eBay and paid about $250 for her. I remember being at my dealer's shop one day when a lady and man brought a Featherweight in for service. They were on the fence whether they should pay to have it serviced or just get a new machine. Several of us were circling around hoping she wanted a new machine so we could buy her Featherweight! The dealer was cool, didn't flinch either way to try to influence her decision. Darn, she decided to keep her Featherweight! Keep looking!

I just found a model 99 at an auction. Paid $50 for it. The 99 is a little bigger than the Featherweight but is considered a 3/4 size machine. This one sews like a dream! So as my collection of vintage machines grows, I get happier and happier!

Comment

Around here they go for between $250 to $300 for a 221. I would love to find a reasonable 222 (the Featherweight with a freearm) but they are closer to $800.
              K is for Karen 😊​..................
              Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
              T - is it TRUE?
              H - is it HELPFUL?
              I - is it INSPIRING?
              N - is it NECESSARY?
              K - is it KIND?

Comment

My featherweight was not $10, but one of my 99's was. Found it in the Goodwill up in Seattle one day. My other, which is marked made in Great Britain was $70.

Good thing MM collects computers and stereos!!
                pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
                  Around here they go for between $250 to $300 for a 221. I would love to find a reasonable 222 (the Featherweight with a freearm) but they are closer to $800.
                  Welcome, and let us know how she does.

Karen, question about the 222.....I've. Been looking for a good little machine for my daughter........ since moving out she no longer has access, to my BL 'Liz ....Can you ladies please tell me where I can find a featherweight, please......and which ones are better....I like the sound of that 222. .....Ty.

....Bee
                  The footprint's in the sand are not mine, but is that of the Lord's, who has been carrying me....

~~♡sigpic
                  ~~~~Sewn By Bee

Comment

Bee...The Singer 222s are pretty hard to find. The 221 Featherweight is not that hard to find. There are dealers online. Just do a search on Google for Singer Featherweight 221. I got one of mine on eBay and the others came from flea markets. Expect to pay $125 to $400. I have seen them in quilt shops for more than $700.

FYI....the only sew straight forward and in reverse. This may or may not be the machine your DD would want.
                    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Originally posted by Bubby View Post
                      Bee...The Singer 222s are pretty hard to find. The 221 Featherweight is not that hard to find. There are dealers online. Just do a search on Google for Singer Featherweight 221. I got one of mine on eBay and the others came from flea markets. Expect to pay $125 to $400. I have seen them in quilt shops for more than $700.

FYI....the only sew straight forward and in reverse. This may or may not be the machine your DD would want.
                      Barb, thank you dear.
                      I don't know, that'SOUNDS pretty cool !!!
                      I found a Elna + Swrger set....
                      We we're thinking graduation gift. Maybe???
                      Let me know Pm if you have recommendation. TY.

....Bee
                      The footprint's in the sand are not mine, but is that of the Lord's, who has been carrying me....

~~♡sigpic
                      ~~~~Sewn By Bee

Comment

Originally posted by Monique View Post
                        They do vary in price. To you it will be priceless. Congratulations, I have 2 of them. One I paid $140 and the other was $40.
                        Whine.....but I'm happy for your find!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Snip Snip View Post
                          Yep! It was an ugly scene but the cat loved it! I think I need to get out to the thrift shops more. I do love to hear of others good fortune though.

sigpic

Comment

I've never seen the 222 in person, but there is someone in my area that sells them for about $1100!!
                            pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I found mine in the trash, it was a neighbor moving and the kids didn't want it so they set it out for trash pick up. Well I ask my hubby to go over and pick it up. At the time I though it was just a small table, he told me Pam it's heaven I told him just bring it home. We open it up and everything was smiling right up to me. All of the feet,book, and the sewing bench.
                              That was just my lucky day.

Comment

Working...
                              X