Charm Packs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charm Packs

I just opened a charm pack to start making a quilt, all my squares are 5x41/2 I bought 4 of these packs . I am not going to buy any more charm packs or layer cakes anymore they are not cut right. In the future I hope Jenny will show more tutorials using just yardage. I hope retailers start complaining more about the inconsistent cutting of these packs. I sure I am not the only person that has had this problem. I have many charm packs I have not used yet and I bet they are all different sizes. Well back to the drawing board and see what I can make with this set of charm packs. Not a Happy Camper!!!

Re: Charm Packs

This discussion comes up frequently on this board. Why should retailers be the only ones complaining? You, the consumer, should be complaining to the manufacturer directly. In the recent past we have had reports that they don't hear complaints from consumers. So apparently people are not making enough noise about this issue, or we would have apologies and corrections of the manufacturing issues. Write them a snail mail. Then write them an email. Then post a negative comment on their Facebook. Go on Twitter and talk about. Go on Instagram and show pics of the bad cutting.

Only when they have more trouble not correcting the problems than correcting them will the manufacturers change. I've written this before, but it bears repeating. The American car manufacturers nearly went under when their sales tanked due to foreign competition - cars that were made right and ran reliably. Now the American car makers have changed things and their cars are much better.

I've been one of those unhappy campers several times. Missouri Star made good on it right away because the fabric was too crooked or half layer cake pieces. If you bought your charms here, and trimming them down to a true square shape won't work, talk to customer service through the Contact Us window.

Comment

Just wondering what mfg was on your cp that were so off. I have not had that problem but I know many people have complained about it. You shouldn't have to redraft your pattern and cut all those charms down. I would be steamed too.

Comment

Yes, where did they come from so we know?

Comment

I just check about 12 CP I have purchased already , they are all ok...phewwwww
          Sew sew sew.
          So? So? So?

Comment

My charm packs are from RJR. What I did was made them 4.5 & 4.5 could make the quilt I wanted but will make a different quilt. I will take to advise from Midge and e-mail them and leave a message on their Facebook page. Thanks for all the feed back.

Comment

I bought a layer cake from RJR that was off by a half inch and a trapezoid shape to boot. I was so annoyed that I called customer service at RJR. The rep said they would replace the miscut pieces. It was never sent & when I called her back & left messages, there was never a response. I will only buy yardage from them now. I really do not think they care at all.
              Diana Grey

Comment

The problem with your suggestion about Jenny's tutorials, is that the company's whole tutorial premise is based on the ease of pre cuts...not cutting yardage into those sizes....contact the manufacturer...there really isn't much the retailer can do other than offer a refund or replacement, and that won't solve the problem.
                Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by auntiemern View Post
                  The problem with your suggestion about Jenny's tutorials, is that the company's whole tutorial premise is based on the ease of pre cuts...not cutting yardage into those sizes....contact the manufacturer...there really isn't much the retailer can do other than offer a refund or replacement, and that won't solve the problem.
                  The retailer can do something and talk to their fabric rep and complain. They have a lot of pull with the manufacturer. When customers complain to a store and it causes extra shipping and handling of returns, then it's bad business for the store too. What retailer wants to stock products that might be inferior?

If the retailer complains to the manufacturer AND the consumers complain to the store AND the manufacturer then maybe the manufacturers will listen.

Comment

Originally posted by Tina W View Post
                    I just opened a charm pack to start making a quilt, all my squares are 5x41/2 I bought 4 of these packs . I am not going to buy any more charm packs or layer cakes anymore they are not cut right. In the future I hope Jenny will show more tutorials using just yardage. I hope retailers start complaining more about the inconsistent cutting of these packs. I sure I am not the only person that has had this problem. I have many charm packs I have not used yet and I bet they are all different sizes. Well back to the drawing board and see what I can make with this set of charm packs. Not a Happy Camper!!!
                    You can buy yardage cut the charms yourself, and still follow Jenny's tutorials. Or consider her tut's as scrap busters. Lord knows I have tons of fabric I can cut into 5" square pieces, and in fact have been doing so.
                    Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

Originally posted by auntiemern View Post
                      The problem with your suggestion about Jenny's tutorials, is that the company's whole tutorial premise is based on the ease of pre cuts...

IMO, if you wanted to use one of her tutorials out of yardage you can just cut your preferred fabric the same size as the precut she is using whether it is strips, 5" or 10" squares.

Edited to add: Looks like PrettyCurious and I had the same idea at the same time!
                      Last edited by Judy, USMC; June 11, 2016, 02:36 AM.

Comment

Sometimes it isn't worth the effort to complain if its just one piece but in your case, I would HOLLAR. 4 packs is a bunch to have to recut. I would insist that theyreplace them or refund
                        Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                        Terry

Comment

I had a problem with an RJR jelly roll. The strips were not cut 2 1/2" wide. They were off enough that I had to buy yardage to cut my own strips to make my blocks work.

RJR is pretty much off my list of precuts.

Comment

Working...
                          X