Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Tote Question

Last question --- I hope
    What do you use for the bottom of the tote -- what I mean the "hard/very firm" bottom that is covered and removable?

Re: Another Tote Question

I have used really hard compressed cardboard, but it tends to knock against your legs or ribs, depending on how it is being carried. I have also used plastic from a plastic folder kids use in school, but they are not quite firm enough, so I glued a paint stirrer to it. I bet there is something made for the purpose, but I was just learning/experimenting, so used what was at hand.

Comment

I use pellon peltex in the bottom of my bags.
      http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pellon-Ext...ingMethod=p13n
      sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
      Time spent with cats is never wasted.
      Sigmund Freud

Comment

This stuff is super hard. I split a bolt of it with someone. They stopped making it and it came back

Timtex Interfacing Craft Pack-15''x18'' 1/pkg | Jo-Ann
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

I have used plastic canvas for needlepoint that's easily found in the craft department and simple to cut along the grids. There is also a product called (I think) Baggy Bottoms to put in the bottom of your bags.
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

When I went to Hobby Lobby one very smart lady suggested using plastic coated cake boards! These are like cardboard but have a plastic coating! Cut the size needed and make a a "case" to cover.

Comment

I cut up a plastic cutting board - you know the ones you get in a color coded package from the dollar store or Bed Bath and Beyond; they often come in sets of 3-4 different colors and sizes. They are thin enough to cut with a scissors- barely. They give it really good form and stability. If you only get one, be sure to get it large enough.

Comment

I have a couple of options that work really well and you can layer them to get the exact weight you need. You can stitch through them and they are washable. The first and the firmest is Bosal Heat Moldable. You may know this product as the stuff that you can make bowls and boxes from. When you heat it up it is soft but when it dries it is super firm. I have sewn up to 3 - 4 layers together no problem. You can also use Pellon Peltex but it is somewhat floppy. Again you can layer it and stitch it together before covering it with your nice fabric. I hope this helps!

Comment

For one that you can remove, I take two pieces of cardboard that are taped together tightly and slip them in a sleeve, folding over the end. You can take the cardboard out to wash everything. Works great!
                  pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Working...
                  X