• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sylvia H
    replied
    Re: Tension differences - a learning experience

Originally posted by klgls View Post
    Sylvia - I've definitely found tension differences with the same threads when switching from SITD to FMQ. In fact, I have a totally different bobbin case that I put in my Janome 6600 when switching - but usually still have to do some tension adjustments. I rarely use the walking foot anymore because I really like not having to turn that quilt so much - easier to use a straight ruler and FMQ. My go-to ruler is the straight ruler by Accents in Design.
    Thank you for sharing your experience. I have not used a ruler with my FMQ. I am just learning about that technique. Right now, I am depending on the markings on my FMQ foot and a steady hand. But the 'straight' lines are sometimes wavy! For one quilt, I drew the lines with an air erasable pen. I may have to go to that technique for this quilt as well. It is very time consuming, though.

I will have to check out the ruler you recommended.

Leave a comment:

• klgls
    replied

Sylvia - I've definitely found tension differences with the same threads when switching from SITD to FMQ. In fact, I have a totally different bobbin case that I put in my Janome 6600 when switching - but usually still have to do some tension adjustments. I rarely use the walking foot anymore because I really like not having to turn that quilt so much - easier to use a straight ruler and FMQ. My go-to ruler is the straight ruler by Accents in Design.

Leave a comment:

• MissyB
    replied

I'm glad you know how to fix tension problems!
    I like your idea of FMQ straight lines. It may be a better option than wrangling a quilt in different directions continually. Thanks for the suggestion!

Leave a comment:

• Snip Snip
    replied

In a way it's disconcerting to hear that after doing this for 4 years, you are still learning. But at the same time I guess it is nice to know there is always something else to master. It depends on my frame of mind at the time.

Leave a comment:

• Sylvia H
    started a topic Tension differences - a learning experience

Tension differences - a learning experience

I am machine quilting a quilt that has a cotton top and cotton batting, with a flannel backing. The first thing I did was SITD (stitch in the ditch) to stabilize the quilt. I used 50 wt cotton thread from Connecting threads. I have a BabyLock "Quilter's Choice", and had my tension set at 5.0. No problems, quilting went well.

I then switched to YLI 40 wt thread on the top, still the 50wt Connecting Threads on the bottom. (Changed the needle from #80 to #90). I also switched from a walking foot to a FMQ (darning) foot. I was surprised to find that I needed another tension adjustment! I had to take my tension from 5.0 to 6.0! Even though I am using the FMQ foot, I am still straight stitching. I use the FMQ foot so that I can straight stitch to the left, right, and backwards instead of having to completely move around the quilt to straight stitch with a walking foot.

I am in my 6th year of quilting, my 4th year of FMQ. I was really surprised to see how different the tension was in this situation. I don't know if it was the difference in the thread, or the difference in the method of quilting - or a combination of both. I am still learning!
Working...
X