Best way for long term fabric storage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way for long term fabric storage?

We've decided to downsize & move to a smaller house (not to mention a smaller house payment, LOL). Our house is 3b, 3 1/2 ba with a full bsmt. I don't know how long I'll have my sewing room dismantled so I need best way to store my fabric. Hopefully, just a couple of months (please! please!). But, those of you that have moved recently know how crazy the market can be. So, ideas? I have plastic storage bins some with the flip flop lids, some with the snap ons. Should I put some kind of anti-bug something in with the fabric? When we moved to this house nearly 16 years ago I hadn't started quilting (began about 11 yrs ago). I haven't started to freak out yet but I know it's coming. Help me not go nutso & give me some ideas. My hubby will appredciate it (and so will I ).

Many, many thanks!!
    Gina

Re: Best way for long term fabric storage?

Will you be storing it in a climate controlled place? If not then I would probably use some sort of moisture absorber in the plastic totes and perhaps even a cedar closet hanger thingie if it will be there through Winter.. I would wrap the cedar in something to keep it off your fabric since the oils might discolor.

Comment

Why not "board" it and have it ready to shelf in the new space... I have a very small sewing room and the best thing i ever did was by the 8" deep Billy bookcases from IKEA..
      as for the preservation... i'm guessing you won't go that long without getting to your fabrics....)
      Attached Files
      "Each day well-lived and Happy;
      that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

Oh my goodness GB do you have a lot of fabric!!!!## but it looks so pretty all lined on the shelves there!

Comment

Haha I just showed my husband the photo of your shelves and he said, "Don't go getting any big ideas!" LOL

Comment

How about boarding it ( I like that phrase, lol) and putting it a vacuumed bag.
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

Generally plastic totes still allow enough air flow that it doesn't cause sweating or moisture issues.......unless the fabric is put in there damp to begin with. I would not store in cardboard......but don't think you will be storing it too long that damage would occur. I would avoid storing in high temps or moldy areas. Good luck on your move!

Comment

Now you know why i'm sewing so fast....i'm 69 and don't want to leave this all behind! As my son says....Progress, not Perfection))))))))))))))))
                Originally posted by jjkaiser View Post
                Haha I just showed my husband the photo of your shelves and he said, "Don't go getting any big ideas!" LOL
                "Each day well-lived and Happy;
                that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

Originally posted by GrammaBabs View Post
                  Why not "board" it and have it ready to shelf in the new space... I have a very small sewing room and the best thing i ever did was by the 8" deep Billy bookcases from IKEA..
                  as for the preservation... i'm guessing you won't go that long without getting to your fabrics....)
                  Totally jealous and would love to shop your beautiful fabric shelves!

Comment

I am in a very small space and have my fabric to one buffet and one large tote. You may need to downsize. I know when I had my fabric and such in the shed, I stored everything in a plastic tote and no bugs penetrated it's seal. If you have a good tote with a locking lid I dont think you have anything to worry about. Now, when I finally made room for these things and brought them in I had to clean all the spider egg sacks from under the lip of the top of the tote. That was an ebbie jeebie experience!

I am uncertain of your storage solutions now. But where ever and however your store your christmas stuff, if things don't get into that storage, then buy similar and your stash will probably be ok.
                    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

We recently went through this process. Some of my stash was already stored in snap lid totes - the kind where the little blue clamps fit over the lids. I left that fabric in those and everything was fine. The rest I stored in big ziplock bags, packed really tight inside and then inside cardboard paper boxes from work. The yarn was stored the same way. It did take a good amount of zip locks but my hubby had a whole bunch from his previous job as a biology teacher. Handy thing for dissection projects, I guess! I did have one almost casualty. The day that we moved, we could have used an ark. It rained so bad! A new piece of fabric purchased for a special baby quilt was in the original plastic bag from an internet store and put into a cardboard box. That box didn't make it into the air conditioned storage unit and when I opened it a month later, it was still damp and growing a little black mildew. Yes, I was quite upset with myself. Searching the internet came up with some remedies that worked with only a little fussy cutting involved. But...I consider that pretty lucky, only one problem out of all that could have happened.
                      Good luck with your move, I hope your house sells quickly and that you have a minimum of stress!

Comment

I think Rubbermaid plastic totes are the best solution (plus they are made in USA) and I have stored fabric in them for years and years in an unheated storage building. Recently though, I started the Shriners Quilt raffle project and used it all up so I don't have that to worry about any more.
                        GrammaBabs, it isn't the amount of fabric I'm so envious for, its the organization of it. What a wonderful room you have created.
                        Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                        Terry

Comment

You mean I might have to (GULP!) down size my fabric? OMG! Now I will start to freak out! Joking aside (partly) I had already decided to pay it forward by donating a good portion. I'm just not sure how to do that. Jeepers, how do you determine what fabric to get rid of if you don't know which quilt pattern you might use? I've been making a quilt for a particular person so I use certain fabrics that relates to that person.

The move time frame hasn't been set yet. We have a friend who is a realtor that's agreed to help us. We trust her so whenever she can come over & show us where we need to freshen up our house the downsizing can begin in earnest. Kinda hoping not to be moving in the winter months. Big sigh here...it's not gonna be fun at whatever month.

Hey! How about a downsizing party? I promise to feed you really well!!!

Gina

Just wanted to ask GrammaBabs what you used to put your fabric on the shelves? Was it the infamous comic boards?
                          Last edited by geegeequilts; June 7, 2016, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X