You and your bobbins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You and your bobbins

Bobbins kept me from sewing for years and years. I have what I consider a new relationship with them, and find them puzzling. I wonder how you handle these bobbin instances:
    [*]You are done with a certain color of bobbin, and there remains a certain amount of thread. Do you just put this aside to use again? Do you unwind thread and throw away? Do you refill bobbin?
    [*]Where do you store filled bobbins? The same place as your half filled ones?
    [*]How many bobbins of same thread do you fill per spool of thread?

These sound sort of dumb, but I really don't quite know what to do. Thanks for insights

Re: You and your bobbins

I do not unwind and I don't put a new color over old. I use leftover thread for piecing scrap quilts. I store all my bobbins together in a drawer. For the neutral colors that I use most for piecing I wind 5-10 bobbins.

Comment

At the start of a project, I wind up 3 or 4 bobbins of the color I will be using.
      If I will be doing some top stitching, I check my bobbin, and if it's low, I use it up on piecing, even if for another project, so I can start my top stitching with a full bobbin.
      When the current project is done, I store bobbins [generally with other machine specific items] for another use.
      I mostly use nuetral colors, so color isn't a big ussue with me.
      Yes, I have emptied bobbins if very low, and a color I am unlikely to use again.
      but the bottom line is: It's YOUR bobbin. Do what you want with it.
      Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

It gets really confusing when you have different machines that use different bobbins. And different weights of the same color thread. Dizzying.

Comment

I use these: https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...bbin-saver-red

I have four of them. I have one for my empty bobbins, one for prewound bobbins, one for bobbins that I use frequently (those with white bobbin thread for my embroidery projects), and one that has various lengths of thread in various colors. I'm sort of a thread hog though - and if I can see any part of the bobbin center I'll pull the thread off and add it to my thread cache. (I have this vision of putting all my thread scraps between pieces of water-soluble stabilizer, doing some trapunto over it and making something SPECTACULAR).

I AM A DREAMER.
          Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
          it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

My mom used to wind thread over another thread in a bobbin. As I was using up her stuff, it was fun to see if the bobbin had more than one color on it and what the underlying color would be.

I don't care what color my thread is, top or bobbin, since I'm usually just piecing. As such, I buy thread that is neutral in color and use that. But if I'm going to topstitch something, then I do wind a bobbin with the color needed. And I'll use it up in the next project I'm piecing.

Oh yeah, I use that bobbin ring that Sandy posted too. They are great. I have one for embroidery and one for quilting threads.

Comment

I have different machines. I just made Sweetpea Pods for each different bobbins I use and keep them near the machine. I must confess, for my main machine I have a ton of bobbins. I have been known to use the odd color bobbin on my practice blocks.

Comment

Sometimes I go overboard with organizing. I use Artbin bobbin boxes, separate ones for my two machines that use different bobbins. For my Juki TL2010 I use neutrals to piece with so I fill a row with the light, med, dark colors I use for that. When I have leftovers from projects where I've used various colors for quilting or topstitching, I use up those bobbins for practice sandwiches of fmq. My other machine is where I do fashion sewing, so I keep a thread/bobbin combo stored together. I use green twist ties that you get on a reel at the garden store to tie up plants. You can cut off what you need.

Comment

I use those same bobbin savers that Sandy linked to. I have at least 4 of them. One has piecing thread in it; the others have quilting thread in them. They actually will stretch enough to accommodate my M bobbins for my LA. My piecing is all done with a neutral eggshell color from a large cone. I keep 3-4 bobbins wound ahead. If I'm sewing on dark fabrics, I use a dark gray thread. I seldom change colors of thread during piecing. I sew until the bobbin runs out. I have a low bobbin alert on my machine, but I keep sewing until the thread is gone. I keep the bobbin savers in plastics bags. I label the outside with a Sharpie pen so I know which thread is in which holder. The bag also protects from dust.

I also use a Sharpie to label the back of the bobbin with the wt. of the thread.
                  Last edited by JCY; June 3, 2016, 07:29 PM. Reason: Additional Info.

Comment

I use the bobbin savers.....buying in different colors for various needs. The red one is cotton thread and the blue ones are poly or cotton poly threads. I have the cotton one labeled by using a Sharpie on the rubber part. I love these things! I know my quilt shop sells them in M sizes for my long arm bobbins, but I haven't gotten one yet.

I save all thread on bobbins, knowing I will use it again for something. I don't add other thread over the top, but my mom did and it was fun to discover what was hidden beneath, like Carol.

I keep all bobbins in the thread savers, arranged by colors. I only wind one bobbin at a time......my Janome allows me to fill bobbins and sew with 2 different motors, so why have multiples of each thread. I do fill several bobbins for my LA, or use neutral colors.

Comment

I use Bobbin savers. I use two different sizes of bobbins ( soon to be 4 once I get my two vintage machines going!). I load the bobbin savers by colorways. I wind Bottomline or bobbin thread 4-5 at a time for embroidery projects. I sometimes pull small amounts of thread off bobbins if I don't have an empty one, but I find the solution to not having an empty one available is just to buy more bobbins. They are pretty cheap if you order online and in bulk.

Comment

Originally posted by quiltsRfun View Post
                        I do not unwind and I don't put a new color over old. I use leftover thread for piecing scrap quilts. I store all my bobbins together in a drawer. For the neutral colors that I use most for piecing I wind 5-10 bobbins.
                        Me too. I try to keep it simple.

Comment

I store bobbins in different containers for the different types of machines that I have. The two machines use the plastic bobbins so they are really cheap to buy so I don't worry about unwinding or adding thread to those bobbins - I just store the bobbins that have thread on them.

For my main machine, I just store the thread and bobbin together after I get done with it. I generally use a neutral thread for piecing so I sometimes wind up around 8 bobbins or so at a time. Then it can just be grab and go when I need a new one. The machine has a low thread warning and it means it when it says low thread.

From back when I was little, I remember adding thread upon thread when I was doing projects for 4-H. It is kind of cool to be using those bobbins and as you find the next color, you remember the project that was made with that thread.

Comment

The Pfaff has clear bobbins, and they are in bobbin boxes according to thread - embroidery or sewing.

The Juki uses metal, and they are in a ring contraption for bobbins.

I have a bag full of junk bobbins that belong to the serger and coverstitch. You can fill bobbins and use them on the needle threads then put the cones on the loopers. Since the bobbin isn't IN the machine, doesn't matter what it is as long as it fits on the thread holder. Those are all jumbled since size and type don't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha O View Post

I have a bag full of junk bobbins that belong to the serger and coverstitch. You can fill bobbins and use them on the needle threads then put the cones on the loopers. Since the bobbin isn't IN the machine, doesn't matter what it is as long as it fits on the thread holder. Those are all jumbled since size and type don't matter.
                              That's what I did, used them on my serger. I felt so smart when I thought of that
                              🌺 Lorie

Comment

Working...
                              X