X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carolyn
    replied
    Re: My 6 month challenge!

I thought about it, if there is one thing I do not need it is more fabric. But I look at it this way, another quilter will come along at my estate sale and I will make her very happy! That makes me happy also. Have you seen the previews for the fall releases? Eighteen on preview over at FQS. I am not helping much, but I do wish you good luck.

Leave a comment:

• surfergirl
    replied

Oh Wow, all those sales you guys have on the mainland that we don't have here in Hawaii, ouch! I am staying strong, and will admire all those quilts you make from your new stuff. Always wanted to make a red and white quilt, did that but still have a lot of red left, so I am going to make some flashy, smashy flambouyant wallhanging with all the bright stuff. Will keep you all posted

Leave a comment:

• DramaMama
    replied

Originally posted by Bubby View Post
    Sorry, I just can't do it. My local fabric store has quilters cotton for $2.99 a yard. I bought a bolt of Riley Blake yesterday and may go back for more.

Uhhhh, $2.99/yard for Riley Blake? That doesn't even count as spending money on fabric, does it?

Leave a comment:

• DramaMama
    replied

Originally posted by bubba View Post
    What was I thinking?!? Got an email reminding me of a local shops biannual sale....all fabric on bolts 40% off this coming Tuesday thru Saturday. I may need a special dispensation here!
    (Waving Wand) .... Dispensation granted. Then, get back on that wagon with us for the next 6 months!

Leave a comment:

• Bubby
    replied

Sorry, I just can't do it. My local fabric store has quilters cotton for $2.99 a yard. I bought a bolt of Riley Blake yesterday and may go back for more.

Leave a comment:

• bubba
    replied

What was I thinking?!? Got an email reminding me of a local shops biannual sale....all fabric on bolts 40% off this coming Tuesday thru Saturday. I may need a special dispensation here!

Leave a comment:

• Claire Hallman
    replied

So hard to diet when scrumptious layer cakes are the DD.

Leave a comment:

• grammaterry
    replied

Here's the problem folks, fabric, like clothing is seasonal in color. I have learned this from the Shriners Quilt raffle (see user notes) When I began, the first quilts were spring colors. People were awed by the pinks and greens and easter egg colors, then summer began and they really loved the really bright fabrics. Some of the quilts I have made are in browns and blues and people are ignoring them. But just wait...come fall they will be the primadonnas . So, if you fail to buy any fabrics for 6 months, you lose the wonderful feeling of colors by seasons. That's why we accumulate fabric. We buy it on sale but it doesn't appeal to us to sew it because its time has passed and it hasn't come back around yet. We MUST have stash! If I hadn't had stash in January, I could not have made the quilts for the raffle that I did. I used it all up and thanks to a very generous donor was given some wonderful fabrics to finish my projects.

Leave a comment:

• Sylvia H
    replied

Oh hail no! I still have some 20% discount coupons to use before the end of June. Although I have them for 5 different shops, I will only be using them for two. Then in Sept and Nov are my two favorite quilter events. In Sept, there is a large quilt show (some of the vendors sell fat quarters for $1.00 each), and in Nov the Shop Hop. Two years ago, I won the grand prize at the Shop Hop, a Bernina 350 Special Edition.

But I do wish you success on your mission. I have seriously cut down on my fabric purchases the last 2 years, and will continue to do so. I also belong to the 'Shop Your Stash' group.

Leave a comment:

• stationarymom
    replied

Sorry I won't be joining either,I do shop my stash and occasionally I buy when I can't afford to pass up the sale.

Leave a comment:

• KarenC
    replied

Sorry. I am not able to join you at this time. I have been saving up so that I can buy when I go to retreat in September.

Leave a comment:

• surfergirl
    replied

I love all these answers. AND I just remembered our quilt guild has a potluck/officer installation and "AUCTION" yikes!!! on June 27th, oh my, my first big test. I guess I can bid on anything but fabric.

Leave a comment:

• bubba
    replied

I told myself 'Self, you are on a fabric diet this month.' So far, I have survived three days!!!!

Leave a comment:

• snippet
    replied

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
    Carol why don't you come join the shop the stash first group.

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/gro...challenge.html
    I was going to suggest joining the group too. It's been a great group to keep each other motivated to use the stash we all have. We do admit to buying solids and I've fallen off the program when I went to that estate sale of 2,400 bolts of fabric (yeas, really that many), but it was just a one time thing.

I even made a ticker in my signature so I can track how much of my stash I'm using. I set a goal for the year and am trying to work on it.

Leave a comment:

• easyquilts
    replied

Sorry, but buying a bit of fabric now and then makes me happy.. In fact, I just gave myself permission to add to my stash...which really isn't all that big.... I'm not ready to give up something that makes me so happy... I think the occasional DD is good for the soul.

However, I wish you well on your in your determination not to buy any fabric for six months... I could never do it..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X