Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilt Backing

Good morning to you all.
    I am a new quilter and have a big problem. I hope there is someone out there that can help me. I have a quilt top from my great-grandmother I am quilting for my daughter's birthday. I had to do a vertical seam for the backing. I have just finished stitching in the ditch from the front of the quilt and discovered when I turned it over the backing seam does not line up with the seam from the front. It does not look good. It lines up at the top and bottom but not in between. I really hope I do not have to rip everything out. This is a very old quilt top and I don't want to ruin it.. Please help....

Re: Quilt Backing

trishaharper....you might post pics of the front and back so there's a better understanding of what you're stating. I think I understand that one vertical seam on your backing fabric does not match up with a seam in the front?

Guess what? It doesn't have to. The admiration is the quilt top that your great-grandmother pieced...what a treasure! Don't be too hard on yourself, because several of us have quilted and finished the sandwich with buckles on the backing or the quilt stitching isn't quite even? Guess what? It will all work out in the end, the backing of the quilt is generally a "stabilizer" for the stitching and not the beauty of the quilt. That is the backing fabric's purpose.....

I'm sure your daughter will love and appreciate your labor of love, sweetie...to share and carry on the family treasure.
    Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

The seam in the backing does not have to line up with any seam on the front. I would never try to do that and neither would my LAQer. Finish up your beautiful quilt and enjoy it. It would be nice if you would post a picture of the quilt so we can see it.
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Oh my goodness. You must be ocd!. Don't even look at it. I can't tell you how many of my quilts thru the years have had a wrinkle in the back or a really big faux paus and I just move on. Its the front people look at. Sure, it would be nice if they were all perfect but leave that to the slave labor people. When your quilt is passed on as an heirloom your generations to come will have the beauty to admire and heck, maybe they will aspire to quilt just a tad bit better than great grandma did...give them hope. lol
        Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
        Terry

Comment

Thank you ladies for the kind words of encouragement. Now I can breathe and finish my quilt. I will post a picture when I it is completed. Hope all of you have a blessed day.

Comment

A picture would be good if you could post one. But honestly don't fuss over this, once it is all quilted it will be just fine. And what a wonderful keepsake. I know you must feel honored to be able to finish this family heirloom! Don't be afraid, you will not ruin it!!

Comment

Trisha harper were you really posting this thread this morning--at 40 am??? Hahaha you are obsessed with quilting!

Comment

We're all a little (or a lot) OCD at times. Doesn't mean anyone else in the world will notice unless you point it out. My husband chastises me for gifting a quilt and immediately telling everyone what's wrong with it. I sometimes put a quilt away and then later take it out for the longarm and am amazed at how pretty they are after time has passed. Take a breathe and enjoy the process!

Comment

Working...
                X