Intrigued at basting method

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intrigued at basting method

Hmmmm, just finished watching a you tube showing a quilt being spray basted without the backing being "fixed down". The batting was laid out first on an ironing board with the backing placed right side up on top of the batting. Half the backing was folded back, sprayed and then smoothed back onto the batting and then lightly ironed to fix in place. The "quilt" was then moved over the edge of the ironing board and the process repeated on the other half. The whole thing was then turned over with the batting uppermost and the top was then spray basted on in the same way with a light iron to finish it off. Wow, the quilt looked pretty wrinkle free......I was rather impressed at how simple and quick it all seemed to be and the "poster" said you could do it with larger quilts as well, just concentrating on one half f the width at a time. I always worry that I am either making my backing too taut, or too slack when I clip it down and this seems that the smoothing and ironing takes away the guessing and worry. What do others think? Has anyone else done their basting this way?

Re: Intrigued at basting method

Can you post the link?
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

Is this the video you were referring to?
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPedPf4hdVY

I have used this method - and after i spray baste, I generally press and since I hand quilt, I am a very generous pinner. Even with a spray baste, after handling the layers, they can shift.

Have fun!
      Sewing mends the soul.
      sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
      Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
      ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Yes, thanks Blondie that's the you tube I watched. I'm keen to give this a go and thought I would do a machine baste as well.

Comment

Think I will try that method...always looking for an easier way to sandwich quilt. That's always my least favorite part of quilting.

Comment

Originally posted by just4me View Post
            Yes, thanks Blondie that's the you tube I watched. I'm keen to give this a go and thought I would do a machine baste as well.
            I don't know that I would machine baste - pinning while taking a bit more time would leave you without having to remove the basting stitches. Of course, you could always hand baste, which I have also done in years past
            Sewing mends the soul.
            sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
            Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
            ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

I use a table, but basically exactly as you describe. Works just fine. Usually I will press the back to make sure all is smooth and that allows me to make any correction.

Comment

I've used this method several times. In fact, this is probably the way I always will unless I have my quilt done by a LAQ. It works well and has been a successful method for me. I machine quilt and my quilts turn out pretty nicely. I do always iron the layers after I spray baste and they smooth out really well.
                A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

After viewing this, I believe I use way too much basting spray! I haven't had any problems but probably don't need to spray so much. I haven't ironed after the spray but I think I will try it. Always learning something new and helpful on these forums!
                  I am Sew Blessed!
                  Alina

Comment

I spray baste quilts I'm going to quilt myself all the time. It's a great way to keep the quilt sandwich together. I don't iron the quilt afterwards though, it doesn't seem necessary to me.

Comment

I'm still pin basting. I find that if I use this tool it goes much faster and is easier on my fingers. I stick in the pins and then go back and close them all at the same time instead of closing them one at a time. It really speeds up the whole process basting this way. Nipkg Kwik Klip Incredible Safety Pin Closer Wonderful Quilting Assistant | eBay
                      Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Originally posted by Blondie View Post
                        Is this the video you were referring to?
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPedPf4hdVY

I have used this method - and after i spray baste, I generally press and since I hand quilt, I am a very generous pinner. Even with a spray baste, after handling the layers, they can shift.

Have fun!
                        I am a hq too and just baste by hand. Why would you spray and pin? Wouldn't you just do one way or the other? That would be like basting twice.

Comment

Originally posted by Blondie View Post
                          I don't know that I would machine baste - pinning while taking a bit more time would leave you without having to remove the basting stitches. Of course, you could always hand baste, which I have also done in years past
                          Blondie, I was thinking about trying machine basting with water soluble thread so it would just wash out when I wash the quilt at completion.

Comment

I always spray baste...usually on my design wall, but sometimes on a bed....I love it... Basting spray eliminates bunching or shifting... And it washes right out... The method you saw sounds interesting...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Originally posted by jjkaiser View Post
                              I am a hq too and just baste by hand. Why would you spray and pin? Wouldn't you just do one way or the other? That would be like basting twice.

I like to hand quilt, too... I still spray baste, though... No need for pins!

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Working...
                              X