Sewing machine question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sewing machine question

I am looking for a not too expensive machine to try to learn to do some FMQ on. My current Janome has a very small throat area. The two I'm considering are the Singer S16 (which is currently $580 on an Amazon daily deal) or a Brother PQ1500SL (which is currently $684). Do any of you have any experience with either of these?? Both get pretty good reviews. (I have nowhere to go to try them out.). Thanks for any input!
    Brenda. :icon_wave:

Re: Sewing machine question

Yay! Singer S-16! I have it and love it. It was $377 on Amazon last week for about 2 hours! Some say it is listed for $410 on the Singer site.

9" throat, uses a darning plate instead of dropping the feed dogs. This does not interfere with FMQing. I love, love ,love my S-16! It is basically a Janome 1600 with a different paint color.

And I think the Brother is pretty similar, it may drop feed dogs.

Comment

There was a thread on the Singer a few days ago and it got great reviews. I believe the throat was 9''.
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

Jean beat me to it!
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
          Yay! Singer S-16! I have it and love it. It was $377 on Amazon last week for about 2 hours! Some say it is listed for $410 on the Singer site.

9" throat, uses a darning plate instead of dropping the feed dogs. This does not interfere with FMQing. I love, love ,love my S-16! It is basically a Janome 1600 with a different paint color.

And I think the Brother is pretty similar, it may drop feed dogs.
          THANKS! Guess I missed the "flash" sale on Amazon while I was gone fishing and had no WiFi but glad to know you love it! I'll check the Singer site.

Comment

The singer store has the S16 for $410.
            K is for Karen 😊​ Albuquerque, NM..................
            Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
            T - is it TRUE?
            H - is it HELPFUL?
            I - is it INSPIRING?
            N - is it NECESSARY?
            K - is it KIND?

Comment

When I took my paper piecing class, the instructor had the Juki 2010 and a fellow classmate had the Brother. When set side by side, they are nearly identical. I have the Juki, but would not hesitate to get the Brother.
              pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I am anxiously awaiting the delivery of my new Singer S16 from the Singer website. One of our posters said hers was due to be delivered today, I think. She said she would let us know about it.

Or maybe that was on another forum.....
                Regardless, a lot of people are buying these.

Comment

I ordered the S16 from Singer. They said there would be a 2-3 day delay because there were so many orders! It was $410 with no tax and free shipping! Yay! Thanks for all the replies.

Comment

Mine was delivered yesterday but I didn't have time to open the box since we had a Bible study at our house. I'm hoping I can get to it tonight or definitely tomorrow when I'm not working.
                    I am Sew Blessed!
                    Alina

Comment

Mine came today by UPS. That was fast! I had company and haven't gotten it opened up yet, but will now.

Comment

Ok, for those of you with new machines! Make sure you oil it up good before running it hard! I remember mine was a bit noisy at first and it sucked up the oil big time. Use the oil holes on top of the machine, and I put a drop on the feed dogs and on the bobbin race. Keep it oiled.

For the bobbin, place it in the case with the thread end to the right so the bobbin spins clockwise.

Upper tension, the thread path should go through the thread holder mast and directly to the pretensioner. Thread through 2 of the three holes on the little finger and then through the pretensioner disks. Then thread as usual. Sometimes the spools are wound differently, if the thread is not coming off smoothly, flip it so it unwinds opposite, sometimes this makes a difference.

Have fun! Keep the oil bottle handy! It's a high speed mechanical machine and it loves its oil!

Comment

Oh! I should have checked back here before I tore into the box. It was the devil to get threaded right, kept breaking at first. I need to oil it good, I guess. Haven't run it hard yet.
                          I first tried filling the bobbin with Aurifil, and it made a mess of it. Impossibly looped and bunched up. I had to cut it off the bobbin snip by snip and throw it away. Then I used some Coats and Clarks thread, and the bobbin filled perfectly.
                          I had a little trouble with getting the top thread tension right, but it is ok now.
                          Will play with it more tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Snip Snip View Post
                            Oh! I should have checked back here before I tore into the box. It was the devil to get threaded right, kept breaking at first. I need to oil it good, I guess. Haven't run it hard yet.
                            I first tried filling the bobbin with Aurifil, and it made a mess of it. Impossibly looped and bunched up. I had to cut it off the bobbin snip by snip and throw it away. Then I used some Coats and Clarks thread, and the bobbin filled perfectly.
                            I had a little trouble with getting the top thread tension right, but it is ok now.
                            Will play with it more tomorrow.
                            I usually tie my thread to the existing thread when I change thread colors, and pull it through the tension mechanisms all the way to the needle. Then use the threader to thread the sideways needle. Makes threading it a lot easier than re threading through all those tension thingies!

Comment

This machine sews great, but I am finding that sewing just two layers together makes the fabric pucker. I have played with the tension and have the upper thread tension almost to zero, but the puckering still occurs. Not bad, and it might press out, but still, I don't think it should be there. Sewing through several layers it doesn't seem to happen. I also adjusted the presser foot pressure, to less, wondering if that was the problem. Didn't seem to make any difference. But I didn't adjust it to zero, reading that is not advised. Using Coats and Clarks poly thread.
                              The stitches look great, depth is good and even.
                              Any suggestions?

Comment

Working...
                              X