Donating quilts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Donating quilts

I would like to donate a quilt to a organization ie. Moms in need or veterans, I hate to ask this, but can I ask for a receipt, and can I claim it on taxes? We spend a lot of time, fabric and energy on making them.
    Carrie

I cut it twice and it was still too short!

Re: Donating quilts

Of course you can, and there's nothing wrong with it unless you pad the price. I worked in a non-profit (for free) for more than 10 years, and signed a lot of receipts for taxes.

Comment

You can only claim the cost of your supplies to make the quilt.
      I write off all my donations.

Comment

I think I would check with a tax person. It doesn't seem right that you can only deduct the cost of materials. I would think it should be plus labor. People who do volunteer work are able to take off for travel expenses and such I think. I would think if you had a picture and could compare it to retail sales elsewhere but I would check with a tax person
        Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
        Terry

Comment

There is nothing wrong with asking for a receipt. When I used to volunteer for a non-profit I was more than happy to give a receipt to anyone who made a donation. I believe that you can deduct the cost of your materials only, not your time (that doesn't seem fair but am pretty sure that's how it works.) Just to be sure, check with your accountant.

Comment

Originally posted by grammaterry View Post
            I think I would check with a tax person. It doesn't seem right that you can only deduct the cost of materials. I would think it should be plus labor. People who do volunteer work are able to take off for travel expenses and such I think. I would think if you had a picture and could compare it to retail sales elsewhere but I would check with a tax person
            You would have to declare income if you included you labor costs. You can only declare the cost of materials. Sorry but that's Gov at work. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by grammaterry View Post
              I donate my longarm quilting services to a few charities. My mother was an accountant and this is what she followed: certain transportation expenses, such as mileage; quilting supplies, such as batting and thread are also deductible. Keep your proof of purchase for supplies. Labor is not a deductible expense.

Comment

Thank you I appreciated the tips!
                Carrie

I cut it twice and it was still too short!

Comment

sure you can write it off those costs! Just ask a receipt

Comment

Working...
                  X