Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strips, Design, Layout..... Math....Suggestions ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strips, Design, Layout..... Math....Suggestions ...

Pulled together some really cute fabrics.....(My Hunny, went FABRIC shopping with me....lol.....and he Eyed this grate Ford piece, I am tickled over, because, it was the one piece I needed to get a going on this project.
    So this is PawPaw & Bee's quilt project....

I've not designed my own pattern before. I could use some help on this. So I don't over look something, if you will...... Please, take a minute, and help me make sure, I've got a accurate plan, before I start cutting out. K was going to, but she hasn't had time since baby Reese is taking up every second, you know like babies do....
    I'm anions to get some piecing, to work on.....
    IMG_20160528_105534.jpg
    *So the large scale Ford trucks,
    the largest strip, at the largest 7" or 8" ( may be fust to big) ??? that's showing two trucks, of each color.
    at the smallest 4 1/2" (one truck of each color).

20160506_094731640.jpg
    The thin B\W stripe, colld be,....Backing,..Or......Bias, ???

*I think using two smaller Strips, one above and one below, would frame and pull out colors in the truck fabric. I'm thinking 2 1/2" Or 3" would look good.

IMG_20160528_105545.jpg

*Now my piecing block , * I'm wanting to make a arrow design, using flying geese, or in this case a, goose, for a singular point,
    One row <<<<<, top or bottom then >>>>>>opposite row , top or bottom.
    I haven't made one yet, so unsure what this measurement will be ,
    the larger triangle, is a 4"
    I think.
    This is where ???
    * Should this block and the truck strip be close to the same size to look good, or what do you think ??? *

I'll be doing my best, to hold true to the FORD color's.
    Pawpaw is a FORD MAN......FYI......😶
    Thanks for looking.

....Bee
    The footprint's in the sand are not mine, but is that of the Lord's, who has been carrying me....

~~♡sigpic
    ~~~~Sewn By Bee

Re: Strips, Design, Layout..... Math....Suggestions ...

I don't have any great idea but I'm going to Bump this up
    :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

Did you try and draw it out yet?. That's a lot of ideas just reading it.
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

Looks like it will a lot of fun to put together. I would probably try laying out the fabrics next to each other, choose what will be the backing. By seeing things layed out it is easier to see how the colors work. And drawing out a simple plan works right along. Then you will see things start to come together. I look forward to seeing the final design.
        Karen
        Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

Bee, if I had fabric like your truck fabric, I wouldn’t want to cut it up into small pieces. I would make a panel quilt. To do that, cut a large, vertical panel (vertical would be better than horizontal or square). Then surround the panel with borders until the quilt top is the size you want the quilt to be. The borders could be a combination of a few strips of fabric, also a row of flying geese, and a row of 4-patch squares. Alternate these borders and their colors, so you will have contrast. You chose excellent colors to go with the truck fabric, which shows that you have a good eye for color. Go to google.com and type “panel quilts” and you can see pictures of a lot of examples of panel quilts. If you aren’t sure how to make a row of flying geese, go again to google.com and type “flying geese tutorial.” I hope you will post pictures of your progress. Good luck!

Comment

I'd also do a panel quilt, or go get more of the truck fabric and use it for the backing!
            pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Here's an idea

car quilt.jpg
              🌺 Lorie

Comment

Bee, I love Hulamoon's idea above. I also think you need to leave the Ford fabric in larger pieces. Love all your fabrics to go with it.
                sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I do like Hulamoon's pic above.

However, it seems like your fabric would be hard to fussy cut just ONE truck -- cause you'd get the bumper or something of another truck in it since they are close together on the fabric. Unless it was possible to snowball the corners of the fussy cut trucks so that the snowballs covered the images of other truck parts in the main fussy cut. Make sense?

Given the "rectangular" nature of the truck image and the close proximity of the trucks on the fabric ... it may make sense to cut into strips so that the entire image of trucks can be seen -- with small portions of bumpers or Ford logo peeking out through the strip.

As for your fabric color choices: WOW!

One thing to consider for the binding: use the b/w pinstripe fabric and cut it ON THE DIAGONAL! Will give more interest to your binding because the stripes will be diagonal. There is a National Quilter's Circle video on Youtube that demonstrates this, but I can't find it right now.
                  Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link: :icon_woohoo:
                  http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Comment

I like Hulamoon's picture! The fabric you picked is so cute. I would draw this quilt out to get some ideas. Because the cars are different sizes you could add some of the other fabrics (I'm thinking that red solid) around the smaller ones to make them both the same size block. Then you could go from there using the other fabrics. I think either of the striped fabrics would make a pretty binding. I'm looking forward to seeing whatever you decide to do on this quilt.

Comment

Re: Strips, &amp; PANEL... Design, Layout..... Math....Suggestions ...?

Great suggestions...... I'm terrible at putting my thoughts in words...
                      A PANNEL is WHAT I meant to say.....with smaller panel, braking it up.
                      Sorry about the ‹confusion, .... I was trying to hurry..... No kidding, this is the third 3, .... time,.... I have tried to post THIS post, over several week's, so I????? I don't know.

I sure do appreciate the links, & suggestions.

No way...lol..., I don't Want to cut up my trucks, so GLAD, YOU AGREE.

I did lay them out.....
                      It's the smaller pannel pieces......????? ..... I, can't decide how wide they need to be.... 2 1\2" , 3" , 4".

A Big O THANK U FOR UR HELP FRIENDS....

...Cause the fabrics do play well together.... BUT..... PAWPAW.....doesn't see anything other than the ....SOLIDS....that he likes together....lol....did
                      you see any clever combination .... you might would use together for some piece work.....that's. WHY I wanted....or chose, the flying geese, so there would be a little.... piecing, .....in this lil Quilt.

* Should I attempt to FIX THE POST TITLE ..????
                      TO TRY & fix my mistake??? *

Last edited by SewnByBee; June 1, 2016, 12:03 PM. Reason: To fix title.

....Bee
                      The footprint's in the sand are not mine, but is that of the Lord's, who has been carrying me....

~~♡sigpic
                      ~~~~Sewn By Bee

Comment

[QUOTE=SewnByBee;880490]Pulled together some really cute fabrics.....(My Hunny, went FABRIC shopping with me....lol.....and he Eyed this grate Ford piece, I am tickled over, because, it was the one piece I needed to get a going on this project.
                        So this is PawPaw & Bee's quilt project....

I've not designed my own pattern before. I could use some help on this. So I don't over look something, if you will.....

PANNEL......IS WHAT I MENT.....
                        I WISH I COULD CHANGE THE TITLE JUST WANTED YOU TO KNOW.....MY MISTAKE.....♡

Please, take a minute, and help me make sure, I've got a accurate plan, before I start cutting out. K was going to, but she hasn't had time since baby Reese is taking up every second, you know like babies do....
                        I'm anions to get some piecing, to work on.....
                        IMG_20160528_105534.jpg
                        *So the large scale Ford trucks,
                        the largest strip, at the largest 7" or 8" ( may be fust to big) ??? that's showing two trucks, of each color.
                        at the smallest 4 1/2" (one truck of each color).

20160506_094731640.jpg
                        The thin B\W stripe, colld be,....Backing,..Or......Bias, ???

*I think using two smaller Strips, one above and one below, would frame and pull out colors in the truck fabric. I'm thinking 2 1/2" Or 3" would look good.

IMG_20160528_105545.jpg

*Now my piecing block , * I'm wanting to make a arrow design, using flying geese, or in this case a, goose, for a singular point,
                        One row <<<<<, top or bottom then >>>>>>opposite row , top or bottom.
                        I haven't made one yet, so unsure what this measurement will be ,
                        the larger triangle, is a 4"
                        I think.
                        This is where ???
                        * Should this block and the truck strip be close to the same size to look good, or what do you think ??? *

I'll be doing my best, to hold true to the FORD color's.
                        Pawpaw is a FORD MAN......FYI......
                        Thanks for looking.

....Bee

~~♡sigpic
                        ~~~~Sewn By Bee

Comment

Originally posted by bubba View Post
                          I'd also do a panel quilt, or go get more of the truck fabric and use it for the backing!
                          * I was thinking, PANELS, but flubbed, typing this out....SORRY...YES MA'EM ,... Definitely.... a better way , to use this, Ford Truck fabric.

Thanks for All, the compliments on the fabrics....I have been picking them up, one by one, for a while.... I found the racing checks online , and thought it was perfect for a Ford fan, too. Patients for this project, hasn't been as compatible.....

...So I'll play with it 'till I like it. Thanks for the encouragement, suggestions, and wording.

I think this will be a fun project, and I'll, share as I'm going. Im. Sure I'll need your experience, to guide me through this one...lol.

Lori, on one of those large scale prints, I did find by Ford, would be grate with the pic out posted....Thank you. I'll, know what to do with that one now too.

....Bee

~~♡sigpic
                          ~~~~Sewn By Bee

Comment

Working...
                          X