To steam or not to steam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To steam or not to steam

When pressing open your seems should you use steam or no steam?

Re: To steam or not to steam

I don't use steam when pressing seams. And, for my blocks, I don't press the seams "open". I press them to the "dark side" (towards the darker fabric). I do press the seams open when joining strips for the binding?
    ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

This has been a subject on here many times. It seems the best answer is what you like to do yourself. Steam can stretch your fabric easier if you aren't careful but it does give a much better seam. Dry is great too especially using starch for the bias fabrics.

So I guess the best answer is to try both ways and see which is better for you.
      Alana
      To live a creative life we must lose our fear of being wrong.
      alanashideaway.blogspot.com
      https://www.facebook.com/quiltsbyAlana

Comment

I was taught in my first quilting class that steam works better IF you press and don't iron -- ironing will stretch the fabric. Easier said than done -- it's difficult to remember to press and lift rather than move the iron around as if you're ironing a shirt. I've found either way works -- when I take my travel iron to quilting retreats I don't bother taking water and use a dry iron and it has worked just as well as steam pressing with my larger iron at home.
        Dawn
        A bed without a quilt is like a sky without stars.

Comment

My steam feature died on my iron years ago. Most of my seams are dry ironed. If I have a stubborn one, spritz from a mister-bottle of water seems to fix the problem. The biggest problems always come from the seams that have multiple points all coming together. Those need some steam.
          Be who you are and say what you feel
          because those who mind don't matter,
          and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

I just recently decided to stop using steam. I always end up stretching my blocks when I use steam. I've tried and tried to retrain myself to lift and set the iron down, not roll it around on the fabric, but man, I'm bad at needing to roll that iron all over the fabric. So no steam for me!
            Gayle

Comment

I like to steam when I set the seam and no steam when press open. Best of both worlds Used to be steam crazy.....but saw it was stretching stuff out.
              To quilt or not to quilt?.....what a ridiculous question!
              Check out all things quilty at my blog here: http://www.sassyquilter.com

Comment

I used to use steam and I got lovely sharp seams but sometimes they went wonky, particularly if they were bias seams. I read on a blog that leaving off the steam would prevent them becoming misshapen and so I haven't used steam since. As an added bonus, I have a lot fewer burns/scalds on my fingers (I'm very accident prone!)
                Quilting through the dull times
                northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

Dry iron and a tendancy to iron instead of press. But press always on the dark side. That is what I do.
                  Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

I like a little steam and my steam setting is adjustable. However, I press with an up and down motion - I don't iron back and forth. You will have to try both methods and see what works best for you. I don't press my seams open when I make quilts with the exception of the seams on binding strips.
                    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Working...
                    X