Log cabin-- currently hate it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Log cabin-- currently hate it!

Currently taking a beginners class in which we make 7 different blocks from Alex Anderson's book. I hate the log cabin block. We need to make 3 blocks and I think I did them wrong. Because I dislike this block I am not redoing it- no one will know it is wrong but a quilter and they will never see it!

Re: Log cabin-- currently hate it!

if you like them as they are that is the important thing, do not hit yourself on the head....
    All you need is Love

Comment

They are your blocks.... You can do whatever you want yo eith them... I've only made a couple if LC blocks.... I found it hard to jrtpjetk term square...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

I have log cabin blocks done as a QAYG and I did such a bad job on the quilting, I haven't put it together yet. One of the blocks, I think I just need to rip out all the quilting and do it over. I did all different kinds of quilting on the different blocks, just experimenting. On some blocks the quilting is so heavy, it shrunk the size of the block, so they aren't all the same size anymore. The thing is, I really love the fabric, just not what I have done to it.

Comment

Don't worry, like you said no one will notice. Thank God there are so many other blocks to make beside the log cabin.

A friend gave me a book on log cabin quilts and one day I'll make one. I hope I don't have problems with it like you have. It seems so easy.

Comment

I haven't made one yet, but I'm wondering if it's how your teacher is instructing you. I see so many nice tutorials on it. Maybe take a look at some to get a fresh look at it.
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

I really love the log cabin block. Mine are never perfect but I just think they make such a lovely old traditional quilt. One of the first ones I made, the book said to use lights and darks . Of course the book was in black and white and I thought, hummm. I'll just do prints and solids. I produced the quilt, finished it, hand quilted it and know why they wanted lights and darks...but, I like the quilt...it just isn't traditional or particularly wonderful. But its minelogcabin.jpg

Comment

I really love the log cabin block. Mine are never perfect but I just think they make such a lovely old traditional quilt. One of the first ones I made, the book said to use lights and darks . Of course the book was in black and white and I thought, hummm. I'll just do prints and solids. I produced the quilt, finished it, hand quilted it and know why they wanted lights and darks...but, I like the quilt...it just isn't traditional or particularly wonderful. But its minelogcabin.jpg I might add that I made it from old rayon skirts and left over fabrics.

Comment

I'm sorry you're having trouble with the block ,because it can be an easy block used to make so many different layout designs.The first quilt I did was a log cabin it wasn't perfect but the design was a star and I loved that.
                  :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

I always thought this was a pretty easy pattern--until I tried making it. I made a few blocks then decided nah, I want to do something else. As I recall I read and re-read the instruction many times but my block was supposed to be square, one was square and the next one was more of a rectangle and so they didn't fit together right. I never figured out what I was doing wrong!

Comment

I did the curvy log cabin that Jenny did, and love it. Here is how I quilted it.P8030780.jpg

Comment

Log Cabin is my favorite quilt pattern because of its versatility. There are patterns where you stitch each log and trim and others that tell you to precut the strips at certain lengths. I find that the quilts where the logs are precut ahead of time are more accurate and square. The ones where you stitch the strip and then trim the ends (like Jenny's Curved Log Cabin) are more fun to make.
                        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Log Cabin 2016 Border.jpg

I made this log cabin throw after watching a Craftsy class on log cabin patterns. I opted to use 16 blocks made with jelly roll strips and yardage. I didn't think I would have the patience to make one using smaller strips. I can say I will definitely make more log cabin quilts in my future. My quilt is a small throw I currently use at the foot of one of the guest rooms beds. The next one will be larger for another bed or smaller as a child's quilt (baby).

The throw was not finished in this picture because I used a brown for the binding which I don't see. I used a meandering pattern on it also.
                          Last edited by Angela J; May 22nd, 2016, 05:39 AM. Reason: additonal information

Comment

I love the LC block. It has so many design possibilities. It's really not a very difficult block but you do have to pay close attention to placement of each strip for it to turn out correctly. And, it can even be paper pieced for more accuracy, if you choose. I also wonder, as some others here did, if it is being instructed poorly. At any rate, if it's not the block for you though, that's okay too! Lots of great blocks out there you will love making!!
                            Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Comment

A log cabin block has history behind it, the light/dark
                              fabric colors as well as the center square.
                              Precision is necessary when piecing this block.
                              Every added strip must be squared.
                              Eleanor's Burns has a great book on making
                              a Log Cabin Quilt.
                              A great baby quilt, or a lap quilt. Just keep in mind
                              dark and light fabrics are needed to make the"logs"
                              Last edited by Bernina2; May 22nd, 2016, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X