Log cabin-- currently hate it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Log cabin-- currently hate it!

That is exactly what I was trying to say in my post wth the picture of LC going wrong because of color choices. Thanks for being so linguisticly accurate.
    Originally posted by Bernina2 View Post
    A log cabin block has history behind it, the light/dark
    fabric colors as well as the center square.
    Precision is necessary when piecing this block.
    Every added strip must be squared.
    Eleanor's Burns has a great book on making
    a Log Cabin Quilt.
    A great baby quilt, or a lap quilt. Just keep in mind
    dark and light fabrics are needed to make the"logs"

Comment

I've noticed also that the ones I have stashed away right now are not quite square either, JJ. I recently purchased a ruler for the log cabin and the pineapple blocks that looks fun to use especially since you sew on a strip and then trim to size. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLalHEa5A_Y I haven't tried them yet but I think it will be fun to make a scrap log cabin and use up lots of my bins of leftovers.
      Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

I am sorry to read so many disappointing experiences with the log cabin block. I made this block on one of my first quilts, 5 years ago. I didn't find it difficult. The instructions gave specific lengths for all of the logs - that was hard to keep in order - but perhaps it was the secret to the block turning out successfully. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of that quilt. I didn't find it difficult, but it was time consuming.

I think I also have a small table topper with this pattern. I'll have to check my container of finished projects.
        If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

2015-01-24 12.16.43.jpg
          I made a weird log cabin for a baby quilt. I used my seam ripper a lot on this one, but it still was not show worthy. It was loved by the recipients, though.

Comment

I also love the versatility of log cabin blocks. So many possibilities!

I am not a pre-cutter. I only cut the center, then sew and trim as I go along. It is a very time consuming block, this helps me not get too bored! I also do not square up as I go. So far I have not had any problems.

I made one for my daughter, It was so much work but she loves it. I do too.

c6a9ef43-114b-4412-a395-ba6468c2f761_zpssliwzed1.jpg
            Cathryn

Comment

I'm sorry you are having so much trouble with this block. I love the log cabin and YES depending on your design it can become confusing at times. Go to Jenny' tutorial Curved Log Cabin. I made this and believe me, I am NOT an experienced quilter. However, if it still is a "stickler" then there are myriads of other beautiful designs. SEW ON!

Comment

Thank you ladies on all of your comments on the log cabin. I do believe my instructor is teaching a correct way and she said the log cabin is so versatile. I guess the confusing and frustrating part for me is the squaring up-and then if it is not square I have not figured out what to do. I guess I just need to get my head around it and figure out what I am doing-however as one of you said-there are so many beautiful blocks to put together- I think I will be passing on the log cabin.

Comment

I think the secret to making log cabin blocks is making sure each strip is cut exactly correct, squaring up as you sew the strips together, sewing consistent seams, & squaring the finished block. When I made the "Freedom Star" quilt, which is half LC, & have star blocks w/flying geese, I thought the LC blocks went together quite easily. I cut out all the strips ahead of time & had them lined up on the table in order. I had bought a LC ruler, but I didn't like it. I cut the strips myself using my Creative Grids rulers. The "Freedom Star" quilt pattern is free on the Henry Glass web site. It was an AmericanaF.S. Quilt Top Aug. 2013 003.jpgF.S. Quilt Top Aug. 2013 008.jpg quilt I made for my son & DIL. I think it's one of the best quilts I've ever made. The flying geese were much more time-consuming.

Comment

JCY, that quilt is beautiful. I will look up the pattern - thanks for sharing.
                    Cindy

Comment

If someone notices who cares....remember no quilt police. I hate it when you start sewing a project and it does not turn out how you like it and therefore you don't want to finish it. If there are mistakes don't let that get in your way. The project if better left finished than unfinished.
                      Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

I browsed the Henry Glass web site under Project Library. This pattern is no longer listed there. I guess it's outlived its popularity. There are lots of free patterns there, however, for those who might be interested.

Comment

What a nice quilt Terry....love the colors !
                          Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
                          http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

JCY, I totally agree with seaturtle here, this is an awesome quilt you have made ! Love it ! Great job !
                            Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
                            http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

Joy your quilt is absolutely gorgeous!!

Comment

Originally posted by JCY View Post
                                I think the secret to making log cabin blocks is making sure each strip is cut exactly correct, squaring up as you sew the strips together, sewing consistent seams, & squaring the finished block. When I made the "Freedom Star" quilt, which is half LC, & have star blocks w/flying geese, I thought the LC blocks went together quite easily. I cut out all the strips ahead of time & had them lined up on the table in order. I had bought a LC ruler, but I didn't like it. I cut the strips myself using my Creative Grids rulers. The "Freedom Star" quilt pattern is free on the Henry Glass web site. It was an Americana[ATTACH=CONFIG]130862[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]130863[/ATTACH] quilt I made for my son & DIL. I think it's one of the best quilts I've ever made. The flying geese were much more time-consuming.
                                What you said is what my instructor has said, sewing accurately, cutting accurately, and squaring up after putting each strip on. That is a beautiful quilt, kudos for making it.

Comment

Working...
                                X