Non traditional sewing tools?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non traditional sewing tools?

What's in your sewing room that you probably won't find a Joann's that you use for sewing/quilting/crafting? I have blue printer tape, chopsticks, a homemade magnetic pincushion I made from the Home Depot and a Home Depot orange bucket for scraps!
    Carrie

I cut it twice and it was still too short!

Re: Non traditional sewing tools?

Originally posted by ucarrieme View Post
    What's in your sewing room that you probably won't find a Joann's that you use for sewing/quilting/crafting? I have blue printer tape, chopsticks, a homemade magnetic pincushion I made from the Home Depot and a Home Depot orange bucket for scraps!
    Cuticle sticks-the pointed side to use as a stiletto and the square side to move cross seams under the pressure foot.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	sticks.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	1605098

Toilet paper holder for my Jelly Rolls.

Name:	stand.JPG
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	1605099

File Holder wall mounted to hold my rulers.

Name:	folder.jpg
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	1605100

Computer swirl base duck taped under a craft cutting mat to trim HSTs

Name:	swirl.jpg
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	1605101

Best of Quilting,
    DR
    Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first!

Comment

And of course, those ubiquitous Harbor Freight magnetic bowls...

Name:	bowl.jpg
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	1605102
      Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first!

Comment

Chopsticks instead of a stilletto.

Aluminum drinking glass for holding my marking pencils.

Hanging utensil rack for scissors.

Numerous plastic bowls with tight snapping lids (like from deli salads) to use for pins and little bits of things.
        Yankee candle jars for buttons.

Comment

My magnetic bowl and my eyebrow trimmers!
          pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

This us a fun topic!

I have the ever present Blue Painter's Tape, and the very useful Harbor Freight Magnetic Bowl....My husband got it for mr several years ago..... He also got me a long handled magnet... Great for when pins spill onto the floor.

I also use several wicker baskets, for "pieces", and a plastic Christmas cookie tin to collect those tiny bits and pieces that collect on my cutting mat every day....

I use this pretty condiment try girl idea and ends...
            Attached Files

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

I got this for rulers.

http://www.amazon.com/StudioPRO-721-...ilpage_o03_s00
              sigpic

Lorie

Comment

Great topic! Yes to blue painter's tape and wood cuticle sticks. I have a lot of McCoy pottery. I use a couple plant pots to hold scissors and as a pencil/pen/marking pencil cup. I have an old china dresser set that was my grandma's. I use the covered bowls for pins and for leader/enders. A small lucite desk organizer holds small rulers and templates.

Comment

I have a small wooden child's chair next to my cutting table that I almost took to Goodwill, the legs were wobbly and after repeated gluing would still not hold together enough to be safe to sit on. The back of the chair has vertical spindles every two inches. Now when I am cutting and need to switch back and forth from one ruler to the next I just stand up the ruler I am not using between the chair rungs. It is really handy! No more picking rulers up off the floor when they get knocked off the cutting table. And I can use the seat of the chair for piles of fabric or completed blocks. I find the clear stick-on hooks really handy also, put two on my closet doors (my sewing room used to be a bedroom) and store two rulers on each hook. If you get the kind of hooks that are half metal you can bend the metal part a little to accommodate the ruler.
                  I love this post and hope to try some of your ideas out!

Comment

I have a flexible small mirror from the Auto dept. at Sears...works great when I am replacing the machine needles.

Comment

Blue painters tape, popsicyle sticks for adding just a little extra seam allowance, eyebrow tweezers,a large magnet that picks up all my pins at once because I usually drop the whole box,several different sized bowls for rounding corners on quilts, and a small deep laundry basket that collects patterns,books, and instructions to be put away. Kathy
                      All quilts cat tested and approved.
                      sigpic

Comment

I use a lid holding rack for my rulers & templates. I use pipe cleaners (bought at Hobby Lobby) for cleaning fuzz out of the bobbin area. Click image for larger version

Name:	First COC Quilt & Applique - May 2016 006.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	1605108Click image for larger version

Name:	First COC Quilt & Applique - May 2016 007.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	1605109 A tip I learned from my first quilting teacher was to use a cardboard tube to wrap the binding strips around. Use yarn to make a necklace. Hang it around your neck when sewing the binding on to the quilt. It's easy to feed the fabric along without having binding draped everywhere or stepping on it. I do not press the binding in half prior to sewing it on. I have a wide-mouthed peanut butter jar in which I store my colored pencils. Some of my other holders for pens, scissors, etc. are empty tin cans or small jars. I also use empty greeting card boxes to store certain scraps or small projects. I label the edge of the box with a Sharpie. I bought a divided plastic storage box at Target in which I store all the tools, needles, etc. for my LA. I keep it right by the table for easy access. A flashlight -- needed to visualize the bobbin area (under the table) of my LA so I can clean out the fuzz. A goose neck desk lamp to use by my sewing machine for additional lighting. (Wal-Mart, $7.99).

Comment

Love this post
                          Here are a few of mine.
                          My famous toe separators for bobbins

Name:	001.jpg
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	1605110

The *cats claw* my husband made me (stileto you where on your finger) Made from a guitar pick and a large dull tapestry needle.

Name:	002.jpg
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	1605111

A bead organizer from Michael's I use for my most used feet

Name:	003.jpg
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	1605112

assorted magnetic hooks for yardstick, long rulers and scisors

Name:	004.jpg
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	1605113
                          sigpic Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                          Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                          Sigmund Freud

Comment

Wow, some great ideas! Definitely going to try them! I especially love cardboard towel holder idea, I have trouble with what to do with the binding!
                            Carrie

I cut it twice and it was still too short!

Comment

Chopsticks, blue painters tape, cardboard rolls from TP and tin foil. I use many of the items already listed.

I also use empty Rx bottles for needles, buttons and hardware that I may be using for a project.
                              Small cookie tin to collect 2 1/2" scraps.
                              I have a lot of small plastic containers for my needles & filled bobbins; one for each machine as the bobbins are all different.
                              Plastic shoe boxes, lots of them for all sorts of things.
                              One of my MSQ keyring templates that I use to smooth seams on small paper piecing.

I'm saving my empty Aurifil spools, but I don't know why. ..............yet.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X