I need advise...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need advise...

Hi. I am hoping for a little advise. I signed up for a quilting class with 3 others, and we are working on the Spice Market quilt. It is a log cabin on pointe with 85 blocks of five layers each block. The second meeting for this quilt was about 10 days ago. The other three quilters are bored with the layering, and voted to make this a lap quilt with only 39 blocks. The problems is that 1.) I love this quilt. I really want to make a full length version, and 2.) I have already promised this quilt to my youngest stepdaughter. She is expecting a full sized quilt now. I am out-voted. Should I suck it up and just make the lap, and make the full on my own time? Should I stick to my plans and make the full size, therefore missing the next project of this group...We are expected to just use one hour of the next class to complete the Spike Market, and the last hour is dedicated to beginning a pineapple table runner, which I am excited about and want to learn. I'm torn.

Re: I need advise...

stick to your plans. why would you miss the next project? make it into a full on your own time.

Comment

Keep up with the group and move on......just finish it to the size you want on your own time. It is your quilt......do it as you wish!

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Pig Giggles View Post
        Hi. I am hoping for a little advise. I signed up for a quilting class with 3 others, and we are working on the Spice Market quilt. It is a log cabin on pointe with 85 blocks of five layers each block. The second meeting for this quilt was about 10 days ago. The other three quilters are bored with the layering, and voted to make this a lap quilt with only 39 blocks. The problems is that 1.) I love this quilt. I really want to make a full length version, and 2.) I have already promised this quilt to my youngest stepdaughter. She is expecting a full sized quilt now. I am out-voted. Should I suck it up and just make the lap, and make the full on my own time? Should I stick to my plans and make the full size, therefore missing the next project of this group...We are expected to just use one hour of the next class to complete the Spike Market, and the last hour is dedicated to beginning a pineapple table runner, which I am excited about and want to learn. I'm torn.
        I think you should stick to your plans, make it a full-size quilt, but do it on your own time. That way you won't miss out on the next project you are excited about as well !
        Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
        http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

The issue is that I paid for 2 months of classes. May 6th is the last of my 2 hour class. I can't afford another month. Although I have perfected making the block, I still would need an entire 2 hour class period to assemble the blocks into rows and add the triangular borders. If I make the full, the class instructor will only spend an hour on the Spice Market, then move on to the pineapple block for the last hour, and I won't get the help I need to complete the Spice Market. It won't matter that I can do it at home on my own time...it will just sit in a box unfinished because I need more help with it than the instructor is willing to provide. Sigh. Like it or not, I just have to do a lap, too, just to learn how to put it all together. I dislike it when plans are changed after a project is started.

Comment

Where are you Ms Giggles? Perhaps if you are in the southern end of Jefferson Co you could get help from the Evening Star guild members. We meet the first Thursday of each month at No Shelby library at 6:30 plus there is a sit and sew the second Sat of each month at Helena Baptist Church and I am sure someone could help you with your project.

Comment

You don't give yourself enough credit. I think you will be able to finish it in your own time. There are enough knowledgeable people around here who would be more than willing to help you along the way.
              Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

One of the quilting classes I took was for a scrappy quilt called "Junk to Gems." (See my albums.) The class project was for a smaller size than I wanted, so I finished it on my own. Rather than making mine scrappy, I selected specific colors I wanted. I finished it long after the class was over. I also decided to use sashing between my blocks, which the pattern did not call for, & I made a pieced border. I think you should make your quilt the size you want. You'll just have to finish it on your own, or with the offer of help already mentioned. Would the class instructor be willing to meet with you 1:1 for help with the remainder of the quilt? Stick to your guns & make the larger quilt. Post pics when it's done.

Comment

If you have enough time before the next session could you make a small one from different fabrics?

I'm thinking small like a 36x36 which would be large enough for a baby gift. That way you could finish that one to get a feel for finishing ... and then complete the one you promised as large as you want. I'm sure the process would be the same no matter what the size.

Comment

Judy, that's a great idea!

Comment

Do you have a senior center in your area? sometimes they have quilting groups also
                      :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

I was going to make that quilt, but then saw a different way to orient the blocks, and make them twist. I think if you can make the block, you can make any size you want. I never took a class [yet] and have finished the quilts I started. Do they let you take pictures? If so, get as far as you can before finishing, then go to the classes and watch instead of finishing your quilt, and take notes and pictures. Then finish it after you make it the size you want.
                        I am sure someone here can help with any additional questions you may have.
                        No way would I allow someone to tell me what size of quilt I have to make if I am buying the fabric and investing my time. Esoecially if I am also paying for classes. Nope. but I'm stubborn that way. Probably the number one reason I sew, is because I get what I want if I sew it myself.
                        Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

Oh, I would most definitely continue on and make the quilt the size that you want. While the instructor is showing the other gals how to finish it off, could you take notes and photos so that you will have something to refer to when you get ready to finish yours?
                          sigpicLynne in central Illinois

Jeremiah 29:11

Comment

Yep... Stick to your plans, but just finish your quilt on your own.... That way, you can stay with the group, and enjoy the next project..

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Haha..you are so right. I think that's why I was upset. The parameters of the class changed after I bought all the fabric. Thankfully, there is a guild close to me and I'm so happy for the offer to sit in. I love this forum! I thought I was alone in this, but you have been so kind and helpful. I'm not anxious anymore...yay!

Comment

Working...
                              X