Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did you ever go through a point where you wanted to give up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Did you ever go through a point where you wanted to give up?

You have gotten some really good advice. Mine is:

DON"T GIVE UP!!!

Someone also told me once, that you had to have a mistake in every quilt. Some quilts have more 'mistakes' than others.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Thank you all sew much for your encouragement! Your replies have been like a balm to my sore spot, and have uplifted my heart! I'm so thankful I came across M*QC last September. Not only are the employees there so friendly, but the people who hang out on their boards are beyond compare!

I will focus on watching beginner videos, easier projects, and just getting the hang of 1/4" seams, etc. I think you are all right in that I need to get my confidence up by doing smaller projects. I think I'll also focus on slowing down, reminding myself that quilting is not the same as sewing, and to make sure that I can get all of my cutting done at once (or mark down measurements if I have to walk away).

Seriously, I appreciate everyone's input so much! I will just keep pressing on, and trust that no one will notice the mistakes as much as I do!

Comment

Originally posted by Kimber4444 View Post
        I will just keep pressing on, and trust that no one will notice the mistakes as much as I do!
        They won't, especially if you don't point them out.

Comment

Kimber, I posted something similar recently. I'm fairly new here and like you, I had been sewing for a long time but quilting was new to me. I took a few classes and came out of each one with some quilt blocks but nothing finished, and I wanted to finish a quilt top and have it quilted so I had a finished honest-to-goodness quilt.

I saw Jenny's tutorial on the crosswalk quilt and thought, I can do that. I had a jelly roll that I bought when I first started quilting - I didn't really know what to do with it but I liked the colors in it and I knew that quilters used jelly rolls, so I figured that I'd eventually know what to do with it, right?? So, I started on what looked to be an easy quilt, and ran into all kinds of problems right off the bat - my strips bowed, my squares weren't square, etc. I posted about my frustration on here, and I got SO MUCH help and encouragement from people I didn't know, to someone new on the board! I was overwhelmed with the kindness and encouragement, and determined to finish this quilt top. If it ended up being smaller or a different size because I made a mistake that couldn't be fixed and had to use fewer blocks, so be it - but I was going to finish it and not expect it to be perfect.

As I went along, I discovered ways to make my seams match better, and although my squares obviously finished smaller than the ones in the tutorial, the seams, for the most part, match up closely enough that I'm happy with them. Whenever I'd get frustrated, I'd repeat "Finished is better than perfect." I've been plugging away for a few weeks now as I have time to sew. And...I'm happy to report that this afternoon I put the last two rows on my quilt top!! I have to do the two borders yet, but I had to order a bit more fabric because I don't have enough, but when that comes, I'll add my borders, have it quilted, sew on the binding, and celebrate my first, imperfect quilt!

So hang in there and we'll learn to do this together.

Cokie

Comment

Just remember what Jenny says, "Finished is better than perfect." Yes, quilting is a learning process. Keep on keeping on! Things will get better with time & practice. I agree -- start with the simple, beginner's patterns. Get comfortable with the basics before you launch into more difficult projects. Good luck!

Comment

Four weeks ago, I started cutting all of my fabric for my most adventurous quilt project I have attemped. I'm taking a class for it, too. It is a five layer log cabin on point..the pattern was a freebie called Spice Market. 85 blocks, five layers, 425 various sized strips, including a 3 inch center. After everything was cut, I started sewing. With my first nine blocks, I started crying. It seemed all my blocks were wonky, even though I was very precise with the cutting.
              I now have 38 squares completed. I used a heck of a lot of starch! I made notes on the pattern to not cut all strips at once and to allow myself an extra half inch if I do cut ahead. Trimming to size for a perfect square is what works for me. It's a half inch waste of material, but it saved my sanity for the future of the project...and I'm more likely to complete the quilt and not give up in frustration.
              As for all of the strips I cut that I'm not comfortable with using- I tell myself it would look great in a tiny wonky star quilt, or a pineapple paper piecing table runner. I know I'll use it eventually.

Comment

Yeah. You ARE a quilter. You have reached out to the forum and that makes it work. Just from reading this thread I have learned something that will help. Not cutting my wide borders on the WOF. I made my first quilt by myself in 1980. Since then, countless quilts. I started with BIG quilts because I needed blankets. Some were just awful. Made from scraps, batted with old blankets that had holes in them, but serviceable. Three of my children in their 40's still have the ones that were made for their beds. How can you consider those mistakes? Sew...sew...read...sew. sew 5" squares together in strips...Then sew the strips together and match the corners...now try making a block of 9 and doing the same thing. Now you know how to nest the seams. Just because the patterns attract you in the beginning...the sheer act of mindless sewing will make you happy and when you see how bright your quilts are and the way people are attracted to their simplicity, you will feel validated to move on. Sew...sew...sew.
                Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                Terry

Comment

I just packed up Night Sky. I'm about 3/4 finished and tired of it. I'll get it back out this winter. Since it was done in hexagons and designed with no Y seams, you can't change it to QAYG and do things at your leisure.

I'm seeing other things I want to play with for a while, and I have another project that has a fixed date for finishing.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha O View Post
                    I just packed up Night Sky. I'm about 3/4 finished and tired of it. I'll get it back out this winter. Since it was done in hexagons and designed with no Y seams, you can't change it to QAYG and do things at your leisure.

I'm seeing other things I want to play with for a while, and I have another project that has a fixed date for finishing.
                    I also gave up on Night Sky! I have all the fabric and have cut some but for some reason I lost interest in it very quickly. Perhaps, we can reach out to each other if we decide to start it up again. It might be more fun with a "quilting buddy"! I do that with some books and it makes the experience more fun and rewarding, not to mention meeting someone new.
                    I am Sew Blessed!
                    Alina

Comment

aw man.. the Night Sky quilt is on my summer todo list.

Right now I'm having purse piping issues. I think it's going in the UFO pile for awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by amartin24 View Post
                        I also gave up on Night Sky! I have all the fabric and have cut some but for some reason I lost interest in it very quickly. Perhaps, we can reach out to each other if we decide to start it up again. It might be more fun with a "quilting buddy"! I do that with some books and it makes the experience more fun and rewarding, not to mention meeting someone new.
                        Me too! And there is even a group on here that was started because I needed help doing it!

Kimberr...I have also been where you are. I have not quilted in the past year due to going through a painful divorce and I am about to pick it up again. I know that I will have to go slow, make lots of notes and refer to many tutorials and frequently. I always work with my laptop close by in my sewing room so I can google an issue or come here and post for help. This is the BEST forum I have ever been a part of. The people here are incredible knowledgeable and helpful and are always here to lend an ear when you are at the end of your rope! Glad to see you will forge on! Remember also...there are no quilting police! This is a process to enjoy...not to stress about. I find it mostly therapeutic...but do have days like you were having for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimber4444 View Post
                          I'm 45 years old, and started sewing back in my teen years. I was a garment maker through the years along with sewing for the home, and just decided to try my hand at quilting in the past year. I'm not sure what in the world is the problem, but it seems that in every item I've made this past year, I've had so many mistakes!

Was it like that when you first started out? I'm wondering if this hobby will get better for me.... or if I should just quit while ahead.

The thing I'm currently frustrated with is piecing backing fabric together to make it fit my front. In trying to save money I bought a few remnants. I thought I had everything worked out, and then once I sewed it together, it wasn't large enough.

Another project I sewed the borders on from the underneath and it warped the sides. I'm used to having lighter color fabric on top, so that's what I did. I wanted to put scallops in, though, and that was impossible with the puckers so I had to pull the border off, and sew them from the top. That helped immensely, but I couldn't get rid of one little ripple.

Another project I walked away from in the middle of cutting, returning to it the next day. I didn't measure the block size prior to resuming my cutting, thinking I remembered the size. I was wrong, and then had to cut down the blocks from the prior day as I was off by 3/8".

My husband told me I need to take notes on all of the videos I watch with hints and tricks. I'm thinking I also need to write down cutting sizes if I walk away from cutting mid-project.

Anyway.... did anyone else feel like it was worse before it got better? Any tips/tricks to share for those who are discouraged?

Thanks!
                          Hey girl--I, too, was a garment maker for many years before I decided to try quilting. They both require a sewing machine and that is about it as far as similarity. For one thing, when I made a garment, I finished it in a day or two. With quilting the process takes longer. Heck, it can take two days or more just to cut the pieces for a quilt. Keep in mind that this is a much slower process in many ways. Do not hurry. Hurrying is not in the quilting dictionary. Quilting is more relaxing because it is understood that the journey will take awhile. Try using precuts for a simple quilt first. Work on one aspect of quilting at a time. Precuts eliminates a great portion of cutting. Choose simple patterns at first. A simple log cabin is a good first quilt. Start out with lap size or baby quilts as they don't require as much time nor do they require as much cutting. Buy some good books and read them from cover to cover. Lynette Jensen is a good author for new quilters as is Block magazine that can be ordered from this website. Eleanor Burns is another good author for new quilters. Her books have detailed instructions which are so helpful. I still rip out seams quite a bit and my Clover seam ripper is my closest friend. Let me tell you a secret. I bought my fabric from Wal Mart for my first few quilts because I KNEW I had a lot to learn and could not see spending quilt shop prices for fabric to learn on. It was easier to relax and not worry about my mistakes when I spent $4 a yd instead of $10 a yd. I still buy cheaper fabric when I am going to make a garment until I see how it is going to fit and to see if I like the pattern. Then I will bring out the good stuff. If you enjoy the process, then just keep on practicing. You will see improvement with each project.

Comment

You came to the right place! This forum is your cheering section. I can't give you any better advice than what has already been written. I just want to tell you, we've ALL been there and we will ALL be there AGAIN. Keep on quilting, you will be so happy you did. Many blessings.

Comment

Lots of good advice here. I think just because we can make clothes, we assume we can sew straight little pieces of fabric together to make a quilt. At least I did.
                              I am finding it works best to start out with much more simple designs than I wanted to do. Just 4-patches, or tumblers, or even jelly roll race. They are still beautiful, and keep you warm. And you learn "the ropes."

Comment

I called myself STUPID just yesterday. Yes we all make mistakes.

DON'T GIVE UP!!
                                Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Working...
                                X