opinions on pinmoors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: opinions on pinmoors

I have been experimenting on alternatives to the pricey Pinmoors, and I think that I have a winner. I bought a pair of child size 2/3 flip flops on clearance today from Target for $1.18 a pair. I got almost 150 DIY Pinmoors from just one flip flop. The flip flop foam is more dense than craft foam, and it seems to grip the pins very well. I have to give it a good tug to pull them apart. The children's flip flops that I bought are about 9/16" thick, and the adult version are a full 5/8" thick. I like the 9/16" thickness better, and I was able to cut them easily with my kitchen shears. I cut them into about 3/8" x 3/8"pieces. Some of them are a little bigger than that. I have a quilt layered, and I'm going to give them a try. I'll post a follow up tomorrow.

Comment

I got about half of the quilt quilted today, and the flip flop foam works great! All of the pins stayed attached until I disconnected them from the foam cap. I found an extra large pair of adult flip flops at WalMart today for 98 cents. They are solid green with no designs printed on them, and the foam is 1/2" thick. They grip the pins just as well as the ones that I got yesterday.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0964.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	205.0 KB
ID:	1605847Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0965.jpg
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	1605848Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0968.jpg
Size:	208.2 KB
ID:	1605849
      Last edited by JillRN1995; July 16th, 2016, 01:38 AM.

Comment

I was able to get 275 pin caps from just one XL flip flop. . Don't use flip flop foam that is stiff, make sure that you can compress it when you pinch it.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0970.jpg
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	1605850

Comment

I was not impressed either and prefer my quilt pins.
          sigpic Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
          Time spent with cats is never wasted.
          Sigmund Freud

Comment

I tried the foam earplug hack and it was a disaster because of my cat. He was relentless in seeking out the bits of foam and playing with them. Just like he is with drinking straws. Then I found the dog was chewing on a piece the cat had abandoned on the floor! Yipes! So I went back to safety pins for projects I want to pin. I don't want to take the risk and I just can't be that vigilant living in an apartment.

Comment

Originally posted by JillRN1995 View Post
              I got about half of the quilt quilted today, and the flip flop foam works great! All of the pins stayed attached until I disconnected them from the foam cap. I found an extra large pair of adult flip flops at WalMart today for 98 cents. They are solid green with no designs printed on them, and the foam is 1/2" thick. They grip the pins just as well as the ones that I got yesterday.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]133069[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]133070[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]133071[/ATTACH]
              Thanks for the idea! I think I might try that for small projects.
              Sheryl

Comment

I have them and use them and love them. I'm just not good enough with safety pins but the pinmoors enable you to use thinner pins, causing less disruption. I also do something strange-I use them in conjunction with basting spray or fusible batting.

Comment

I love them. Use them on smaller projects like pillows and table runners where I don't have to scrunch my top a lot (I quilt up to king size on my DSM so for big quilts I still thread baste using cotton tatting thread). Also ended up using them when I hem for others - especially children. Never stick anyone anymore when they slip the pants or skirts on and off! Have used them to point baste clothing when I try it on too.

Comment

I bought a large bucket of foam beads and used them. Worked pretty good but I am happier with the results I get by the board/basting method
                    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
                      This is what I use! Purchased mine at The Home Depot for about $3.30
                      Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link:
                      http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Comment

Working...
                      X