Impressive yet EASY block..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Impressive yet EASY block..

What block do you all think is the most amazing LOOKING block...but is dead simple to make?

I am feeling a bit naughty and wanting to show off a little when the new session of Quilt class starts....so I would like to do a block that looks like only a pro could do it....but is so simple I can do it..lol

Ideas?

Cheers
    Maybe the most any of us can expect of ourselves isn't perfection but progress.
    Michelle Burford

Re: Impressive yet EASY block..

Have you watched Jenny's tutorials? Lots of ideas there. The easy pinwheels, the dresden using the ruler. Have fun, watch the tutes and pick a block.
    Jo :icon_wave:

Comment

Love the dresden ones..No patience for hand sewing...also I get pains in my hands often and can't manipulate the needles...I had to give up crochet..:-(

But will look at the others..

Was really wondering which ones you all found most fun and EASY to do...:-)

J
      Maybe the most any of us can expect of ourselves isn't perfection but progress.
      Michelle Burford

Comment

did you ever see the square in a square technique by jodi barrows?? these are really fun and easy and it looks like a pro had to do it.
        I am such a material girl!!!!!:icon_wave: Nena

Comment

I like the Disappearing Nine Patch....looks like a LOT of work, but it's not. I also love the one where you use 5" squares and sew jellyroll strips around them. I'm making one of these right now from the Luna Notte line by Moda and I'm loving it. I think for this one you need really gorgeous fabric. Is this possibly the square in a square than Nena mentioned (above)? Barb
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

i think that it is similar. You can use what ever you want in the middle of the square and then you sew strips around all four sides. You use the square in a square ruler and cut it. Different option cuts make different designs.
            I am such a material girl!!!!!:icon_wave: Nena

Comment

I have been devouring a library book (renewed it three times-guess I need to buy it) by Marsha McCloskey called Block Party. It's from 1998 so some blocks have improved ways of making them, but it has 120 rotary cut blocks, most of them easy and pretty and look very complicated. I highly recommend this book! Don't buy it on Amazon until tomorrow, though. I need to order mine first.
              Cyndi

“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.” - Victor Hugo

Comment

I like the 10 min block. Super easy but looks like you spent a lot of time on it.
                sigpicDream, Explore, Experience!

Comment

Originally posted by Bubby View Post
                  I like the Disappearing Nine Patch....looks like a LOT of work, but it's not.
                  I second that motion Barb!
                  I like the DP9 too! have to say think it's my fav.
                  Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant.-Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

I'm with Suzy, the 10 minute block looks great - but is easy and works great with pre-cuts.

Happy sewing!

Comment

I'm so sick of the 10 minute block after doing over 150 of them for 8 quilts I had to make. It only looks impressive if you do the cathedral curve at the end. I do find the 3rd seam somewhat tricky unless you pin the heck out of it. It slips around everywhere.

My favorites that always take my breath away and are quite easy are Bargello Quilts and String Block quilts. The String-x pattern looks like it was TONS of work due to the number of scrappy strips you use but it is super easy!
                      Katie's Quilting Corner - Blog, Podcast and More!
                      Don't miss Free Pattern Friday posts!
                      Pinterest

Comment

Katie,

Thanks for the website for the string-x pattern. Bonnie Hunter's website is awesome and there are a ton of free patterns with color pictures and great directions.

I love it already!

Cyndi
                        Last edited by cyndiofthevortex; November 18th, 2011, 11:56 AM.
                        Cyndi

“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.” - Victor Hugo

Comment

I never like hand stitching but I just tried the dresden. So instead of hand stitching down, I used my small blanket stitch all around the blades and around the middle circle. Looks amazing - although it was a little slow going for the first one.

Comment

Originally posted by Beakkmom View Post
                            I'm with Suzy, the 10 minute block looks great - but is easy and works great with pre-cuts.

Happy sewing!
                            I'M with Suzy and Beakmom. Super fast and easy. The 10 minute block is my pick for sure.

Comment

I don't know what the 10 minute block is. Can someone explain what it is?
                              Cyndi

Comment

Working...
                              X