Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you consider quilting designs before starting a quilt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mary Ann
    replied
    Re: Do you consider quilting designs before starting a quilt?

I don't even think about the quilting until the top is done and sandwiched. I'm not into FMQ much, and will only do it if I think the quilt requires it. Straight, or wavy lines are my general preference. I do have one huge quilt top done that has been sitting for a few years because I don't know what to do with it. Luckily, I don't need another quilt so it can wait forever if need be.

Leave a comment:

• sew-what2015
    replied

Originally posted by seaturtle View Post
    I'm a "fools rush in..." kind of person - I jump in and start doing before I ever figure out that I can't do it...yet. I have a table runner that gives me the giggles every time I look at it, but it was my first attempt at FMQing and I love it! My kids can toss it when I'm gone, but for now it's on the table in the family room. Meandering is fun and relaxing and a great way to practice. I have found that my grandkids think anything made just for them is terrific. My daughter...not so much. Just keep practicing.
    When I first started quilting, I was one of those 'fools-rush-in'.
    If I messed up a project, it was no big deal. I miss those days.

Leave a comment:

• seaturtle
    replied

I'm a "fools rush in..." kind of person - I jump in and start doing before I ever figure out that I can't do it...yet. I have a table runner that gives me the giggles every time I look at it, but it was my first attempt at FMQing and I love it! My kids can toss it when I'm gone, but for now it's on the table in the family room. Meandering is fun and relaxing and a great way to practice. I have found that my grandkids think anything made just for them is terrific. My daughter...not so much. Just keep practicing.

Leave a comment:

• Do you consider quilting designs before starting a quilt?

I do.
    Nowadays, I bypass making quilts from many nice patterns because of quilting woes. Before starting a quilt, the quilting itself has to be considered. If I can't figure out a simple design, that pattern is a no-no, although it is saved in my quilt folder. I feel unhappy knowing that there is something I want to try but won't. I have donated a few quilts to animal shelters because of the poor quilting job. Can't afford to do that any longer and LAer is also costly.
    I have a small machine with a small throat area, but have a PQ 1500 Brother ordered....hoping that will help. Know from many of your posts and links that straight lines can be anything but boring but they are time-consuming to learn.
    I have practiced FMQ and can do fair with blocks but can't see myself managing a full size quilt all done with FMQ...it's a daunting task.
    Any others who consider quilting design before starting a quilt?
    Here is a link to the quilt I am now doing. I figure I can just do a straight line of quilting diagonally through the light areas, passing through the area where the dark cornerstones meet.
    Coming Out by donna poster - Craftsy
    Last edited by sew-what2015; March 16, 2016, 05:53 AM.
Working...
X