Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you consider quilting designs before starting a quilt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you consider quilting designs before starting a quilt?

I do.
    Nowadays, I bypass making quilts from many nice patterns because of quilting woes. Before starting a quilt, the quilting itself has to be considered. If I can't figure out a simple design, that pattern is a no-no, although it is saved in my quilt folder. I feel unhappy knowing that there is something I want to try but won't. I have donated a few quilts to animal shelters because of the poor quilting job. Can't afford to do that any longer and LAer is also costly.
    I have a small machine with a small throat area, but have a PQ 1500 Brother ordered....hoping that will help. Know from many of your posts and links that straight lines can be anything but boring but they are time-consuming to learn.
    I have practiced FMQ and can do fair with blocks but can't see myself managing a full size quilt all done with FMQ...it's a daunting task.
    Any others who consider quilting design before starting a quilt?
    Here is a link to the quilt I am now doing. I figure I can just do a straight line of quilting diagonally through the light areas, passing through the area where the dark cornerstones meet.
    Coming Out by donna poster - Craftsy
    Last edited by sew-what2015; March 16, 2016, 06:53 AM.

Re: Do you consider quilting designs before starting a quilt?

I'm a "fools rush in..." kind of person - I jump in and start doing before I ever figure out that I can't do it...yet. I have a table runner that gives me the giggles every time I look at it, but it was my first attempt at FMQing and I love it! My kids can toss it when I'm gone, but for now it's on the table in the family room. Meandering is fun and relaxing and a great way to practice. I have found that my grandkids think anything made just for them is terrific. My daughter...not so much. Just keep practicing.
    Cindy

Comment

Originally posted by seaturtle View Post
      I'm a "fools rush in..." kind of person - I jump in and start doing before I ever figure out that I can't do it...yet. I have a table runner that gives me the giggles every time I look at it, but it was my first attempt at FMQing and I love it! My kids can toss it when I'm gone, but for now it's on the table in the family room. Meandering is fun and relaxing and a great way to practice. I have found that my grandkids think anything made just for them is terrific. My daughter...not so much. Just keep practicing.
      When I first started quilting, I was one of those 'fools-rush-in'.
      If I messed up a project, it was no big deal. I miss those days.

Comment

I don't even think about the quilting until the top is done and sandwiched. I'm not into FMQ much, and will only do it if I think the quilt requires it. Straight, or wavy lines are my general preference. I do have one huge quilt top done that has been sitting for a few years because I don't know what to do with it. Luckily, I don't need another quilt so it can wait forever if need be.

Comment

Call me a fool because I always rush in. I never think ahead even about my skill level. If I like it, I become obsessed that I must try it and so I rush to order fabric, rush to cut it out, start sewing and that is when I realize I might be in over my head. lol. But alas, I am never disappointed in myself because it is MY hobby and I had fun.
          success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
          Terry of NC

Comment

I let the finished top speak to me about what kind of quilting it will get. I do my own on my everyday machine. No long arm here nor could I afford my hobby if all were sent out
            sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
            Time spent with cats is never wasted.
            Sigmund Freud

Comment

As I get close to completing the top, I begin to consider quilting motifs as I am sewing. I quilt on a Janome 8900. It's what I have so I make it work. Cross-hatching can be problematic but I take it slow. So far I haven't come across anything I can't do, but some things I decide I don't want to do after trying them! Other times, I just grit my teeth and continue on because it's the look I want.
              The trail is the thing----Louis L'Amour

Comment

Hand quilter here. I don't worry about the quilting til the top is done, then I let it "tell" me what it needs.

Comment

I also don't worry about the quilting. For me, simple is usually better than complex (and usually makes a softer quilt). And I think that some FMQ looks best on large solid areas, and not on smaller patchwork. The exception would be an all over design. But a problem with an all over design is the color of the thread. Sometimes one color just doesn't seem to work across the whole quilt. If all else fails, my default is either stitch-in-the-ditch (yes, I enjoy it!) or some kind of outline or echo stitching.
                  If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

I decide when top is done, have a midarm love it I am not great ,however my thought is enjoy where I am at and what the quilt going to be used for? Mostly do drag quilts not brag quilts. They are loved no matter what. Think we are to often to critical of ourselves

Comment

I am like you Sew-what2015. I do not FMQ. I can't even doodle decently so am afraid what it would look like. I haven't taken the walking foot class from Craftsy yet so that leaves me with straight line quilting. I have finished a top before then struggled with how to quilt it. I am now considering how I could quilt it before I make it. There are quilts I would like to try but won't because I can't afford to send them out to a LA'r. : (

Comment

I don't usually think about quilting until it's about time to quilt it! I have done a lot of straight line quilting. Sometimes I do straight lines in diagonals. But, once in a while I'll do real FMQ. Often, I try to pull a motif from the fabric print. If I find one suitable, I'll then trace it onto quilting paper many times and then stitch through the paper. Works pretty well for me. I am trying to get used to using rulers but that skill is coming slowly. I'm actually fond of the tried and true all-over meander, so I choose that a lot. But, to really answer your question....I almost never plan the quilting ahead of time. What I choose to do is often based on how tired I am of the quilt! And I'm ALWAYS tired of the quilt!

Comment

I can do fmq or block quilting on small quilts but to be honest when I get to queen or king I have it quilted. I can not do that big on my machine and after not realizing I had broke the pointer finger on my dominate hand and allowing it become slightly deformed hand quilting is impossible.
                          sigpic my goal is to be as good a person as my dogs already think I am

Comment

I also don't really think much about a FMQ pattern until the quilt top is finished & sandwiched. I will considedr various patterns until a certain one feels right. I review patterns in my 2 Angela Walters' books. I also have other books to which I refer. I think certain quilts "speak" to us about which pattern would look right. I usually don't contemplate a quilting pattern before I start a project or while I'm in the piecing process.

Comment

Thank you for replying. Always nice to read about other points of view.

Comment

Working...
                              X