Automatic thread cutter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automatic thread cutter

I don't know how to fix this. Sunday, my Brother's thread cutter started acting up.
    When I use it now, it pulls the thread out of my needle. Anyone else have this problem? How do I fix it?
    Thank you
    Julie

Re: Automatic thread cutter

I don't know how the brother sewing machines thread cutter is, however, years ago, my thread cutter just didn't cut thread any longer so I employed my husband for a solution. He attached a small razor blade to the back of my machine (like an exacto knife blade) and it worked well for years.
    success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
    Terry of NC

Comment

I turned mine off. It saves a lot of stress.
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

I think this may be something that has to be done by a repair person. I have a Babylock, and I know it is similar to some Brother machines. I have been taking my machine in for regular servicing for the last 5 years, and they often replace the cutter, even though I was not experiencing any problems. To me, this means this is a weak area in the machine design. Perhaps for your machine as well.

I have stopped using the auto cutter, as it causes difficulties in bringing up the bobbin thread for the next round of sewing. Instead, I pull both threads and use the cutter that is on the side of my machine - like Jenny does.
        If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

Thanks, guess I'll have to stop using it, but, it was sew great to just push the button and tada.

Comment

The first thing I would do is take off the throat plate and make sure it is retracting the way it is supposed to. If it is in the out position, just gently push it back. It could have some stray threads caught in it, which will cause it to act up. If you have never had your plate off, chances are there is a lot of fuzz and fluff built up, which can cause a multitude of problems. Take out your bobbin case and using a soft brush (I use a small pain brush) to clean all of that out. Do NOT use canned air or blow in it. 90% of all of my machines issues can be fixed by cleaning it out, unless it is out of time. Try this and see if it works. BTW...all of my machines are Brothers.
            Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
            sigpic

Comment

I've never had any problems with the thread cutter on my Viking Opal 670. I really like this feature. However, I do clean the bobbin area frequently. I have a friend who has one of the Baby Lock models with a thread cutter. She doesn't like it because it cuts off the thread too short, & the thread often slips out of the needle. My machine leaves about a 2" length.

Comment

Mine isn't cutting but I think it needs a new blade. The machine goes in for routine service this week and I'm also going to ask for a replacement blade. I think I could change it myself when it gets dull since I was able to take out the blade and re-install it.

Comment

I find that the needle comes unthreaded more often when using a curly thread. Aurifil is a curly thread. Some threads are straight coming off of the spool and some are not. Also, some people don't know to always take your work out of the machine by sliding it to the back of the machine and not pull it toward you. I know that fuzz and lint will cause the sensor that tells the machine your bobbin is getting low will not work if there is too much lint and fuzz in the bobbin area. I clean the bobbin area of my machine real often and I always remove the metal throat plate when I clean. I was surprised when I took a new owner's class for the Babylock Crescendo that the dealer mentioned in class not to take the metal plate off which I disagreed with. It is impossible to clean in and around the feed dogs without taking that plate off. Also, I like to use the single needle plate when piecing and fmq but switch to the zig zag plate when doing regular sewing that might require a zig zag, buttonhole, or decorative stitch.

Comment

About the only machine I use the thread cutter on is my Juki, and it is controlled by the foot pedal. One of the many reasons I love that boy!
                    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I also have the Viking Opal 670. I had problems and took it back. Found out all you have to do is put a scrap piece and cut it..sew..and it will clear itself. So, now when it happens, I re-thread top and bobbin, run it through and cut a few times and it will clear. Mine gets hung up sometimes and that is what I do. However, not sure if that is the case with a Brother.

Comment

My Brother will do this if there is any thread caught in the cutter. Take throatplate off and clean out the dust. Use an index card to slide under the cutter to get any threads there. Do not use air to blow it out. Also make sure you are loading the bobbin correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by jcraven58 View Post
                          Thanks, guess I'll have to stop using it, but, it was sew great to just push the button and tada.
                          "I've found that if I use my needle down position when I use the automatic thread cutter, then pull the fabric to the back, I don't get the problem with the thread pulling out of the needle." I found that quote on the Quilt Show Blog.

Here is the entire process in my words:

1. Press the "knot it off" button.
                          2. Press "start" and watch it go up and down and perform the knot.
                          3. If the needle remains in the down position, press the "cut" button. Otherwise needle down and then press cut.
                          4. Raise the presser foot and pull fabric to the back. (I guess so; I bring the fabric towards me.)
                          5. Needle down/up and manually pull on that pesky bobbin thread getting it to where you need it.

It is still an improvement to tying it off and burying the thread when quilting. Yes, there are the shorty threads left on the reverse side of your quilt. As per others, these will "disappear" when the quilt is washed; they just shrink away into the quilt. I don't believe it; I snip them off.

Also, I have no idea where to adjust the length of the thread tail on a Janome Memory Craft 6600P. If such a thing does exist, there is no mention of it in the manual.

Comment

Working...
                          X