AQS Quilt week.. What to expect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AQS Quilt week.. What to expect?

I'm sure many of you have gone to this and I'm hoping for some insight. What is it? I came across this and figured I'd go and check it out. Is it shopping or just venders displaying things????? If it's shopping, are things on sale? I saw some classes are offered. So can someone help out this newbie and explain?

Re: AQS Quilt week.. What to expect?

It's all the above and much, much more! I suggest you go to AQS's site and check it all out. It's not only the quilt show, but the whole town. Plenty of quilt places to see, make sure you stop at the AQS museum, and check for vendors that are outside of the venue. There was an entire vendor venue at the mall and veterans building there, too! Oh, and for heaven's sake, stop at Hancocks of Paducah! You could spend an entire day just in that store - if you can get around. It's crazy busy during the show, but they have fantastic sales then! And don't forget the back room where they have crazy markdowns!
    Tenacity: The quality or fact of being very determined; determination.

Comment

AQS holds "Quilt Week" in several locations every year. CindiRae was referring to Paducah KY where it originated. My friend and I are planning on going to the one in Daytona in a couple of weeks and I see there is one coming up in PA , so maybe that is the one you are asking about? I have never been before, so don't know exactly what to expect. I do know that M* has a booth in Daytona!
      Donna

Comment

NoodleDoodle - I go every year. I've lost count but I think this is probably my 10th time I've gone - could be more, could be less. Anywhoo - I usually go with a few girlfriends and we stay overnight. It used to be a 3 to 4 day thing with us where we would sit in the hottub in the evenings (try to find a hotel with one of those in them there now). We'd laugh our butts off while soaking our tired bodies from walking all day. The reason we would take 3 to 4 days is because we would spend one day hitting all the local shops, one day at the Continental Inn on Route 30 and one day for the main AQS show.

For a newbie - here is what I suggest. I don't know how far you have to drive to get there or how many days you can spend there. I would start at the vendors at the Continental Inn in the morning. There are 2 floors of vendors. (these people separated from the main show years ago for whatever reason I am not sure of). If you only have one day to go - get your shuttle bus ticket 1st thing in the morning. They will take you to the convention center and pick you up and deliver you back to the Continental Inn later in the day - be sure to find out the pick up times and where they will pick you up at. I think if you get your ticket early enough, you might be able to choose your departure time, I am not sure. The convention center has 3 floors of vendors that sell everything from fat quarters to longarms. Yes, I am sure there are deals but also know that you could probably get better prices if you hit the shops in Intercourse and Bird In Hand. Some of those shops like Zooks and Old Country Store have extended hours. We decided that we will skip the shops this time because we always go sometime in the Spring later or during the summer when they are not so crowded. Burkeholders and Martins have extended hours also. If you pull up fabric shops in Lancaster on google, there is a site you can click on (I'll look this up and get back on here and let you know what it is) that lists hours and phone numbers if you want to call them and ask them if they have extended hours that week. Martins has a downstairs that is awesome. Fabric Shack has great prices on precuts and a back room of clearance along with great prices on flannels. Truthfully, I got lost finding some of these places but I found them one summer when I just took off with directions and map in hand to try to find my way around (and that was in downpours and lightening so if I can do it, so can you).
        I would say I would meet up with you but since it is held in the winter and I don't drive on snowy days, it's always last minute for me if I am going and where we are going.
        Off to find that google site for you - be right back.
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
        http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
        http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

Good info!
          I plan to attend the AQS in Paducah this year.
          My first time!
          I am hoping to find a good deal on a long-arm.

Sheep Farmer by day....sigpic....Quilter-in-Training by night
          The Farmmyfarm

Comment

Ok - here you go
            1st - when I said Martins (that was not the place I was thinking of - so I won't say anything about Martins cause I am not sure about them.)
            type in Lancaster County PA Fabric Shops on google and scroll down to where you see it says Lancaster County, PA Fabric Shops click on that. It will give you hours (which give you the special hours for the show). I would phone them to see what they are.
            Weavers Dry Goods is out of the way but they are the ones with a basement with great prices. You get on route 10 north from route 30 and go 10 miles. You turn left at a light and they are on the left past a farm.
            Burkeholders is in Denver. I always have a hard time finding this place.
            Sauders is closed. They merged with Zooks (in Intercourse).
            Zooks, Old Country Store, Quilt and Fabric Shack (with the great precut prices), Sylvia Petersheim (she sells out of her home in the basement and usually has a huge garage open too), Log Cabin (my favorite place) are all located in Intercourse or Bird in Hand. The best place to park for the Old Country Store and Zooks is behind the Old Country Store. There is a red light and the parking lot is large. Zooks is across the street on the right from the Old Country Store. Just ask someone, they will tell you.
            Also, if there is time or maybe want to check it out in the summer is Obies and Zinck's Fabric Outlet in Goodville. I love Obies - that was mentioned on the forum here about how packed it is and I would never do that place during the AQS week. She does have strange hours and closes early on Wednesdays so I would do that place another time. If you have claustrophobia - forget Obies. Trust me. The fabric outlet is a huge warehouse that sells everything that has to do with sewing/quilting. They are kind of across the street from Obies - they have a sign on the main street.
            Wear comfy shoes - it's all walking at the AQS show. Don't touch any of the quilts on display, they go crazy when someone does that. And - have fun!
            If I can be of any more help, just holler!
            edit - that site DOES NOT give you the extended hours for the show week. You have to call the shops to find out.
            Sometimes people that have never been to a show just want to do the main show which is at the Convention Center in downtown Lancaster. I don't know where to park for that as we always just get a ticket at the Continental Inn for the shuttle bus. Anyways, with 3 floors of vendors and gobs of people, sometimes just doing the Convention Center is enough for one day. Just a thought. I would expect to pay higher prices for fabric at the show - I read somewhere that vendors are required to charge regular retail prices for their stuff.
            Last edited by quiltingtrish; February 17, 2016, 06:03 PM.

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

Thank you for the responses and info!! And yes I'm going to the one in PA. QuiltingTrish thanks for the extra local info! I am dragging my poor hubby along. I felt really bad asking him to go because our 10th anniversary falls in that timeframe. The only thing he really said was that the people who run it should have a lounge area with TV for the husbands and they should hand him a beer as soon as he walks in the door. Lol. Like its his door prize for bringing me. Lol. But anywho, we are gonna stay 2 days. I was hoping that was enough time to get thru everything.
              Sheep farmer I was hoping to check out the long arms as well. Do they let you test drive them??

Comment

You will find areas where some husbands sit and relax. They sometimes even have packages sitting around their feet while their wives shop. haha! They have comfy chairs at the front of the hotel up one level where you purchase your show tickets. Have fun!

Comment

Quiltingtrish gave you all the info you need so have a great time. I also started going about 10 years ago until advancing arthritis in my knees made me stop. I'd go for a few days with a quilting friend and we would met up with online quilting pals from other states to go to the show, shop the many fabric shops (Zooks was always my favorite). We stayed at Country Living Inn (don't think they are on the loop for the shuttle buses to the show). We liked it because it was cozy and we'd hang out in each others rooms at night and on Friday night we'd have Show and Tell in the motel's meeting room, Quiltingtrish joined us many times for Show and Tell as we know each other from Alex Anderson's old message board. Here's a photo from a few years ago.
                  LANCASTER 2010a.jpg.

PS: Last time I attended the show there were sections with chairs so the DH's could sit and relax while their DW's toured the show and shopped the many vendors
                  Last edited by MayinJerset; February 18, 2016, 06:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NoodleDoodle View Post
                    Thank you for the responses and info!! And yes I'm going to the one in PA. QuiltingTrish thanks for the extra local info! I am dragging my poor hubby along. I felt really bad asking him to go because our 10th anniversary falls in that timeframe. The only thing he really said was that the people who run it should have a lounge area with TV for the husbands and they should hand him a beer as soon as he walks in the door. Lol. Like its his door prize for bringing me. Lol. But anywho, we are gonna stay 2 days. I was hoping that was enough time to get thru everything.
                    Sheep farmer I was hoping to check out the long arms as well. Do they let you test drive them??
                    Yes. They do allow you to test drive them. thumbUp.gif
                    Although I'm leaning towards an HQ Avante, I still want to check them all out.

And ... some vendors are friendlier than others. I just don't buy from the unfriendly vendors.

Last year at an AQS show I went specifically to buy a Horn sewing table since mine had broken last year (it's over 30 yrs old). I walked up to the sales lady and figured I'd strike up a convo with her. I told her that I have a Horn table and absolutely love it. She immediately turned and walked away (I guess she thought I already had a table and was not going to buy.) I never bothered to continue my conversation and explain that my table had broke and I was there to buy another one. Fortunately, my Hubby figured out a way to MacGiver my old table so I'm still using it. That sales lady's rudeness saved me a ton of $$$.
                    wink.png

Sheep Farmer by day....sigpic....Quilter-in-Training by night
                    The Farmmyfarm

Comment

NoodleDoodle - just want to correct one of my directions. For Weavers, it's not Route 10 north, it's off Route 30 (west from Lancaster) onto Route 501 north (turn right off the exit) and then you turn left at one of the lights 10 miles up at Brubaker Valley Road. It's worth the trip especially when you hit the basement. It's just past a farm on the left.

Comment

Thank you quilting trish for the update. Now to see how much I can get in on these 2 days. I may have to go back another time to try and hit up the fabric stores.

Comment

Working...
                        X