Best pen to sign quilt squares with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best pen to sign quilt squares with?

I have made a small quilt with some blank squares I want the members of my guild to sign. What is the best pen to use for a yellow cotton material? Something easy to write with that won't wash out? Thanks for any suggestions!
    Connie

Our lives are like quilts – bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

Re: Best pen to sign quilt squares with?

I use the Pigma Micron archival ink pen to sign my quilts on the back. It's a very fine point, suggest you practice on a piece of fabric to get the hang of how hard to press and how fast to move the pen. Made in Japan. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by surfergirl View Post
      I use the Pigma Micron archival ink pen to sign my quilts on the back. It's a very fine point, suggest you practice on a piece of fabric to get the hang of how hard to press and how fast to move the pen. Made in Japan. Hope this helps.
      That's what I had the retreat attendees use at the Was advised that the .5 was a bit too fine so I got the .8 and it worked very well. Didn't think of having a piece of fabric to practice on ... but everyone signed their own charm and they all came out very nice and readable! The black ink worked especially well on the yellow fabric....
      Memory Falling Charm 2.jpg
      Last edited by Judy, USMC; January 11, 2016, 01:46 AM.

Comment

Pentel Arts Gel Roller for Fabric - Amazon.com: Pentel Arts Gel Roller for Fabric, 1.0mm Bold Lines, Permanent, Black Ink, Pack of 2 (BN15BP2A): Office Products
        If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

I recently did two posts about this after much experimenting. I'm making a wedding quilt for my niece, and wanted to make sure those signatures hold up over the years! Hope this helps....

How I prepared the fabric, collected the sample signatures and chose pens:
          The great signature quilt pen debate (Part 1) | Seams to be you and me

And what I found:
          The Great Signature Pen Debate ? the final decision | Seams to be you and me

Good luck on finding the perfect pen for you!
          Last edited by cindirae; January 11, 2016, 03:14 AM.
          Tenacity: The quality or fact of being very determined; determination.

Comment

WOW on the great signature pen debate. Very interesting. I usually use a Sharpie fine - but I iron on a piece of freezer paper to stabilize it. Then iron it with a hot iron. I'll have to inspect the quilts close by to see how that pen held up.

Comment

Originally posted by Patsquilting View Post
              WOW on the great signature pen debate. Very interesting. I usually use a Sharpie fine - but I iron on a piece of freezer paper to stabilize it. Then iron it with a hot iron. I'll have to inspect the quilts close by to see how that pen held up.
              I was shocked, too, Pat. I figured the Sharpie would be the most reliable, as it doesn't come off my clothes, or my skin, lol. My test was done by ironing the fabric to freezer paper and hot-ironing the signatures about 8 hours after I got home from the party. Of course, like I said, results may vary. This was just how it worked out where I live. I'll be interested in hearing what you've found in your inspection!
              Last edited by cindirae; January 11, 2016, 05:19 AM.

Comment

Thank you, Cindi, for posting the pen results!
                It's good to know that the Nano's hold up better than the Microns.
                I remember also reading similar results on another Art forum a while ago.
                I love that idea of the wedding signatures.
                Do you have these blocks sewn yet?

Sheep Farmer by day....sigpic....Quilter-in-Training by night
                The Farmmyfarm

Comment

Originally posted by Sheep Farmer View Post
                  Thank you, Cindi, for posting the pen results!
                  It's good to know that the Nano's hold up better than the Microns.
                  I remember also reading similar results on another Art forum a while ago.
                  I love that idea of the wedding signatures.
                  Do you have these blocks sewn yet?
                  I don't have it together yet. Just got the blocks back from my niece in the order she wants them. Hopefully soon!

Comment

Working...
                  X