Ironing board cover replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ironing board cover replacement

I know it's a little strange to be asking this but I desperately need a new ironing board cover! My actual ironing board is at least 30 yrs old and I have no idea what brand it is. Last year I got a new cover for it at Jo Ann's that was very pricey, around $25, talk about a piece of you know what!! So chintzy on the material, I could barely make it fit. It has not held up well at all and is patched in so many places that sometimes I get ridges in my work when I iron. So I went on Amazon to order one--geez they must have 50 diff brands, and just about all the reviews are this is the best one ever! I mean, comeon how hard can this be to pick out a new one?! Anybody have any recommendations? I am not interested in some cutesy print, I prefer a plain one so I can see what I am pressing.
    Last edited by jjkaiser; January 5, 2016, 11:11 AM.

Re: Ironing board cover replacement

I need a new one, too! I'm ashamed to say how old it is....going to watch this thread.

Comment

I have no recommendations for you. As I need a new one myself, I'll be interested in what others have to say.

Was thinking about taking my old one and use it as a pattern to make a new one.
      sigpic
      Keep Calm and Quilt On!
      Wishing all a happy and healthy 2016.
      Paula

Comment

You can buy that reflective fabric at Hancock and use what ever fabric you want to cover it.

Comment

I just go to Wal-Mart. They have several to choose from, and you can take it back if it doesn't work for you. My board is at least as old as yours, probably older, since I got it when my kids were small. That would make it early 70's or so.

Comment

I make my own with a nice weight piece of cotton , just lay down your fabric wrong side up, put your ironing board on top of it board side down and trace. Add several inches for hem, casing and thickness of the board. Run a hem all the way around or use seam binding to make a casing . At this point you can either put a drawstring through it and tie it snug or use elastic.
            sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
            Time spent with cats is never wasted.
            Sigmund Freud

Comment

I actually looked at ironing boards at WalMart last week. They carry a few different sizes, even wide ones. It's worth a peek. I'm not sure if you just want a new cover or a whole new board. I bought a new cover a month ago and it featured a pocket attached to the cover to keep your starch or whatever in. That lasted about 2 minutes and I cut it off. The pocket was made from the same cheap fabric as the cover. There are patterns online for the covers. I covered a 24x24 of plywood with cotton batting (2 layers) and then a piece of canvas and I use that most of the time.
              Last edited by Bubby; January 5, 2016, 12:10 PM.
              sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I made my own out of that silver, padded fabric sold at Joann's. It has hed up a lot better than the thin cotton ones they charge $25/00 for
                K is for Karen 😊​ Albuquerque, NM..................
                Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                T - is it TRUE?
                H - is it HELPFUL?
                I - is it INSPIRING?
                N - is it NECESSARY?
                K - is it KIND?

Comment

I make my own and have several to choose from, depending on my mood and which ironing board I'm using at the time. I pre-wash my fabric before I make them so I can reuse them, and try to always remember to press a sheet of freezer paper to it when I put it back on the ironing board, straight out of the dryer. (The freezer paper keeps my applique work from taking over the clean cover.) It's pretty easy to make your own; I'm happy to give any pointers needed. Maybe Jenny will do a tutorial...?
                  Barbara
                  http://www.etsy.com/shop/CraftySweetPeas

Comment

I made my own too.
                    https://www.pinterest.com/search/pin...tocomplete%7C4
                    🌺 Lorie

Comment

I made my own using a tutorial from Crazy Mom Quilts. Not difficult at all. Look out for a coupon from Joanns for the supplies, and it will be less than $25, will fit your ironing board, and will be whatever color you want!

Comment

I have purchased my last couple ones from Target and have been pleased. They have a variety to choose from but I always go with the plain ones.
                        Annie
                        "The Mountains are calling and I must go" John Muir

Comment

When my friend removed her ironing board cover to replace, she noticed a tag that said it had a warranty. So she called and they have sent replacements a couple of times. So, check the old one, it may have a warranty.

I do plan on making one to fit a table that I plan on making But, for now, I buy replacements at Walmart.
                          One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!

Comment

I use nothing but the silver silicone ironing board covers. I could not find one locally, esp. in the length size of my board, which is longer than some of them. I've ordered my recent ones from Amazon. They were <$15. They hold up well & reflect the heat of the iron. I also use this cover on the ironing board I have sitting next to my sewing table which gives me extra table space when sewing quilt tops. The silicone is smoother & the fabric slides across it more easily.

Comment

For some reason I go through ironing board covers almost yearly. I have both made and bought mine. Last one I replaced, I bought from Wally,over a year ago. Paid about $12 for it,still in great shape . Kathy
                              All quilts cat tested and approved.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X